Who is your Role Model? - Contest entries

Discussion in 'Topic of the Month - Contest' started by Induslady, Mar 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Members,

This thread is started for you to post your entries for the 'Who is your Role Model?' contest owing to International Women's Day.

Get yourself thinking, power up your writing style and start posting your entries.

We are awaiting to read them.

Contest is open till - March 31st, 2006

2. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

Who Is My Role Model

INDIRA GANDHI:

She has been my role model.. her speech and her handling of all issues

Is very deeply etched in mind.. When u have a leader who inspires

You, even the disabled try to stand and salute.. Its not political ..

But the person as such, who could relate to Indians and carry off

their ideas to the world…I feel women all over are similar to her.

Come what may they thrive to bring and keep things together, against

any onslaught from the society.. the fear factor is faced by all

Woman in society, however educated or well lived still face the fear of

Rejection …to go ahead and do things which you feel is right for the

family or for the nation is something which requires a steel of will power,

to handle all issues….i could relate with it.

Her family though important, had to take a back seat a necessity to reach her goal for which instead of understanding from the family had a lot of misunderstanding , could only find fault …

There I see the woman of India who go through these situation day in

And day out.. though they are unable to prove, to stand by the woman its easy to find fault….

Her dress sense I can only say oomph and her hair style for one of the

World meet could only make me so envious and proud ..i hold in vision..

children are our future and to imbibe in them the

Value of our culture and to carry on is a great effort..

So many “Why’s” we would had answered to get them to see the culture

and not our view.. the books are the greatest companion.. As long as they

exist your world is never dark. she was a great reader and all her lonely

Life been spent with the books..though she knew that she is going to

Be the target she had to go ahead and face it…the period ..the time..

The phase.. was all hers to face..the victim she became but left behind

A history for all of us here..to know.. all of us leave behind a history..

But unfortunately her autobiography did not do justice to this woman

Or her womenhood…it showed her more as the puppet which left to her she

was not..

my Tributes to her ….regards sunkan

3. rvnachar

rvnachar Silver IL'ite

My Role Model Number One

‘Role Model’! This is a very ideal concept and whenever I hear people talking about their role models, I wonder how they zeroed in on one person, because for me, many people have been a source of inspiration at various stages. It is very difficult for me to point at any one person as my role model, because every person has a balance sheet of pluses and minuses. According to me, maybe only Mahatma Gandhi could score at least 90% in my scale of judgement of an ideal human being. But since now the question is about the woman who inspired me most, I shall rummage my brain and look for my role models.

Of course, every person first observes, admires and apes the parents and immediate relatives. For me, my maternal grandmother used to be the most attractive person around. Her life of struggle and grit, her strong principles, her devotion to her children and grandchildren, her concern for the people around, her extraordinary cooking skill (even today, I strictly adhere to her recipes for certain preparations and get appreciated for my cooking), her ever-readiness to help people and her soft nature were all very inspiring. She was there even to assist me when I gave birth to my daughter and when I remember the hot and delicious food, seasoned with her love, that she served me then, my mouth waters and my eyes well up. Being just a fourth standard pass and having lost her husband when she was just nearing forty, the hard way that she passed, to educate my uncle and my mother and get them settled in life is worth being retold every day. The successful career that my uncle built, the strong principles that he adopted till his death, the fame that he earned and the concern that he had for the society around him, were all due to the excellent way in which my grandmother brought him up.

So, I can say the first and most inspiring role model of my life was my grandmother.

Sudha Narasimhachar

4. sushdevi

sushdevi Senior IL'ite

My role Model

Role model to me is some one whom we can look up on or some one whom you want to be like ..In my case I cannot find a better person other than my late Mother ,who can 'fit the bill' so appropriately .I am not at all prejudiced when I say that my mom is my role model till date!Because she has been a pillar of strength during all kinds of adversities .My mother hails from perumbavoor ,a city near ernakulam,kerala .She was the second daughter of the three children my grand mother had . She was a very pretty woman and she also knew that she was always admired by the opposite sex .Besides Dad had married her firstly for her looks .So that was a situation where any woman would start thinking too high of her looks .But never once did my mother show off her beauty .The humble and unassuming way she carried herself inspite of her extreme good looks ,has often kept me wondering .Because i have not inherited half her looks .Still i feel so egotic about it however hard i have tried not to be so .
    My mother was a lady with certain set principles in life .That is ,she never believed in discarding her worldly duties to do her daily poojas or 'vrithas'. She believed in seeing that her familly was always well looked after from her side .She never spent much time on prayers .But her wishes were always granted by the Almighty .Because ,her undiluted faith was some thing even the 'yogis' would lack .One would obtain such piety only after constant prayers and dettachment .But my mother had all these qualities inherent in her .She never worried or got distressed when some adversities happened to her familly .Because she believed strongly in the dictum "All is well that ends well"and with her positive thinking , she made a diverse situation take on a happy turn of events .It is easily said than done .Because even now after so many years of trying to be like her ,I still get frazzled by a slight adversity that provoke my familly .Although i know in my heart of heart that positive thinking and undiluted faith can always reward me with good results.But my mother had no trouble viewing any situation with a very bright outlook .I have never seen her confused .Of course there were times when nothing seemed to go right for us or for her .Those were the times when she showed immense will power and control over her emotions and contained the situation .She was the strength behind my father on such occassions .Other wise ,I am sure ,that our familly would have collapsed !
    All these abilities comming from a very ordinary human being who had no much exposure to the happening s of the outer world or its lurking evils,is worth extolling . My mother had that mettle .Any problem looked infinitesimle to her .That was not because she didnot care .But because she could contain it and could tackle it in her own God given flair and faith.
    Her death was the biggest jolt on to us .Dad never recovered from it till his last .As for us ,her children ,we are still in the process of imbibing so many of her good qualities and iron will and positive thinking .Even the try at immitating her nature is giving us a lot of solace and happy state of being .She is my role Model to the hilt..
    regards
    sushdevi

Last edited: Mar 8, 2006
  5. Induslady

Hello Ladies - Rush your entries...

Hello Ladies,

Wanted to send a friendly reminder about the "Who is your Role Model?" contest. Rush in your entries as contest ends on March 31st 2006. You can send in more that one entry. An exciting gift is awaiting for the winning entry...Don't Miss it!

Note: Please read this to know more details about the Contest.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2006
  6. sushdevi

sushdevi Senior IL'ite

please give comments instead

Dear Induslady team,
    I am Sushdevi.Just a few minutes back i had a mail sent to me from your team asking why there was no response to the thread "Role Model"..it is very surprising to note that i am in receipt of such a mail even in spite of posting a very fine entry .if you mean to say that you have sent the same mail to all the members ,then that too is very surprising .Because that shows the lack of sincerity your esteemed team is reflecting on to those few who have genuinely taken interest in responding to the contest .
    So it would be better if you would exempt those few who have chosen to actually sent an entry .Instead it would be a welcome change to have a comment sent to our mail about the entry we have sent in for the contest ,be it good or bad ....indeed it would be refreshing!!! .
    regards
    sushdevi

Last edited: Mar 14, 2006
  7. ambika ananth

ambika ananth Bronze IL'ite

Thanks for thinking of a contest like this..

Dear Induslady

Since the last date for submissions is far away, we are trying to gather our best thoughts to squeeze into that word limit. We are as excited as you organizers and are also thankful that you thought of a wonderful contest like this..I am voicing the opinion of most ladies I guess..
    Will post my submission as early as possible
    thanks and regards
    ambika ananth

8. Induslady

Appreciate responses!

Hello,

First of all "Thank you" Ambika & Sushdevi for the prompt responses to the message calling for more contest entries.

Sushdevi,

We posted the above message only as a reminder, calling for more contest entries from those who are yet to post. We are in recognition of the wonderful entries that we have already received and no doubt yours is one among them. Thank you for sending yours in.

Regarding the email you received, we did not personally send you that email. It is an "automatic email notification" feature that you have subscribed for all the new messages getting posted in the thread you have already made a post.
    Note: If required you can remove the auto alert from User CP.

I also sent you 2 private messages - one to notify you when you made a 'male' role model entry and another appreciating message when you later changed it to a 'female' role model entry.

We try our best to appreciate, cheer and encourage ladies participation in this community to come out with their creativity. Also, our original intent of the posting calling for more entries was to bring focus to the contest, remind about the due date and to encourage more participation for a healthy competition. Otherwise, there is NO single person in the IndusLadies team with a different opinion.

Ambika,

Thank you for response on behalf of most ladies here. If everyone are excited about the contest and just holding on collecting thoughts to post by the due date, it is absolutely fine. We will await those wonderful entries.

Good Luck to everyone [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2006
  9. ambika ananth

A shining beacon ...

When a woman leads a meaningful life, bringing a balance in all areas of her life, it will make her strong, self-reliant and confident and will help her contribute to the family and society positively and qualitatively. According to age-old notion, a woman is mainly a ‘bearer and a nurturer’ but now, apart from ‘bearing and nurturing’ some women, through individual growth, personal emancipation and high achievements are defining themselves, molding themselves to become ‘ ‘role-models’ For eg-

“V.S. Rama Devi, former Governor of Karnataka, is a lady full of womanly grace and vitality, has charming and endearing qualities, though a social, political and public celebrity. She is a symbol of virtue and intelligence and her life is an example of dedication and diligence. She has vast erudition and boundless energy, and has claimed an identity of her own. She is assertive, positive and fearless, and she dispelled the notion, that a woman is helpless, hopeless and voiceless, and put the image of a woman in a realm of power and possibility. She carried out with penchant and poise, many high and eminent positions like, Governor of Karnataka, Chief Election Commissioner, Rajya Sabha’s Secretary General, apart from being a loving spouse and a caring mother.

she has authored books on topics of constitutional aspects, and also literary essays, novels, stories and plays, apart from keeping abreast on National and International political developments. She is spreading legal awareness among the masses, with her vast judicial experience, and she is working for the handicapped and weaker sections; Smt. Rama Devi is truly, an all-encompassing success symbol!”

A woman should strive to be a combination of tradition and modern age, like V. S. Rama Devi, who is a great phenomenon, a shining beacon of our age.!”

She truly is my role-model….

10. ambika ananth

2nd Entry - My Role Model

Some women overcome personal and professional hardships to become role models for others. What sets them apart is their strong perseverance, initiative, and a winning edge over others. Karuna Gopal, Director of The Confluence Consulting - a successful management consulting firm in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City><st1:place>Hyderabad</st1:place></st1:City> - belongs to this category of women. However, what sets her apart is the never-dying spirit in her.

As a bubbly young girl of sixteen, with a serious reaction to anesthesia she suffered a cardiac arrest, when she was operated for a very minor problem in her knee. Doctors felt that she would never be the same again , warned of dire consequences if she exerts herself physically… but Karuna defied all that.

She did her Post-Graduation in Management Studies, after graduating in Genetics. She is a Paul-Harris Fellow and a Licensed Practitioner of Neuro-Linguistic Programming (NLP), she also has a Degree Elementaire in French and a PG Diploma in Systems Management.

But Karuna had to resign her first job at NIIT as she was suspected of having ‘ulcerative colitis’, for which she was put on a high dose of medication. “I stopped medication and switched to meditation and it helped, everything in life is difficult, but with a little perseverance, persistence and discipline, one can reach one’s goal’- she says always.

Life gave her another big blow, when doctors diagnosed her son with ‘ autism’ and feeble linguistic and scholastic progress. . She took it up as a challenge and her son, now a twelve year old, is well-versed in bilingual comprehension and speech. Her motto is “Love your life endlessly to succeed and give more to get more, and success is bound to follow you.”

This fantastic woman is my sister and with great pride I say that she is my role-model…

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.