1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to make "Shandhu" / Sindoorat home

Discussion in 'Cosmetics & Makeups' started by Geetha Gupta, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Geetha Gupta

Geetha Gupta New IL'ite

Dear ladies,

Happy Diwali in Advance to all esteemed ladies here !

I would like to know if there is some here who can tell me how to prepare black and red shandhu at home, the way our grandparents used to make, about 50-60yrs before.

The sticker bindis, though glamourous does cause allergy - the gum used for sticking is the culprit. Is there a substitute for that gum ?

Regards,
    Geetha

2. resmij

resmij Silver IL'ite

re: How to make "Shandhu" / Sindoorat home

Hi,

Happy Diwali ..

no clue how this chanthu/ shandhu make at home.

if u are allergic to sticker bindies, use the shingar liquid- available in red/ black colors.

and ,I remember my grandma had this allergy thing for stickers,

she used to use 'kumkum ' powder as bindi.

she used to apply vix / Vaseline (basic) to her forehead (small round shape), and apply kumkum powder on top it. it used to give her bindies, a fuller look, and used to stay long also.

I know this powder thing not a practical thing these days.

so try shingar paste/ liquid.

regards
    resmij

1 person likes this.
  3. Yashikushi

Yashikushi Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Hi
    Check this link for making black santhu pottu
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/face-and-skin-care/149860-home-made-sandhu-pottu.html

Formulation and Evaluation of Herbal Sindoor Using Different Natural/Herbal Ingredients

Videos...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH0Ry9XKv1A

Sharing another link,from Google

How To Make Your Own Sindoor (kumkum, vermillion)

...I'm copy pasting little of the content n pictures from the above site,in precaution for the future use if the link ends up "invalid"....

Video and Updates of ingredients there in referral site....:cool2:

Things needed:

1. Turmeric
    2. Calcium Hydroxide (which is mineral lime). You can get it at Ace Hardware called Pickling Lime
    3. Water

how to make sindoor 1.jpg

how to make sindoor 2.jpg

how to make sindoor 3.jpg

Thanks.

4. Yashikushi

One more DIY link

How to Make Sindoor/ Kungumam /KumKum at Home

Copy pasting the content from the above site:

Ingredients:
    Slaked lime - 2tbls
    Turmeric powder - 2 tbls

1.This is slaked lime and in India it is sold as a wet paste, sealed in small packets.
    sindoor 4.jpg

2.mix the wet paste with little organic turmeric powder till you there is no moisture left and you have beautiful dark red sindoor/kumkum.
    sindoor 1.jpg

3.Spread the mixture on a plate and let it dry.
    sindoor 2.jpg

4.Once dry, break the lumps. You can even sieve the mixture too. The dried mixture will have an orange tinge. To use, just mix with little lime juice, it will turn red again.

sindoor 3.jpg

Thanks.

5. Yashikushi

While surfing Google, caught one interesting fact regarding this Sindoor

Sindur Tree of Nepal [​IMG]

copy pasting captivating lines/pics from the site...for full history click this link

Taste of Nepal:Sindur tree tree of Nepal

[​IMG] blogger !!!!

Botanical name: Bixa Orellana L.
    Family: Bixaceae
    English name: Annatto, Lipstick Tree
    Nepali Name: Sindure or Sindur

The picture of sindur tree were captured in Pitaunji area .....
    ....."The red powder surrounding the seed is used on the forehead of a woman, signifying her status as married, just as the vermillion powder (sindur in Nepali) does for other Hindu woman. Pulp of the seed is also used to color oil & butter, and to dye clothes. Women in villages used the pulp for cosmetic dyeing of their hands.".....

Pictorial illustration

DSC00680.JPG

DSC00679 (2).JPG

.....small evergreen tree with bright maroon-red heart shaped fruits, when ripe the fruit splits open revealing orange-red pulp and seeds...

DSC00676.JPG

.. freshly picked, stunningly beautiful bunches of pods from the sindur tree...

DSC00677.JPG

..The village boy breaks open the fruit exposing orange-red pulp and the seeds - roughly each capsules have more than 50 seeds.....

DSC00678.JPG

...The red-orange die is staining the fingers and hand.......

cntd................

6. Yashikushi

DSC00684.JPG
    ... close-up picture - of the spiny maroon-red fruit of sindur tree (Bixa Orellana)..

DSC00685.JPG

...The pigment that is derived from the seed will color anything that it touches. It is used as a natural coloring agent for food, used in fabric dye, body painting, in cosmetics, and many other industrial dye.....

DSC00681.JPG
    ....The fruits are harvested before they start to turn brown and capsules split open. The seeds are collected and dried in the open air, cleaned and processed....

sindoor american nepali.jpg

Thanks.

7. Geetha Gupta

Geetha Gupta New IL'ite

Dear Resmij and Yashikushi,

First of all, Thanks so much for all your efforts.

Due to some v.pressing personal reasons, i was unable to come and reply. It got postponed and postponed and then delayed. So please accept my belated Thanks.

yes, i will be using turmeric + slaked lime to prepare the powder. Neither Shingar liquid nor Bixa Orellana is available anywhere nearby.

i came here now as i have something to share on this topic, something which i came to know only today.

I was discussing about Gum arabic tree (Acacia nilotica, called Karuvel in Tamil) with my friend as i wanted to make tooth powder for my son. And i came know that one of the uses for the gum exuded from this tree was it use as liquid bindi in her hometown and village. Of course, now-a-days, it is not available. the use of sticker bindi is has overridden all traditional stuff everywhere.

Gum arabic is also used as paint binder when mixed with water colours and does not allow paint to drip when wet. The paint dries into a shiny film.

So i think this is a good idea. Maybe we can use this to keep the kumkum powder in place instead of vaseline, and thus avoid a petroleum product.

i will try it out and report as soon as i get hold of this gum.

Regards,
    Geetha