What do you expect on your Birthday?

Discussion in 'Community Chit-Chat' started by sofiz, May 29, 2010.

1. sofiz

sofiz Senior IL'ite

Recently, a friend of mine said that she just had one of the best birthdays in all her life. She explained that it was so good because EVERYONE around her made her feel very special. Wishes and lovely words poured in all day over the phone, by email and in person too. And there was a surprise party too. She mentioned that what she liked best is that almost everyone she knew remembered to call her up and greet her. This included her parents too.

Another friend who was listening to the conversation remarked,"Your parents called you? In my family, the son/daughter having his/her birthday calls up the parent"

At first I thought, that was old tradition when parents had too many kids, it might have been difficult for them to remember everybody's birthday. Probably then, the child would have to call up the parent to receive wishes and blessings.

But be it birthday or not, it has been part of Indian tradition that the younger one approach the elderly rather than wait for them to.. It's a matter of love and respect. This can apply to others who are not elder to you too, right?

The next time you feel sad or complain about someone who missed your birthday or any other occassion, how about giving them a call on your special day? It can still keep up the bond. Think about it. No matter who calls who, the important thing is that you share your happiness with your loved ones on your special day.

2. Chitra29

Chitra29 Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi
    I was hopping from one thread to another & happened to see this thread.
    Today is my B'day & happy to see the most apt thread for the day!!

I expect nothing but wishes from near & dear ones.

Every year my MOM used to forgot the day!.. & used to call either one day before or later.

Usually my DD used to call my MOM to remind her.... on my B'Day!!

What a SURPRISE!! Today morning she is the first one to call me before my DD & told me first time she made it on exact day!!!:rotfl:rotfl

I usually do the same thing as you have mentioned. If they forgot to call me I'll definitely call them & talk to them!!

Thanks for starting this thread on this day!!!

Regards.
    chitra

3. Priyaalagu

Priyaalagu Silver IL'ite

Dear Chitra!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seeing this just cannot pass on without wishing u a:birthday

4. sofiz

sofiz Senior IL'ite

Happy Birthday Chitra,
    Nice to know that you call your Mother whenever she forgets.
    She has taken efforts to remember and call you this time na.. So it's ok if she forgets next year or later. The important thing is to share the joy.
    I hope you have a wonderful year ahead

5. Saraswathipv

Saraswathipv IL Hall of Fame

Hi Sofiz,

The thought of our birthday makes us smiles isn't it? Its because of the wishes and blessing that we receive.

Well, not just because its a tradition or otherwise, I speak to my elders to get the blessings. Though I do not inform or remind all, I do see that I have spoken to my siblings, sis-in-laws and those who are very close to me :).

Bye

Chitra dear, Belated wishes to you.

6. Chitra29

Chitra29 Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi Priya, Sofiz, & Saraswathi
    Thank you.
    I do not want to divert from the topic..... any furthur!!...

Sharing of joy with ones' near & dear multiplies his/her joy by many fold ,,...

Thats why we celebrate our B'day with family & friends.

Regards.
    chitra

7. Pavithra55

Pavithra55 Gold IL'ite

hi chitra belated birthday wishes dear:birthday

8. sritas

sritas Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Very nice thought, Sofiz....... I too call my mom and get her blessing rather than wait for her to remember and call me.
    Belated Birthday greeting, Chitra..........had a gala day, yesterday???????
    Shanta

9. biancadee

biancadee New IL'ite

Usually, I don't expect something when it is my birthday, :) although it is really really gret to be able to receive or experience something, it is best to just not to expect to avoid disappointments. :)

10. crazywriter

crazywriter Platinum IL'ite

I would expect my loved ones to wish me on my birthday, along with presents :wink:.

it would also be great if they take the trouble to make my day special for me with a surprise that will be great.:)