Exploring the root of sinning – Bhagavad Gita Verse 3.36

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Every religion and moral code in the world, irrespective of the era, age or race, talks of sins and advises one to avoid them and to desist from committing them!
    But, except in Vedanta we do not find anywhere else, a direct explanation of what exactly sin is!
    What exactly constitutes a sin?
    Bible enumerates certain acts and attitudes as sins.
    The Qurans and Pauranic literature also enumerate quite a few!!
    The Upanishads say this very clearly. They say that any action is always neutral, neither a merit nor a sin.
    A soldier fights for his country and kills enemies. But he is not a murderer!
    A surgeon performs an operation and if the patient dies, we cannot accuse him of man-slaughter.
    When the intention is noble, the act is also noble, whatever it be.
    But after having done an action, if the memory of the action makes us regret, that self-insulting act of compromise with our own knowledge is called a sin.

With a view to eliciting a concise and clear statement of what was but desultorily and vaguely expressed as sin, Arjuna asks:

Arjuna Uvacha:
    Atha kena prayukthO(a)yam papam charathi poorusha:
    Anichchannapi vaarshNeya balaadiva niyOjitha: 3.36

Arjuna said:
    But, by what impulse does man commit sin, though against his wishes, Oh ! Varsneya, constrained, as it were, by force?

This is an eternal question, asked by man from time immemorial. Very often we have felt the strong urge to compromise with what we know to be right. In spite of this, we are often driven to acts which we know insult our own knowledge and social status!
    Now, Arjuna asks what is this terrible "negative force", which makes man compromise with his wisdom to commit sin!
    What dark power compels us to do an act "even if we do not want to do it (Anichchannapi) , "as though driven by a force?"( balaadiva niyOjitha).

This is a universal question and everybody goes through this doubt atleast once during the lifetime. Every religion objectifies it and gives it a name and a very elaborately abominable form.

In Vedanta alone, we find pointers to the source of all our unhealthy compromises, as something subjectively in our own personality composition. The Lord explains it in the next verse.

Love,
    Chithra.

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The question of sinning has been a vexatious subject right from the day when Adam and Eve succumbed to the fatal temptation of the Forbidden Fruit! What constitutes a sin has always remained elusive. More interestingly, our perception of sinning has never remained constant. What was considered a sin a thousand years back is now passed off as an acceptable aberration. Our occasional lapses into the unacceptable actions are cleverly argued off with statements like ‘There is nothing good or bad; only thinking makes it so!’ In certain elite societies, people talk of ‘the straight and undeviating line of conduct laid down for our pursuit’ in evaluating their actions. Each religion prescribes a set of codes of conduct for its followers to pursue. They may not vary largely from religion to religion. The Ten Commandments that Moses received from God at Mount Sinai are essentially the same as what is prescribed in the Vedas of the Hindus.

Apart from what is prescribed in our religious texts as ‘good’ which is to be pursued and ‘bad’ which is to be avoided, the role of our own conscience in leading our actions is no less important. As we grow out of childhood, we start evaluating, unconsciously at first and then consciously, our actions as good and bad. Then comes a sense of obligation conditioned by the thinking of the society of which we are a part. The sense of obligation points out to us that this, being good, ought to be done or that, being bad, ought not to be done. Such evaluations may not be equally valid if they are purely subjective. Very often we discover that the verdict of the higher court is at variance with the decisions reached so easily in the lower court. In the light of what we know about ourselves, our fellow beings and world at large, we find that what at first seemed good may, in the long run or in the larger context, be bad and vice versa.

When we find a person whose judgment of value claim is very sound, we tend to accept him as a man of penetrating moral insight. We accept him as a person who may know enough to be able to say what is good in the longest run and the largest context. When we talk of a man with a strong moral character, we mean that he is ready to act upon the dictates or findings of his insight, even when such insights are unpleasantly or even excruciatingly at variance with his initial evaluation. But in actual practice, it is not difficult to see that moral insight is not a personal matter. It is in fact conditioned by the past findings of what is good in the longer run or in the wider context. In most circumstances, most of the members of any given society allow themselves to be guided by the generally accepted codes of morals but a few may reject them either in its entirety or in part. When we talk of sin, we mainly refer to the ways of life of these few.
    From the present Verse of Gita, we see that a question is being raised by Arjuna about what causes a man to depart from the code of morals laid down by his society. The enormity of this question can be seen from the growing capacity of man to deviate from the accepted codes of moral conduct with impunity.

While we await the Lord’s answer, I commend your attention to what is said in The Dhammapada, a collection of 423 verses containing the Buddha's essential teachings on some 305 occasions for the benefit of a wide range of human beings:
    “It is the mind which gives to things their quality, their foundation and their being. Whoever speaks or acts with impure mind, sorrow follows him, as the wheel follows the steps of the ox that draws the cart.”
    The nature of a man’s being determines the nature of his actions; and the nature of his being comes to manifestation first of all in the mind. A man’s being is his potential energy directed towards or away from God and it is by this potential energy that he will be judged as good or evil. As long as it remains God-centric, his capacity to sin comes to nought.

3. corallux

corallux Bronze IL'ite

My Dear Gita Gurus,

The very meaning of the word "Sin" undergoes a lot of changes throughout the ages.

In ancient days, a householder was honoured by the Gods as he offered his wife to his guest. That was held as the benchmark of Athithi Satkar. Ask a person like me, I would disagree.

Before Lord William Bentinck, Sir Ishwarchadra Vidyasagar came on the scene, it was considered ok for a widow to be a Sati. I would call Sati nothing but murder.

Why go further, the very story of Adam & Eve is now being questioned. Ok Eve asked Adam to taste the Apple. Why did not Adam stand up for himself & refuse? Bible being written with a patriarchal bias would naturally not have answers for this question.

Chithraji, at times, life gets us on cross roads. Mind & heart refuse to come to a decision regarding problems in life. The Lord is right when he says that actions done without any regret is 'Punya' whereas actions that lead to regret is 'Paap'.

Dear Cheeniyaji, the very concept of Sin perishes when the ownership of that action perishes.Life is like a knife. A knife can be used to cut vegetables for a yummy meal or can be used to cut some one's throat.

Actions done with good intentions always please the Lord said Baba. How true!

Regards,

Corallux

4. mkthpavi

mkthpavi Senior IL'ite

Dear C&C

Beautiful write-ups.

Clear distinction between what is considered 'good' and what is considered 'bad', has always been a dilemma for human society. Our ancestors set forth certain rules and mandated that those who did not follow them would go to hell / suffer, per the 'level and category' of sin. But with evolution of society, scientific and technological progress and spread of knowledge and education, many of us question these rules and in many occasions 'violate' them as well.

For instance, women were forbidden from learning and earning. Now, we see so many women who are educated and who are supporting the family financially. Women had certain dress code. I am not sure whether such a code is strictly followed, except may be in Saudi / some Muslim countries (apologies if I am wrong here).

I do not have to elaborate how 'advanced' our movies, heroes and heroines have become when it comes to depicting things on the screen. Is this acceptable or should this be considered a sin? If latter, what should happen to the movie industry?

Every community had its rules, for example, performing daily Sandhyavandhanam, keeping fast on Ekadasi etc but now-a-days not sure how many follow it.

I recently watched a Hindi movie called 'Dostana'. It showed 2 guys pretending as a gay couple in order to rent a house where another pretty girl lived. The mother of one of the guys accepted the other one as 'bahu' (daughter-in-law)...hahahaha.
    The movie was funny to watch...but pondering on it, it occured to me that what if same gender marriages became a norm in the coming years. How many parents are mentally conditioned to accept this if their child proposes one such marriage? Is this a sin / should this be passed off as norm? Even if intentions are noble - say the 2 guys / girls involved are good in nature, their parents are good in nature, everyone is happy - would it still be an acceptable position? I do not know.

If one has true devotion to God and if the mind is clear, then at every stage of diilemma, God will show the way. Until then, its perhaps not a practicality to lay down rules and regulations in this ever-changing society.

Thanks and love
    Your IL disciple
    Pavithra

5. vidhi

vidhi Senior IL'ite

Re: Exploring the root of sinning – Bhagavad Gita Verse 3.36

Dear Chith

A great post with an apt title chith. A discussion which is needed much today. Arjuna had this doubt only at the time of war but we face it on a day to day basis for something or the other

I liked the following
    When the intention is noble, the act is also noble, whatever it be.
    But after having done an action, if the memory of the action makes us regret, that self-insulting act of compromise with our own knowledge is called a sin.

We all like to know what exactly sin is. The dilemma of what we are doing is right or wrong is very often faced by us. But there are also situation at the time of the act we feel that it is right but after some time we feel it is not right? Why did it happen?

Love
    Vidhi

6. vidhi

vidhi Senior IL'ite

Re: Exploring the root of sinning – Bhagavad Gita Verse 3.36

Dear Cheeniya Sir

As you said what is considered as sin a thousand years back is not a sin today. Looking at today’s society there are so many things which are considered as sin but for the people who is involved in the act does not feel guilty at all. This is where they start to preach ‘There is nothing good or bad; only thinking makes it so. The saddest part is that I feel there are certain things which the people follow blindly without thinking whether it is good or bad.

Buddha’s teaching of what ever act we do with an impure mind will not only be fruitful but also will backfire gives an idea about sin. Still eagerly wait for the next post to know what does Krishna got to say about it.

With best regards
    Vidhi

7. Chitvish

Dear Lux,
    Every man has a clear conception of the good and the meritorious. We understand intellectually what is right, but when it comes to action we are TEMPTEd to do very often what is wrong and go ahead!!
    This paradoxical confusion occurs between one's ideologoies & one's own actions. This becomes a problem when we go into introspection.
    Our Higher Self, call the Divine in us wants us to fulfill our noble intentions, but the animal instinct in us tempts us away and leads us to taste the joys of flesh. Invariably this happens against our own wishes!!
    Love,
    Chithra.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  8. Chitvish

Dear Pavi,
    Everytime, you write so dutifully write or sign as "your IL disciple"! With the way you all analyse beautifully, I think that word Disciple is superfluous!
    For what you have written - we are more into "living & adjusting with times"! We dutifully justify ourselves that we have to move ahead, only keeping with the times!
    Duryodhana was once asked(in a verse attributed to him) what impelled him to do adharmic actions. He responded:'
    I know what is right and I also know what is wrong.
    My problem is not that I have any innocence or confusion with reference to what is right or wrong.
    My problem is knowing dharma, I do not pursue it and knowing adharma, I am not refraining from it!!
    I think, it holds good for most of us!
    Love,
    Chithra.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  9. Chitvish

Dear Vidhi,
    If this happens, then we know, first we are trying to convince ourselves because we feel compelled to do the action. On retrospection, our heart gives us the correct answer!
    Love,
    Chithra.

10. gayathriar

gayathriar Bronze IL'ite

Dear C

It is true that it is a universal question and we are curious to know what pushes a person to commit sin. During the 12 days of ceremony following my FIL's death, our family vadhyar( priest ) was reading Garuda Puranam every evening and during one such session I raised this question. He suggested that what is right for one may be wrong for the other and our actions are dictated by our Karma and it is advisable to follow one's moral dictates. Needless to say, I am curious to read your interpretation of Lord Krishna's explanation.

Dear Sri

That was an excellent and thorough analysis. I could literally read your thought process and I am so glad that I got to read this. The quote from the Dhammapada has provided me with a hint - while reading this post, I was thinking of the following scenerio:
    Let us take the example of a soldier who has committed murder of innocent civilians during a war. A kind hearted soldier might later regret this, but a cruel soldier might derive pleasure thinking about crushing his enemy.
    I am wondering, though both have been in the same circumstance and have performed the same deed, could the latter be a sinner because of the ways of his mind?

-Gayathri