1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to reuse your old pattu sarees ?? ... Some new tips.

Discussion in 'Clothing & Apparels' started by sadhu72, Jan 8, 2011.

1. sadhu72

sadhu72 Gold IL'ite

Hi all ,

our beautiful pattu [ silk ] sarees are not only expensive , but also they have got sentimental values [ like our wedding sarees ] due to which we may not like to throw them away easily. but we want to keep them with us forever. then what can be done with these old model sarees ??
    how can we give a fresh look & a total facelift ??? and reuse it in a different way ??

here are some ideas from my side :

1. first DYE with a new possible latest or your favourite color. Do the Darning if necessary.

2. secondly cut the rich pallu and make it a CHOLI & the rest body as GHAGRA for your teen ages or

3. you can stich a golden blouse with that MUNDHI & stitch the remaining as salwars either for you or for your loving DD s according to the remaining size avl.

4. salwars can be stitched for yourself also with a fashionable neck & design like anarkali with the pallu & borders & even you can attach net sleeves also to that for a trendy look.

5. why to leave our baby boys , lets consider them also ..
    we can stitch a beautuful kurtas for them with that & stitch the pyjama with a new bought creme color cloth. & dont forget to wear them your pearl necklaces or raani haar. if your talented tailors can make turbans also then ........... why to ask ?? start rocking..

6. give it a facelift by doing the latest embroidery or stone work & wear & walk with pride.

7. some ethnic kushion covers also can be made for your drawing rooms beauty.

8. use it as a BACKDROP for your birthday parties & functions.

9. make simple pleats as usual & pin it , & simply put this on your curtain rods on the top of the normal one . this gives a GRAND LOOK for the parties & occasions.

10. make a strip of a neck length & put in a catchy & big , dominant pendant & wear it as a necklace. be the trend setter & not the followers.

11. finally , if nothing is possible , the solution would be EXCHANGE , but for me ... this is the last choice or resort.

friends , what all your innovative ideas ???
    plz share here.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011

2. shakambari

shakambari Platinum IL'ite

Hi Sadhu,

So nice to see you here.

Another use....

During Navrathris -Pattu saris look great if spread on GOLU PADIs.

3. swathi14

swathi14 IL Hall of Fame

Sadhana

thanks for sharing so many tips on the use of old pattu sari. I am in the process of converting my old silk sari to frocks for my DD and my sister's daughter. they look grand with the pattu frock.

andal

4. sadhu72

sadhu72 Gold IL'ite

dear shaka ,

thanks . iam also feeling good to reunite with you all again.

yes , it gives grand , ethnic & festive look.

good idea :thumbsup :idea

5. sadhu72

sadhu72 Gold IL'ite

dear swathi ,

frocks [ for pongal ??? :thumbsup] for both of your DD s???
    sounds good .

alternatively masakali / anarkali types of salwars or all time fav ghagra choli for each one separately will also do well.

but , either the way its great idea only.

plz upload the pictures also once done.

thanks for your nice share here.

6. SumitraRavibabu

SumitraRavibabu Senior IL'ite

Innovative ideas. We can also make it as kurta for us with pallu as the center long piece and for the down portion breadth wise with leggings for bottom.:thumbsup Rockup girls.

Regards,
    Sumi.

7. sadhu72

sadhu72 Gold IL'ite

hi sumitra ,

you are a fashion designer dear ... i can imagine your pattern . it looks gorgeous .. plz add sleeves also na ....with that.

aha , iam getting no of good ideas for my MUHURTH SILK SAREE ladies . thanks for that.

i did a rough arch decorate with a saree & am uploading here....we can do no of decorate styles with it like , on both ends of the curtain rod , hang pleated 2 sarees separately & pin them up in the center like a butterfly wings. that will also look nice.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  8. shantisubra

shantisubra Gold IL'ite

Hi

The ideas are nice. But in my opinion, I dont like to cut the wedding sarees and make them into multiple pcs which will inturn tear off and the sentiments are lost already. Secondly, the salwar khameez stitched with wedding saree with zari etc. does not look good at all. Instead it can remain as a saree only which can be worn by anybody, anytime.......

My suggestion would be cut and remove the zari border and pallu, buy some banaras type laces and attach at the top and bottom of the saree. By cutting the pallu the length has come down where, we can attach some contrast cloth matching to the lace attached and do embroidery or stitch some motifs.

Sorry........ I am not for making a wedding saree into bits and pieces. If you have any other printed sarees without zari make it as kurti with a broad or chinese neck and attach a simple zari or lace in the neckline and sleeves..... the sleeves have to be 3/4th. This you can also make cushion covers/curtains/comforter covers etc.

Best Rgds
    shanti

9. sadhu72

sadhu72 Gold IL'ite

shanthi ,

i can understand .

nice views & ideas . thanks for that.
    they can be applied not necessarily on the wedding silks but can be on other sarees also. its all depends on ones choice & taste.

one more idea with the removed borders & pallu attached to a newly bought plain silk cotton material either matching or contrast would also look well. what you all say. ???

again if you dont want to cut it in to pieces , plz see the above photo , or else, try this.
    we can wrap it around the pooja table [ like ganesh chathurthi fesitival or varalakshmi pooja ] & pin it up for an enhanced look.

so anymore ideas in pipeline ladies ?? i've got onemore idea :thumbsup.... so keep reading ...:)

10. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sadhu

Glad to see you here and nice tips. How are you? Earlier I also used to get the sarees printed, had made pavadai blouse for my children with the pattu saree.