1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Don't Waste Old News Papers

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by geethabm, Mar 4, 2010.

1. pratima56

pratima56 New IL'ite

i keep news paper under my gas stove----spillage/overflow taken care of.easy to clean the platform after cooking-

2. Ramyabhuvana

Ramyabhuvana New IL'ite

Good one which i usually follow all the tips but i wont keep in fridge.:hiya

let me try. we can also use papers while rolling the chapathis or puri under the rolling wood or granite where flour used for rolling the chapathis will not be spilled on the floor.

bhuvana.:cheers

3. vimalalucky

vimalalucky New IL'ite

In Doha we give the papers to laundary they use to keep inside the papers after pressing them.

4. arch

arch Senior IL'ite

5. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

Too good tips.
    We dont waste them but once in a while, paperman will come and pick them up for Kg at 6 or 7/-.

6. chandrumalar

chandrumalar New IL'ite

I follow many tips. thanx for sharing.

7. fiona

fiona Bronze IL'ite

Nice ideas/tips. I too follow most of them but am now concerned abt using them in fridge.. Thanks for sharing them here.

8. Sandypaul

Sandypaul New IL'ite

first of all the tips for using newspapers are great.
    two suggestions -
    1. newspapers are made by cutting down trees. let us try to get all news from the internet or tv?
    2. for those who cannot avoid buying newspapers, get small kids to copy the headlines... or identify the simple sight words from the headlines.. this is a new way of teaching them to identify alphabets... kids can get bored with the same book adn pencil all the time!!!

9. ushadevi

ushadevi New IL'ite

His I'm Usha from Malaysia.

I read with interest in the usage of old newspapers. Very interesting ideas. I though do not agree in using old newspaper in the fridge for storing vegetables. The printing ink used is chemical based and might seep into vegetables. The best is to use kitchen tissue rolls. Wrap your greens in them and place into a plastic bag and it can be stored in the fridge for a week. If you want to paint your house, you can line the floor with the old newspapers to avoid the paint staining the floor.

If you are going to the wet market, you can use the old newspaper to line your car boot and the your floor mats with old newspapers to avoid drippings of fish, poultry and meat. After you have reached home. just throw off the papers. Odour in your car is minimised.

That's about all for now.

10. hamsadhvani

hamsadhvani Junior IL'ite

Hi all
    I dont use news papers in anything to do with food like keeping greens or use while rolling chappathis.The ink will react with food and it is very dangerous to health.
    I use papers to clean windows. It is really doing wonders when you clean the windows.
    I always keep one paper under the shoe stand to wipe my wet foot after entering house in rainy days. This prevents your house getting dirtier because of the wet or mud.
    I spread news papers on the floor when people come to do repairs like electricians or plumbers or the carpenters. Once they done remove all the papers and throw it. then only moping is enough because no grece or dirt on the floor.
    Mostly i gave the news papers to the paper collectors or to the recycle things collectors.
    As i am an OCD i keep the traveling bags on the news paper after holidays and then i clear the clothes and wipe the bags with dettol to prevent germs. Then i throw the papers.
    Any way now a days most of the things are recycled i dont think i am wasting papers.
    I am also an environmental friendly person.