Never forget that you are a Role Model for others-Bhagavad Gita Verses 3.20-3.21

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

To prove that, there have been people who, in the midst of the taxing earthly activities, were absorbed in the Self, Krisna answers:

KarmaNaiva hi samsiddhimasthitha janakaadaya:
    Lokasangrahamaevaapi sampasyan karthumarhasi 3.20

Verily, through action without attachment alone, Janaka and others reached perfection.
    If nothing else, atleast for the guidance of the world you must perform action.

This verse extols action for its value to the world and as a means to eternal liberation from bondage. At the same time, it illustrates with concrete examples the abstract principles of Karma Yoga and their effects.

Janaka ruled as a king throughout his life and performed all his duties without attachment, in a spirit of worship of the Lord and thus climbed to the heights of Perfection.

Lastly, Krishna says that though Arjuna may not feel like being of service to mankind, he must fulfil his obligatory duty "for the guidance of the world" (Lokasangrahamaevaapi sampasyan karthumarhasi).
    For, the educated members of the community have this responsibility of guiding those who are less privileged.

Now, one might be tempted to wonder how his personal actions will affect the world of man!

Krishna explains:

Yadyadaacharathi shreshtasthath thadevetharO jana:
    Sa yasthpramaaNam kuruthe lOkasssthadanuvarthathe -3.21

Whatever a great man does, the other men also do (imitate); whatever he sets up as the standard, that the world (people) follows.

This verse describes the tendency of the masses to follow the example of evolved men.
    At the same time, it touches Arjuna's pride. In this lies the great skill of the discourse.
    Although indirectly stated, the idea is conveyed to Arjuna that he is venerated in society and that people will follow his example. Therefore he has a responsibility which extend beyond his own interest. For the evolution of his own soul, Arjuna is expected to stand up and engage in activity. And, should he not care about his own evolution, he must embrace activity for the sake of others.

Love,
    Chithra.

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

King Janaka was one of the most illustrious Kings that ever ruled this country. He had the benefit of being guided by such great Gurus like Yagnavalkya and Suka. He was a true Athmajnani and was called Videha which literally meant ‘without body’ because of his total awareness that Janaka was not the physical body but the Spirit within. In spite of being a great King, he lived a life of utter simplicity and total obedience to his Gurus. He proved by his own example that notwithstanding the position that one occupied in life, every one was a servant of God carrying out His commands. There can be no greater tribute to King Janaka than the fact that he is being cited as an example by the Lord Himself in this verse. There are numerous stories about Janaka which highlight his greatness and a reading of them would give us a true insight into the philosophy of Gita.

Once Francois De Sales, the Bishop of Geneva in the 17th Century, was asked how would it be possible for anyone who was himself very high in the office to practise the virtue of obedience. The reply that he gave would almost sound like a recapitulation of the life of Janaka. He said ‘The people who are already very high in the office have greater and more excellent ways of doing so than their inferiors. Those are bound by obedience are usually subject to one superior only. But those who are themselves superior have a wider field for obedience even while they are in a commanding position. They bear in mind that it is God who has placed them over other men and gives them the command that they have over them. They will therefore exercise that command out of their obedience to God as His servant and thus, even while commanding, they will obey. There is no position so high that will not be subject to a Spiritual Superior in what concerns the conscience and the Soul’

I consider Francois De Sales’ exposition as the best description of the life of Janaka and the like. Humility comes out of the realisation of the Truth that no one is so great that he is not subject to the rule of a Superior Power. Humility is the most effective weapon against ego. It will be worthwhile here to remember the story of Bharatha. Even though he was offered the Kingship of Khosala through the machinations of his mother Kaikeyi, Bharatha preferred only to administer it as the servant of Rama. He went to the extent of placing Rama’s sandals upon the throne and sit beneath them to carry on his duties. In fact, he sowed the seed of ‘Ramrajya’ and Rama just carried on where Bharatha left.

The persons who are in a position of command have a greater responsibility to be role models for others. Every one in this world is in some way or other in a position of command with regard to a few others. We have a distinctive role to play as a son or a daughter, parent, neighbour, employer, employee, a citizen. A child picks up its habits from its parents. So the need to be a good role model for others starts from our homes. The best way to teach good manners and values of life to a child would be only to practise them ourselves. No amount of advice that we give our children will have any positive effect on them if our own lives are a great contradiction of what we preach. In our professional set up, we reach a commanding position by our attitude to work and not by our hierarchical position. A person of high integrity and total commitment will certainly command great respect irrespective of the position that he occupies.

3. corallux

corallux Bronze IL'ite

My dear Gita Gurus,
    This is something I can relate to.
    Chithraji, kids are told stories of famous people. This is done so that
    they get inspired to follow their path of life.
    An incident relates to this lesson. In a party, people were sitting
    around talking. The hostess asked her kid to go to bed as it was late.
    The child in uter innocence said,"Why mom? How come you can stay up late
    & I can't?"
    That was the last late night party hosted in their house.
    A perfect example is when people compliment parents by saying,"You have
    raised good kids."
    A popular saying goes "A family that prays & eats together stays together."
    Very apt for these times when everyone is "Busy" in his/her own activity.
    Cheeniyaji, Sai himself lead by example when he said he is doing what
    "Dwarkamayi" says. He has no hold over anything. He is a shining example of
    We should lead our lives.
    Actions done without any attachment leads to progress on the spiritual path.
    This week's teachings are a hope to lay people (including me) showing
    there is hope.
    My Mom says the best way to enhance the flavour of any dish is to think
    it is being cooked for God. The flavour is enhanced automatically.
    The beauty of the Gita my dear Gurus I believe is that it is relevant for all
    times.
    Regards,
    Corallux

4. Cheeniya

Dear Corallux
    Your mum's suggestion for enhancing the flavour and taste of food is very profound if only we view it in the context of what the Lord reiterates in these verses. This is the reason why the prasad distributed in Temples have a special taste which none of us can bring out in our cooking. A leading sweet stall owner in Chennai once told me that no cook can ever duplicate the quality of Tirupathi laddu!

"A family that prays and eats together stays together" is again an extremely useful tip for promoting healthy family bond. Unfortunately with all the drastic changes in our living conditions, such family values have taken a back seat.

Baba's total faith in Dwarakamayi comes out in vivid colours in how Baba warns Babasaheb Mirikar about a serpent. Baba has shown that with that kind of total faith in the Absolute, no harm can come to anyone. An amazing incident truly!
    Sri

5. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Dear Chithra,

What an awesome title.....such a big responsibility na! But i guess as long as we don't think it as a burden , or role playing, but sincerely do our work with Joy and Detachment , then we automatically become good role models!

well following evolved souls i guess is okay, but what about the modern younger generation following the ways of their "evolved" souls, be it a superstar from cinemas or from the other entertainment worlds.....they are playing a role and our younger ones are emulating only that!
    I just wish they read ur Gita lessons and mend their ways, since they fall in this category where they are leading the next generation in the wrong way!
    Just my 2 cents!My 2cents
    I am happy to be back reading your posts and responding....
    Computer Typing

"Now, one might be tempted to wonder how his personal actions will affect the world of man!

6. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya,
    I was impressed with last week's Othello and today am equally pleased with your description of janaka and his virtues!

Loved these lines......

"Humility comes out of the realisation of the Truth that no one is so great that he is not subject to the rule of a Superior Power. Humility is the most effective weapon against ego."

And this role model concept is great....how true that we need to be careful , that too in front of children, who emulate anything and everything we do or say!

"The best way to teach good manners and values of life to a child would be only to practise them ourselves. No amount of advice that we give our children will have any positive effect on them if our own lives are a great contradiction of what we preach.
    "A person of high integrity and total commitment will certainly command great respect irrespective of the position that he occupies."

the above are profound statements.....but difficult to keep hem in mind and follow always! But i guess with practise and keeping a check on our activities we can achieve this.....but like i had written to Chithra, how can we change these heroes and superheroes or heroines who are role models for our youngsters , leading them in all wrong paths, away from our culture na!?:-(

great examples for bringing out Gita thoughts! :thumbsup

7. mkthpavi

mkthpavi Senior IL'ite

Dear C & C,
    Fantastic write-ups.
    Being a role model is not an easy task. There is a lot of responsibility, visibility and (sometimes unnecessary) publicity.
    All of us are role models to someone or the other, whether we like it or not, although we may not know who is looking up to us !
    We should be role models for good things overall....unlike a Saddam Hussein or a Hitler, who are role models only for those with not-so-noble intentions towards humanity.
    With power comes greater responsibility. If SRK or RajniKanth do something on screen in their movies, the fans just follow blindly...so it is upto them to spread messages of goodness and not show bad examples.
    Amidst all this, one should not buckle under pressure to keep up one's image...doing one's duty, being kind, being devoted to God should become a natural part of our lives rather than a forced thing.
    Thanks for your beautiful write-ups.
    With love
    Your IL disciple
    Pavithra

8. Cheeniya

Dear Sudha
    I am happy that you like the examples that I give to get a better perspective of the Verses. It is a generally accepted fact that a leader must lead by example. That is what we do when we put out our best side when we deal with our children even if it means covering up a bit of our own dark side. Two things emerge from this. One is our great concern for our children. We want them to inherit only our positive features. Second is our own fear of showing our not so good side to them even though we may be aware of them ourselves. We find it easier to cover them up than getting rid of them!
    It is a point to be noted that whenever we come across cases of juvenile delinquency, we always blame the parents for not bringing up these children properly. Even people like Gandhiji were guilty of this lapse. Gandhiji, for example, was an extremely inspiring leader of the masses that earned him the title of "Father of the Nation" but he could not be an ideal father for his children.
    The action of some parents using undue influence to bail out their erring children from ghastly crimes like running over people in their expensive limousines is like pouring acid at the roots of a growing tree. Hope they understand that!
    Sri

9. Cheeniya

Dear Pavithra
    Your examples of SRK and RK are good ones. The late MGR was only too aware of this aspect and hence desisted from taking up any negative roles in films. MGR was never seen smoking or drinking in his films. His stature grew phenomenally thanks to his awareness of this simple truth. Ultimately he rose to become the Chief Minister of Tamilnadu in which position he continued till his death. Even now his name is used to woo the voters!

As far as common folks like us concerned, we must remember that every one has a tiny following that makes it necessary for him to be a good role model. May our understanding of Gita help us to bring up our children as good human beings!
    Sri

10. gayathriar

gayathriar Bronze IL'ite

Dear C & C

Not forgetting that one is a role model is an excellent way to condition oneself. Especially, for those who haven't yet evolved completely. As average human beings, we always want to put up our best face in front of others. Thinking that we are watched and emulated by others instills a sense of responsibility and controls our thought and behavior. Thanks for your detailed explanation.

-Gayathri