Neither the fear of loss nor the lure of gain – Bhagavad Gita 3.18-3.19

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

The rational intellect never stops questioning!
    The Teacher anticipates the doubts and confusions, likely to arise in Arjuna's mind and clears them even before Arjuna moulds his questions into words.
    In the following verse, the Lord answers the unasked question of Arjuna.

Naiva thasya kruthaenaarthO naakruthaenaeha kas(h)chana
    Na chaasya sarvabhoothaeshu kas(h)chidartha vyapaas(h)raya: 3.18

For him there is here no interest whatever, in what is done or what is not done; nor does he depend upon any being for any object.

The compulsion to act comes from two anxieties:
    The anxiety to gain something by action
    The anxiety of losing something by non-performance of the action.
    One, who is living in the experience of the Self has discovered that he need not depend upon anybody to gain a particular object nor exert himself to get the favour of anybody.
    So, with the exception of a handful of perfect ones, all of us must perform our duties in society or be crushed by the wheel of action.

In the next verse, Krishna pointedly advises Arjuna:

Thasmaadasaktha: sathatham karyam karma samaachara
    AsakthO hyaacharan karma paramaapnOthi poorusha: 3.19

Therefore, always perform actions which should be done, without attachment; for, by performing action without attachment, man attains the Supreme.

Till now Krishna was explaining the Wheel of Action and after exhausting the exposition of the entire theory, he, in this stanza, is crystallising his conclusions encouraging Arjuna to act.

Everyone of us, insists the Gita, must fulfil all our obligatory duties all through our life without any attachment.
    But then what about our spiritual unfoldment?
    Krishna assures us that there is no need for anyone to worry about his inner spiritual unfoldment. When we learn to live without ego and desires, fulfilling all our duties, the existing vasanas get exhausted and the bosom is filled up with peace and tranquillity. When the mind is at rest, it is alert and perceives the Reality, now shrouded from it, by its own agitations. Therefore Krishna says by
    performing action without attachment, man attains the Supreme
    (AsakthO hyaacharan karma paramaapnOthi poorusha; )

Love,
    Chithra.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2008

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Shakespeare’s crafty handling of the character of Othello, who has now become synonymous with dilemma, is more to be pitied than censured. Basically a gentle and reasonable man, he allows himself to be manipulated by the villainous Iago to a point of no-return. Iago’s skilful lies create in Othello such an emotional imbalance that makes him murder Desdemona in the end. The Oxford English dictionary defines a ‘Dilemma’ as a situation in which a difficult choice has to be made between alternatives that are equally undesirable. Standing in the front of the battlefield of Kurukshetra, that is what Arjuana is facing, or thinks that he is facing. But unlike Othello, Arjuna is soon retrieved from his terrible dilemma by the Lord Himself through some extremely wise counselling which has withstood the test of time.

To be in a dilemma is fundamentally a human weakness. A well-balanced person will never be in a dilemma and even if he is, he will either resolve it himself or take guidance from someone who is more balanced than him. It is bad to be in a dilemma but worse still is letting unscrupulous people take advantage of it and create a mire from which it will be a Herculean task to emerge unscathed.

Dilemma is a result of indecisiveness. Indecisiveness results from apprehension of the result of our action and the apprehension arises out of too much emotional attachment to the result. That is why, the Lord repeatedly stresses on the need to steer our mind clear of the effects of our actions. Once we develop a Yogic attitude of non-attachment to the results of our actions, the mind will no longer feel turbulent about it.

All spiritualists consider contemplation as the end and purpose of an action. All actions spur them on to further contemplation. The materialists, on the other hand, consider action particularly directed towards material and social progress as the very end. For example, let us take the Large Hadron Collidor experiment being conducted at the Swiss-French border that will help scientists understand the gaps in our understanding of the cosmos. The scientists will be happy with the purpose and result of this experiment but the spiritualists will extend their spiritual enquiry from where the scientists conclude. They know that these experiments will throw light on only an infinitesimal aspect of God’s mighty Domain. Their spiritual quest will eventually lead them on to a greater understanding of the Divine Ground while the materialists will be nowhere near it.

The Lord’s advice to Arjuna must also be understood in this context. All attachment to action will deter our progress beyond the action itself and its results. Contemplation beyond action is possible only when we remain unattached to the results of action. As a corollary, when we start getting more and more contemplative, our attachment to our action may get lesser and lesser.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  3. corallux

corallux Bronze IL'ite

My dear Gita Gurus,

Every human faces a time when she/he stands on the crossroads of life
    with a question.

Scriptures say that instead of exhausting our energies in thinking the pros & cons,to just "Go with the flow," i.e., do what you feel is the best & let the results rest in the hands of Divinity.

Dear Chithraji, when you say, "The anxiety to gain something by action
    The anxiety of losing something by non-performance of the action," you
    have summed up the thinking of an average human.
    When we have some problems we immediately turn to rituals with a desire
    they end our problems. But it is a few that perform these rituals with
    a feeling of detachment.

Dear Cheeniyaji, every beginning has an end. Science may prove many things.

It may prove that life started as a single strand of DNA that evolved into many life forms. The first life form too must have had an origin.
    Regarding actions, Shri Sai himself showed the way. Never once did he
    take credit for the miracles/cures/blessings. "God is the master" was his
    constant saying.

In life, people give credit to many people for their position in life.In fact, if I can even ramble on & on in this forum, it is because of you
    my Gurus.
    Regards,
    Corallux

4. Malathijagan

Malathijagan Silver IL'ite

Dear Chithra and Cheeniya sir,
    Whether we like it or not we have to perform our actions. And while performing, we are always in a dilemma-to take this path or that path? Both are equally difficult choices. If we take one path it leads to one result and if we take another, it is a different result. There may be infinite paths and infinite results. Some paths lead us to peace and not happiness. And the Great Krishna says-"Don't bother about the fruits!" So if I am forced to take a decision/path that is going to put me in misery not because I wanted to take that path but because of some one else should I still not bother about the results? May be I need not. But the pain that is caused? How to get rid of it? Time I suppose will be the balm?
    How I wish life could be like a mathematical calculation! If we don't get the right answer one way we could try it umpteen times in various ways! But in maths we are dealing with an inanimate object, that is numbers while in life we have to deal with flesh, blood, heart and soul!
    Still we have no other choice but to take Krishna's advice-Perform your actons and leave the fruits to me!
    Hmm.. I got an opportunity to unwind!
    Love,
    Malathi

5. Cheeniya

Dear Corallux

I loved your summing up
    'Scriptures say that instead of exhausting our energies in thinking the pros & cons,to just "Go with the flow," i.e., do what you feel is the best & let the results rest in the hands of Divinity'.

What is most important is not 'going with the flow' like a log of wood but doing so in the best manner possible by summoning all that God has blessed us with. It is interesting to note your speculation on the origin of life. It is interesting that the scientists who are part of the LHC experiment also talk of the 'God particle' that may have triggered the first life forms.

Shri Sai acknowledging the hand of the Divine in whatever he did had a parallel in what Yogi Ram Surat Kumar of Tiruvannamalai always used to say when we paid our obeisance to him. "My Master blesses you' he would say.
    Sri

6. vidhi

vidhi Senior IL'ite

Re: Neither the fear of loss nor the lure of gain – Bhagavad Gita 3.18-3.19

Dear Chith

I liked the following lines
    The compulsion to act comes from two anxieties:
    The anxiety to gain something by action
    The anxiety of losing something by non-performance of the action.

Yes it is very true if we think over it. To perform duties without an attachment to it becomes very difficult. Most of the time only when we suffer we come to know the depth of our attachment. So for all this selfless action is needed very much in every sphere of life. Thank you chith.

Love
    Vidhi

7. vidhi

vidhi Senior IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

You made me think about the word dilemma. Yes it is very true that during dilemma’s we do not want to select the options available to us. And it is most of the time we tend to think too much about the consequences that we have to face after taking the decision. That is where here Lord comes to Arjuna’s help. It is really great to know that our scriptures had the answers to our all our questions.

Regards
    Vidhi

8. Cheeniya

Dear Malathi
    That FB of yours sets me thinking.
    It is true that more often than not, we are forced to take certain decisions the results of which may be quite unpalatable to us. If you will carefully analyse the content of Gita, you'll know that pain and pleasure are the result of our egocentric involvement in our actions. When the Lord says 'Dont bother about the results' , it would only mean that we should remain unattached to the action. We are,here, more like an arrow in the hands of a skillful archer. The arrow may be on its way to take someone's life or to pluck a fruit from a tree. It matters very little to the arrow. Gita suggests that we develop an attitude similar to that of an arrow. He is the Skillful Archer and He decides the purpose of our journey.

Malathi, I agree that it is difficult to follow Gita particularly when we face a piquant situation in life. Gita can certainly serve as an effective sheet anchor when our emotions go haywire due to the turbulent happenings in our life. It prevents us from going overboard in letting our emotions get the better of us.
    Sri

9. Cheeniya

Dear Vidhi
    When our perceptions are very clear and our actions are taken in strict conformity with the moral and ethical standards laid down for our pursuit, it is unlikely that we may face a dilemma. Dilemma is the hallmark of our egocentric involvement in our actions. When He is ready to own up responsibility for our actions, why should we have dilemma at all assuming, of course, that we do not swerve from the Divine Laws?
    Sri?

10. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Lux,
    Believe me, just recently, I have blogged on "the other side of life" ! I am yet to post it.
    Going with the flow in life is the only choice, but easily said than followed.
    For our own mental peace and better vibrations, we must do rituals, but we must do them with the prayer "come what may, please, Lord, give me the strength to emerge successfully from trials & tribulations with faith in you & prayer on my lips". Rituals do not end problems, but give us the mental stamina!
    Love,
    Chithra.