1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Newspaper Bag - Help required

Discussion in 'Creative Crafts' started by AkilaMani, Sep 8, 2014.

1. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi All,

I am planning to give gifts for Navarathri in newspaper bags. It is my humble attempt to reduce usage of plastics.

My queries are:

1. A link to simple step-by-step to making newspaper bag. I have seen a few on youtube, but would like to know of other easier ways.

2. Will the bag hold a reasonable weight? I will be giving A medium size coconut, blouse material, a stainless steel plate/bowl, and a few regular articles of not much weight.

Thanks in advance.

2. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

How to Make a Paper Bag: 11 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow

Dear OP...if you want stronger bags that can hold heavier stuff ...you could layer the paper.Just stck 2-3 layers.The middle layers can be newspaper.

Or you could stick thin cloth to the paper on the inside ...and then make the bag.

Since you are environment friendly...why don't you replace paper with cloth .You could use old sarees,dupattas and embellish them a little.Make them big enough so that they could be used for normal day to day grocery shopping too.This bag will be used many times unlike a paper bag that will anyways be thrown away.

Naturally Frugal Tip: 4 Ways to Make Reuseable Grocery Bags

Indian Sari Fabric Tassel Jeweled Red Gold Medallion Brocade Silk Fav

Another alternative is to use cartons like Cornflake boxes .You just have to cover them with paper or cloth ....and add two string handles.You could make some ethnic design on the outside of the box.

...kraftaria..: Quilled peacock on a Gift bag

Cereal Box Tote Bag | Crafts | Spoonful

To make it stronger...you could just cut a piece of card board or and thick paper and put it in the bottom of the box.

Hope you like the ideas.I have used the cornflake boxes and juice boxes to make gift bags and return gift bags for my Dds birthday parties.

1 person likes this.
  3. AkilaMani

Great idea YM!! thank you. I will check out the links from home (currently in office). I really like the idea of making bags out of fabric. Let me see what I can do. Thanks again.

1 person likes this.
  4. padmaja909

padmaja909 Platinum IL'ite

what i suggest is you keep blouse piece and other light items in newspaper bag and keep that bag on the plate and give plate with the bag to guests. in this way bag wont tear.

1 person likes this.
  5. AkilaMani

Hi Padmaja,

Nice idea, but then I will have to give then another bag to carry the coconut and plate right, then I will have to reach for a plastic bag. So was looking for a solution to make a bag that can hold a bit of weight also. Thanks for the suggestion. I will keep it in mind, just in case. Thanks dear.

6. AkilaMani

Hi YM and Padmaja,

Encouraged by you both I did it :)

At First I started making reusable fabric bags with used cloths, but later due to second thoughts on how it will be received, I made sturdy newspaper bags itself.

Here's a pic of my newspaper bag for navrathiri return gifts :)
    [​IMG]

Here is a sample of things I gave in the newspaper bags and it held well :)
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  7. chithirainilavu

chithirainilavu Gold IL'ite

AWESOME bags akila! Wished I would have come to your house for navrathri. Lovely return gifts:)

shara

1 person likes this.
  8. AkilaMani