1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Knitting Made Easier Lessons

Discussion in 'Knitting & Crochet' started by Meenamohan, Feb 4, 2010.

1. banusree

banusree New IL'ite

meena,
    thank you so much for the tut. i know to crochet and learnt knitting from my neighbour.but got confused and jus left knitting.i jus saw this thread and thank you so much i will start knitting again..the procedure is damn easy with your pics...

banusree

2. Meenamohan

Meenamohan Silver IL'ite

Dear Banushree,
    So nice of you to step in and write a few words of usefulness ... I am really encouraged with your words. All the best for developing your skills. :thumbsup

3. Meenamohan

Meenamohan Silver IL'ite

Knitting ...Children Hat for beginners

SKILL LEVEL: Beginner
    SIZE: One Size
    One size will stretch to fit up to a 19 in. (48.5 cm) head circumference.

Materials reqd

Organic Cotton YArn Ball - 2 differnt colours

needle size - 6 (4 mm)

Blunt Eye needle one pair.

GAUGE:
    20 sts = 4 in. (10 cm) in Garter stitch (knit every row).

BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR GAUGE. When you match the gauge in a pattern, your project will be the size specified in the pattern and the materials specified in the pattern will be sufficient. If it takes you fewer stitches and rows to make a 4 in. [10 cm] square, try using a smaller size hook or needles; if more stitches and rows, try a larger size hook or needles.
    NOTES:
    Do not cut yarn between stripes, carry color not in use along edge of work.
    HAT

With A, cast on 50 sts.
    Rows 1 and 2: With A, knit.
    Rows 3 and 4: With B, knit.
    Repeat Rows 1-4 until piece measures 17 1/2 in. (44.5 cm) from beginning.
    Bind off.
    FINISHING
    Sew cast on and bound off edges together. Seam one end of piece for top of Hat.
    Weave in ends.
    [​IMG]

4. ushad76

ushad76 New IL'ite

Re: Knitting made easier project 1. Garter stitch hat

hi meena,
    thanks for this guidens.sorry i can't understand(FINISHING: Sew sides together to form tube. Work in ends. Gather top of hat: Using tapestry needle and working along one row about 1/3 of the way from top of hat, thread project yarn in and out of stitches all the way around. Bring yarn ends to inside of hat and pull tight. Tie knot to secure.) this portion.can u explain it please.

5. Meenamohan

Meenamohan Silver IL'ite

Dear Usha,

I think this is for the first gather hat I put. If you see the hat top of the hat has a gather and is knot with wool. this is what is explained.

Assume the four corners as A,B,C,D (AB & CD Lengths)
    1. Sew the sides together : mean sew the two ends of the hat together Join AB with CD.
    2. Leaving few inches from top (almost 1/3 of the hat) chose a row and weave / just pass the thread in and out like running stitch. Then after that pull the ends together to form the gather and then tie it strongly. This way we can form the required gather. If you see the pic you can understand it now.
    All the best! I am very happy that some one is really interested in learning it from the tutorials. I actually stopped giving tuts as the response was not there. So thought its of no interest to others. Thanks usha for the response.

6. ushad76

ushad76 New IL'ite

hi meena,
    thanks, i got that point.plz, post some more and very simple so that beginners can do that,means phone cover.i had done some simple one.soon i will post it.can u explain how to end in knitting.

7. Meenamohan

Meenamohan Silver IL'ite

Hi Usha,

Nice of you Usha to clarify things. Actually only if you make a scarf or a hat you will know the stitches properly. even the tension mean the guages will set for your hands. This is most important even in lengths your hand tension shouldnot change else the sweater wont be as perfect as we see them in the pictures. Thats y these scarfs and hats.
    Anyways you can alternate the length as per your wish.

Did you mean the casting off or binding off? then check my previous posts. I am searching for the videos as you had asked for. You can expect it earlier. I am searching for a very good one thats y its taking time. Have asked few of my online knitting friends too. Will soon post it for you.

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/1050528-post22.html

FYI : I have done 4 scarfs for each stitch ... to learn it better. Even after that Grandma says my tension is not 100% accurate ... :hide: So for your goodness only I am saying these. Thanks for being patient.

8. ushad76

ushad76 New IL'ite

hi meena,
    thanks for this.in school days i had put scarf soon i'll post it, but i forgot how i made it.r there any types in knitting.

9. Meenamohan

Meenamohan Silver IL'ite

Yes, You have many many methods of knitting. What I am teaching is just the classic model of knitting. These days people use various machines for doing it. even i tried one but they are all consuming more of wool and according to me doesnt have the finish that we expect.

Even crochet consumes double the wool for the same hat. They are more useful for the heavy winter countries. I made one scarf with hood in knitting and crochet for my sis's son. the same and found the diff. But since she is in Turkey she preferred the crochet for winter and took the kniting for spring.

10. yams

yams Platinum IL'ite

hi meena thanks for sharing dear!!!!!!!:thumbsup