1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

Wearing low hip saree for shorter girls/women

Discussion in 'Clothing & Apparels' started by Sudha86, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Sudha86

Sudha86 New IL'ite

Hi friends. :hiya This is my first thread in this forum. Actually i love sarees but wear it only during occasions or just one off as i feel more comfortable in churidhar for work. And when i wear sarees, i wear it a pretty CLOSED type (like our old school teachers use to wear). Off late i am thinking of wearing it a normal way or probably a little low hip also. But i have a concern over here. I am a little short of about 5' 3-5" or so, and am pretty slim too with a hip size of 26(that's for jeans anyhow).

Having said that, i am confused that if a low hip would suit me since i am short. Also if i drape the saree for extra rounds, will it look a tad fat or odd getting gathered near my hip(especially while wearing it low)? Also since i am short how do i wear it low in my hip? Bit confused. :bonk
    Saree experts please suggest me :spin

2. aminroop

aminroop IL Hall of Fame

hi sudha,

since u r slim, low hip will suit you. i am pretty slim too. and i always wear a saree like that. so dont worry.

but why do u hav to take an extra round , i dont get it?? what exactly do u mean. instead u can take extra pleats. that way it wont look gathered around ur hip.

3. krithivenugopal

krithivenugopal Bronze IL'ite

Also suggest for girls who are slightly fat and having tummy(its for me :))

4. Sudha86

Sudha86 New IL'ite

Hi Amin,

Can you say roughly how many pleats we can keep so that it do not look odd. Also i am still not sure about managing the height of the saree (not length), while wearing it low. If you do not mind, can you kindly elaborate fully on the positioning and the folds so that i can try it out low.
    Till date i have never managed to drape a saree completely on my own:)shhh:) so will be really helpful if you can assist me. It will help me understand and do it myself. :thumbsup

Thanks
    Sudha

5. aminroop

aminroop IL Hall of Fame

it depends on person to person. as to how small or large a pleat u take etc. the breadth of the saree is made to suit the average indian woman. and ur height falls in the average category. so i don think it shud b a problem. or if u hav a problem u cud wear high heels too. abt draping and stuff im no expert myself...or a regular saree user myself. and i think what works for me need not work for u. its basically trial and error. do that and u ll end up with wat works best for u.

belive me, saree draping is no rocket science that its very difficult to learn. there are many websites which wud help u. google it.

6. Sudha86

Sudha86 New IL'ite

Amin.. thanks for your reply. I think its better for me to try it out a couple of times as u said.:) Anyhow that cleared my worries on if it would suit me well. Thanks for that.

7. badi

badi New IL'ite

Sudha you will look prettier in saree specially low hip saree. You buy low rise petticoat which are about 32" long, wear it and wrap saree as usual, you may have to tuck inside petticoat saree about 10-12 inches and it will be alright.