Eclipse of Wisdom by Desire - Bhagavad Gita 3.38-3.40

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

How desire clouds man's understanding is depicted next:

Dhumaenavriyathae vahnir yatha darshO malaena cha
    YathOlbaenavrthO garbhasthathaa thenaedamaavrtham 3.38

As fire is enveloped by smoke, as a mirror by dust, as an embryo by the womb, so this (wisdom) is enveloped by that (desire).

The three examples are enumerated by the Lord poetically.
    The three examples indicate the three types of coverings that shroud "knowledge", depending upon the type of desires:
    Peaceful (satvic) - desire dominated by satva guna is like fire being choked with smoke. A slight breeze is enough to remove the smoke and bring out the flame in all its glory.
    Discrimination likewise drives out the thin cloud of satvic desire and reveals Atman as It is.
    Restless (rajasic) - desire gushes out from a restless and selfish urge to acquire, possess and enjoy the sense-objects. This desire demands strenuous attempts for its removal.
    Low (tamasic) - To remove the foetus in the womb, not only is effort required, but efflux of time as well. Time and self-preparations are necessary to eliminate the deep-rooted tamasic desire.

Desire is further analysed:

Aavrtham jnaanamaethaena jnaaninO nithyavairiNaa
    KamarupaeNa kauntheya dushpureNaanalena cha 3.39

Enveloped, Oh Son of Kunti, is "wisdom" by this constant enemy of the wise in the form of "desire", which is difficult to be appeased like fire.

We all have the knowledge but still our wisdom often gets shrouded by the thick fumes of our own passions! The more we gratify our desires, the more they multiply.

In order to help Arjuna realise the grave truth of this statement, the Lord tells us which are the seats of "desire" that, by enveloping wisdom, forms the enemy of the whole world.

IndriyaaNi manOuddhirasyadhishtanumuchyathae
    AethairvimOhayathvaesha jnaanamaavrthya daehinam 3.40

The senses, the mind and the intellect are said to be its seat; through these, it eludes the embodied by veiling his wisdom.

When a person wants to destroy an enemy, he must first of all know what his stronghold is and from which place, he is attacking him. The stronghold of desire is the senses, mind and intellect. So, the first step of the seeker is to bring the senses under his control, by driving out desire from his mind. Then the mind becomes pure and the discriminative intellect clear.

Love,
    Chithra.

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

In the words of Aquinas, the erudite Italian Catholic Priest of the 13th Century, it is legitimate for us to pray for anything which it is legitimate for us to desire. There are some things that no one has the right to desire, such as the fruits of crime or wrong doing. Other things may be legitimately desired by people on one level of spiritual development but the same would be very wrong to desire for those on a higher level of spiritual development. The ultimate aim of all spiritual development is to reach a point of no desire. St. Francois de Sales had reached that point where he could say, “I have hardly any desires, but if I were to be born again, I should have none at all. We should ask nothing and refuse nothing, but leave ourselves in the arms of divine Providence without wasting time in any desire, except to will what God wills of us”

Let us look at ‘desirelessness’ in another perspective. When scientists launch a satellite, they manoeuvre its movement until it is put in a ‘geo synchronised’ orbit. That is to say, it is put in a spot high over the planet in such a way that its movement is totally synchronised with the planet’s revolution on its own axis. Thus it looks motionless when observed from the earth. Similarly, we reach a state of ‘desirelessness’ when we are able to live in total synchrony with the Will of God. But the question will arise in our minds about how to know the Will of God in relation to our living. This is beautifully summed up by the French Priest Fenelon:
    “Lord, I know not what ask of thee. Thou only knowest what I need. Thou lovest me better than I know how to love myself. Father, give to thy child that which he himself knows not how to ask. Smite or heal, depress me or raise me up: I adore all thy purposes without knowing them. I am silent; I offer myself in a sacrifice; I yield myself to Thee; I would have no other desire than to accomplish Thy Will”

There are any number of mythological stories to point out to us how desire at a personal level can be destructive. If non fulfilment of desire kills us in one way, fulfilment destroys us in another way. Desire begets more desires. Sage Vyasa narrates in his epic, Mahabharat, how starting with Pururava, the stage is set for the greatest dénouement of all, The Kurukshetra Battle, through a series of incidents of fulfilment of human desire leading to a counter effect that nullifies the fulfilment of the earlier desire. He lets such fascinating characters like Pururava, Nahusha, Yayathi, Samvarana and Santhanu down to the Kauravas and the Pandavas to parade before us to highlight the malefic effects of nursing personal desires. Even Lord Krishna’s actions in helping the Pandavas earn Him the curse of Gandhari which He humbly accepts and His clan is decimated as that of Gandhari.
    It is quite significant that Lord Krishna shows by personal example how personal desires could lead to destruction.

Krsna appears to have had two major desires: the bringing together of various clans such as the Vrsnis, Andhakas, Bhojas, Yadavas, Kukutas, etc. to form a single community at Dvaraka, safe from the depredations of the imperialistic ambitions of Magadha and Hastinapura. This was granted him. As its counterpoint, he witnessed his kith and kin destroy one another in a drunken orgy of senseless violence, with Krsna himself joining in that destructive spree.

His second desire, subsuming the first one, was the establishment of an empire based upon dharma, righteousness, doing away with warring petty kingdoms and bringing them all under a single sovereign of impeccable rectitude. This, too, was granted him. But what subjects were left for Dharmaraja Yudhishthira to rule over? A filed of ashes filled with millions of mourning widows! The Stri Parva is a merciless commentary on the fruit of Krishna's desire and has found expression in the curse of unsurpassed poignancy voiced by Gandhari as she stands in Kurukshetra mourning the death of her sons.
    The disastrous effect of Desire is embodied in this Sloka from Adi Parva roughly translated into English as under:
    Desire never ends,
    Desire grows with feeding,
    Like sacrificial flames
    Lapping up ghee.
    Become the sole lord of
    The world's paddy fields, wheat-fields,
    Precious stones, beasts, women...
    Still not enough.
    Discard desire.
    This disease kills. The wicked
    Cannot give it up, old age
    Cannot lessen it. True happiness
    Lies in controlling it. (Adi parva, 85.12-14)

3. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Dear Mrs C

That was a clear analysis of Desire and how it clouds the senses, mind and intellect. I enjoyed reading it on this auspicious day of Vaikunta Ekadasi.

SriKrishna, who is the originator of dance and music, began to dance on the 101 hoods of the serpant Kaliya.The wives of the serpant, seeing the great serpant sinking under the strokes of his Heels, approached him with folded hands for the release of their guilty husband. Thus they say,"Your punishment destroys all the sins of the wicked. This serpant is born of a species which is Tamasic in nature. It is full of wrath and the spirit of revenge. It has gained the dust of your feet which is so difficult to attain by others. Even a desire to gain a particle of dust from your feet would bring the soul caught in the births and deaths not only prosperity, which is insignificant, but even moksha or release of bondage."

Srikrishna ordered the serpant to leave yamuna river with the assurance that he will not be bothered by Garuda as the serpant's body was marked by His footprints.

So the satvic desire of wanting the Lord's closeness is justified, correct?

4. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya sir,

That was a thorough explanation quoting from Historic, scientific and mythological examples. The sloka translation is superb.

I am reminded of a story titled "Necklace" by Guy De Maupassant. Matilde is poor and spoiled, unable to face her poverty. She daydreams about a fancy home, with all expensie things and rich foods. When the husband manages to get invited to his boss's party, Matilde becomes especially difficult. She wishes for an expensie dress and jewelry to go with it. The husband buys her a dress from savings he put away for rainy days and she borrows a necklace from a friend. She has a wonderful time. On reaching home, she finds that the necklace is missing. To make it up, the couple pool all their money and take loans to buy an identical diamond necklace to replace. They are forced to live a very modest life to make payments to all the loans. The ten hard years had taken a toll on Matilde. Then she meets the friend who lent her the necklace. The friend is shocked at seeing Matilde as an old, unattractive woman. When Matilde tells her that she is the reason that her life had changed so much, the friend reveals that her original necklace was only a costume jewelry worth much less. Matilde's desires to own expensive things had pushed her into a deep hole of hard life!
    Sir,I hope you don't mind this long post!

5. vidhi

vidhi Senior IL'ite

Dear Chith

You have very well explained how the knowledge is hidden by the desires based one’s satvic, rajasic and tamasic nature. You say more we gratify our desires, the more they multiply. And that is the main reason that makes it very difficult to escape from it. Most often in our lives we fail to see the reason at times when needed because of this desire.

Love
    Vidhi

6. vidhi

vidhi Senior IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya Sir

Personal desires are so destructive that it leaves no place for growth. Instead it destroys the person himself and the society around him. The sloka mentioned in Adi parva indeed explains the true nature of the desire. Even though we know that happiness lies in controlling it we fail in achieving it. The more we fufill the desire more the urge to get more. Here I remember a story from one of your previous posts of a man who had a chance of owning the land by walking up and down the same distance. Instead of covering a short distance and owning the land he kept on walking and finally faced death due to fatigue. The more we get more we want.

With best regards
    Vidhi

7. Cheeniya

Dear Usha
    I am amazed by your capability to embellish your FBs with apt stories and quotes. This is the third time today that I am being a witness to it!

The story 'Necklace' is a very apt one indeed in the present context. It proves beyond doubt how our materialistic ambitions can lead us to destruction. It is sheer irony that such a person had to toil all her life to repay a non-existent debt. That is what happens when a person's wisdom is clouded by desire!
    Sri

8. Cheeniya

Dear Vidhi
    Mahabharat is a great epic that is a storehouse of morals. Every character in this epic has a message to deliver. Even Krishna's own life has something to teach us. Even the Pandavas were not without fault and they too had to pay a price for their follies.

It is interesting to read Plato's take on a man consumed by desires. Plato describes him as the democratic man being a person who feels he is entitled to indulge whichever desire takes hold of him at a particular moment, now capriciously embracing asceticism, the other moment wallowing in pleasures of the senses, but never satisfied with what is! Such a man is passion- driven, not ruled by his will, and is never at rest. Plato also compares the desires to wild beasts for the more they are satisfied, the more importunate they grow, driving the man to ever more strenuous attempts to achieve an ever-diminishing satisfaction. Finally, one desire tends to overcome others and wholly possess the person who becomes obsessed with it, be it ambition, drugs, wealth, sexual pleasure, power. Such a person loses control of his self and is described by Plato as the tyrannical soul, in whom one aspect tyrannizes over the rest of his self.
    Sri

9. Chitvish

Dear Usha,
    Thanks for coming here. In His true scriptural style, Krishna distinguishes between the different textures in the veils that come to cover the soul when the individual is entertaining different types of desires.In short, desire is that which hides the Divine in us!!
    Love,
    Chithra.

10. Chitvish

Dear Vidhi,
    We get carried away, very often, by the passions of the hour and are made to act foolishly.
    Sri Ramakrishna says:
    As a patch of cloud hides the blazing sun, maya in the form of desires hides Iswara. When the cloud disappears, the sun becomes visible. When desire disappears, Iswara becomes visible.
    Love,
    Chithra.