1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

How many of you feel comfortable wearing western clothes in India??

Discussion in 'Clothing & Apparels' started by anika987, Jan 8, 2015.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I wear shorts,pencil skirts and sometimes even tanktops when I am in usa.never felt uncomfortable.felt i blend with the crowd.I thought over the years I have changed and became very mordern.

however,everytime I come to India,this tiem after 3 yrs I feel comfotable ONLY wearing salwar kameez or jeans with kurti.that too if i go out alone,i make sure to wear only salwar kameez .not that people are all that bad and staring but being in chennai and kind of felt uncomfortable and i dress conservative.if i go by car/auto rickshaw with people then i dress more mordern.

how many of u feel comfortable in western attire in India.probably it depends on the place we are?

1 person likes this.

2. Weasly

Weasly Gold IL'ite

Maybe in Delhi and Mumbai I can wear but not in Chennai !!

1 person likes this.
  3. Jessica.sharon

Jessica.sharon Silver IL'ite

i am ok to some extent wearing western clothes. I have worn medium length skirts when in the south or chennai or mostly jeans and tops. In Goa i wear mini skirts or knee length ones and tank tops and i am comfy in that. i have even worn bikini when i was goa and i guess the culture there isok with those attire.

1 person likes this.
  4. nancybadriya

nancybadriya New IL'ite

chennai you can wear western dress but not in all areas, functions means it is fine mostly salwar kameez and jeans is round neck t shirt is good to wear. when i was in mumbai and bangalore i didnt feel uncomfortable but in chennai i feels many times when i journey, temple i feels lot

1 person likes this.
  5. sangichristi

sangichristi Senior IL'ite

Hi I do agree Chennai is very conservative still and so is many areas in south.

I once wore sleeveless blouse with saree for a birthday party and i only attracted more stares that appreciations.

Jessi you seem to be quite bold in your dress sense. Of course goa culture is totaly different from any other culture in India.

Fashionable wear is totally different but it comes along with a tag that certain attire does not suit certain environments.

Regards

Sangi

1 person likes this.
  6. rkgurbani

rkgurbani IL Hall of Fame

In metro cities, its fine. As long as we dress well and not expose much skin, its ok. Indian society is opening up, but we should also not cross our limits.

1 person likes this.
  7. Jessica.sharon

Jessica.sharon Silver IL'ite

when u wear a bikini on the beach u cant cover up much and of course in goa its very casual. but like rkgurbani said there limits to which we can go and not beyond that

1 person likes this.
  8. mitali123

mitali123 Bronze IL'ite

you are the best judge of what ant when and how to wear. look around, and decide. There is really no thumb rule. There are really some comfortable clothes that cover well without grabbing attention but if western means skin show to you, try them at your risk... later on we can always blame poor men for staring at your shorts or cleavage... lol.. i sometimes pity them:)

1 person likes this.
  9. Sahana1

Sahana1 New IL'ite

Its depends on you.But there are limits.You can wear jeans and a few things.But you can`t wear all the western dresses.You can wear them when you go to some fasionable parties,shops,malls. If you feel tired with churidhar you can sometimes wear western dresses.It is you who is going to wear so you can make your own choice till a limit
    Regards,
    Sahana

2 people like this.
  10. desichica

desichica Silver IL'ite

everyone has different comfort level. Last time i went to india, it was for my wedding. I stayed at in-laws less than 1 week. At my parents home, i wore mostly jeans. at in-laws a week before or after my wedding, I wore salwar kameez (at dh's uncles and aunts and cousins) . Next time i am going to india for BIL's wedding. I will be there for less than 3 weeks and my home is "the wedding home" so salwaar kameez seems more appropriate. I am taking a jeans and couple tops for that trip. I am not sure for my future trips. I may pack my bag differently since i wont have wedding at my home.

2 people like this.