Living in symbiosis with cosmic forces - Bhagavad Gita Verse 3.11

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

In verse 3.10, the Lord points to the prosperity of the individual as one result of yajna.
    In the next verse He goes on to show another advantage.
    No achievement is impossible for a man, if he knows how to act in the discipline of co-operation and if he is ready to bring forth into his activities, the required amount of non-attachment and spirit of sacrifice.
    How can this be achieved by sacrifice?

Devan bhaavayathaanaena thae devaa bhaavayanthu va:
    Parasparam bhaavayantha: shreya: pramavaapsyatha 3.11

Cherish the devas with the yajna spirit and those devas in turn will cherish you; thus cherishing each other, you shall gain the highest good.

This verse explains the mechanics of the vast influence which one’s actions create throughout the Universe – all the laws of nature on the level of the doer react to every action.
    Yajna is a process of bringing the individual into harmony with the stream of evolution, which enjoys the favour of all the forces of nature engaged in the advancement of life, individual (micro) and cosmic (macro).
    The Devas mentioned here are the “presiding deity” in any field of activity, who blesses the worker in that field with his profit. They preside over the innumerable laws of nature, which are present everwhere throughout relative life.

When men in a community strive co-operatively, without ego and ego-centric desires, the Cosmic Forces that constitute the environment, shall cherish them in turn. ( this is what we call now ecological balance). In short, when man works in the yajna spirit, the outer circumstances must miraculously change their pattern to be conducive to the common will of the selfless community striving for the goal.

When we cherish the outer Cosmic Forces (Devas), they shall in return cherish us with the fulfilment of our welfare or whatever is the common demand of the total community striving together. This is a Divine Law – a Universal Truth – a scientific fact, as well.
    Thus, mutually cherishing each order, let man, with the grace of Devas, achieve the greatest prosperity (Parasparam bhaavayantha: shreya: pramavaapsyatha).

Love,
    Chithra.

2. Chitvish

Cheeniya's Supplement Post:

The relevance of this particular verse of Gita cannot be overemphasized in the modern context when man’s utter disregard for the need to live in harmony with Nature has landed him in a dire situation. We hear scientists screaming about the unprecedented hole in Ozone layer and about the toxic emissions causing a global warming of such a magnitude that they predict that the planet will become inhospitable in about a couple of hundred years. There was a news item only yesterday that mountain plants requiring a cool climate to thrive have started moving upwards. The plants that were found aplenty at 6000’ are now found at 7000’ only. Heavy melting of polar ice caps is likely to result in the oceans of the world swelling ominously and threatening to wipe out many coastal towns.

Let us set aside the spiritual content of this Verse for a second and look at it from a purely physical experience. In the days of yore, man lived in total awe of life giving Natural Forces. He worshipped them as Divine, giving them distinguishing names like Varuna, Vayu etc. He performed regular Yagnas to appease them and he would not even dream of doing anything that would upset the Nature. Seasons arrived on time and man synchronized all his activities with the march of the seasons. Man was even able to calculate how much rainfall there would be each year in advance. Even today, we read in traditional almanacs how much rainfall there would be in the ensuing year and how much of it would fall on mountains, plains and the oceans.

Everything went on smoothly as long as man perfectly understood the role he had to play at the micro and macro levels. When greed and ego spread their ugly tentacles and captured the human mind, the decay started. Man has become a lot more self-oriented than what he was a few centuries back. Man today never hesitates to misuse the natural resources for personal enrichment. Only now it has dawned on him that he reaps only what he sows. Cosmic forces are hitting back at him so that good sense can be drilled into him. The climatic changes, awful seismic activities and catastrophic natural disorders are all manifestations of the upset cosmic forces.

This verse of Gita may even be treated as an allegory to highlight the respect to be shown to the cosmic forces. The ecological imbalances that we talk of may be full of scientific jargon but in the simplest of terms, it means that we are not cherishing the Devas with the spirit of Yagna.

Here is a Buddhist thought:
    “It is by losing the egocentric life that we can experience the hitherto latent and undiscovered life which, in the spiritual part of our being, we share with the Divine Ground. This newfound life is ‘more abundant’ than the other (physical life) and of a different and higher kind. Its possession is liberation into the eternal and liberation is beatitude”
    Sri.

3. Chitvish

Dear Friends,
    I apologise for the delay in this week's posting.
    Cheeniya's internet connectivity was playing truant and since his supplement post is as meaningful as (or perhaps more than?) my leader post, I waited till now. But he copied his post in a pen-drive and sent it across!
    I thank him profusely and I also thank all of you who sent me PMs asking why I had not posted on Thursday morning. We both cannot ask for a better FB!
    Thanks.
    Love,
    Chithra.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  4. corallux

corallux Bronze IL'ite

My dear Gita Gurus,

"Dharmo rakshati rakshata' say the elders.

This week's can be summed by by what Newton said in his laws of motion " Every action has an equal & opposite reaction."

Regarding respecting nature the perfect example is that of an important festival gone by "Shri Nag Panchami." In Maharashtra, women call snakes as "Bhau" (Brother). Not surprising as they control the rodent population & ensure the crops do not get destroyed which in turn results in prosperity for the farmer.

The indiscriminate killing of these reptiles along with global warming has resulted in a disaster that has resulted in suicides.

It is "Narli Purnima" today which is supposed to herald the end of the rains. Thanks to the climate changes, the rains continue to pour.

The spirit of community that you have mentioned Chithraji is what is helping the pensioners in Australia. The government is not doing much in making their life easy for them. It took a young girl to come forward & now "Adopt a pensioner' scheme is very popular here.

Cheeniyaji's example of the depleting Ozone layer is felt here in Oz. We no doubt lead the world in cure for cancer but unfortunately, we also lead in terms of people suffering from cancer.

Natural foods are now being replaced by GM foods. So out goes nutrition and in comes 'taste' that will lead to more diseases. Looks like the "vegetable gardens' will make a come back.

Living in harmony with the community leads to happiness. Small wonder suicides are becoming the norm of the day?

Thousands of years ago, our elders foresaw the disasters man would get on this beautiful planet. Hence the various vrats were introduced to educate the generations about their place in the cosmos.

Apologies for the long post my dear Gurus. Just got carried away.

Regards,

Corallux

5. gayathriar

gayathriar Bronze IL'ite

Dear Chitvish and Sri,

I abosolutely loved the title for this week. It is interesting to note that Gita prescribes living in harmony with nature( Devas in this sloka - as most of our Devas are nature Gods/Godesses ). Either Gita is prophetic or probably, this kind of abuse is cyclic -
    from awe towards natural force towards complete exploitation.

I believe in conservation and try my best to do that in every possible way in my day-to-day life. However, I wonder many a times how to strike a balance between progress and living in harmony with nature. For example, the discovery of petroleum and its use revolutionized the world and shrunk the globe. But, we also know that we are depleting a definitive energy source and that it may not be available after a few generations. Similarly, pesticides and fertilizers probably were introduced to increase food production and might have even been in the general good of solving the hunger problem. But, as we have been using them, we realize that these chemicals seep into the produce as well and create a lot of health related issues. In short, what I mean is there can be discoveries or inventions that could have been made with the best of intentions even with yagya spirit, but over a period of time, they might turn out to be disasterous and eventually unharmonious with nature. Does synthesising a new chemical compound mean disharmony with nature? Can you please explain how we can be progressive as well ensure we are harmonious with nature?

-Gayathri.

6. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mrs.Chith,
    I was wondering why there were no posts on this Thursday, but I then felt it was Varalakshmi Pooja the next day..so the delay... we will wait ..

This week's topic is on the 'give and take policy'...if we give back to the proportion of what we take, then there will be no problem at all...but that proportion is wider and we all see the differences in nature because of that...

Cheeniya Sir,
    Nicely pointed out with the eg. of how nature is changing because of human's attitude..the trees seen in higher altitudes and the melting of ice-caps.
    It is better we understand that what we sow we reap, better late than never and find ways to be in harmony with nature...
    Foreigners used to make fun of our culture by saying we were worshipping the trees, animals, etc...through which we maintained our connections with nature and respected it...but now...

sriniketan

7. vidhi

vidhi Senior IL'ite

Dear Chith
    You have explained well about the need of living according to the nature’s way. We should not do anything to upset the nature. If at all we do we are sure to suffer. If we do good we will get the goodness out of it. If we do bad we are sure to get the bad result out of it. What ever action we do it all affects the nature whether it is good or bad. It shows us how important is it to perform each of our actions as yajna. Only by giving mutual importance we will be able to live in this world in harmony. So with this post we are able to understand that Gita is also according to scientific terms.
    Love
    Vidhi

8. vidhi

vidhi Senior IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya Sir

In olden days man worshipped the natural forces and lived according to the law of nature. He did not go against them because he had a great respect for it. Giving respect for one another should be practised. Is it for the same reason that Lord Krishna asking the gokula vasis to worship Govardhana Moutain?

regards
    Vidhi

9. Chitvish

Dear Lux,
    I am happy you got carried away - the result is a very enjoyable, relevant FB !
    Krishna shows how Yajna spirit is a universal law of nature. Everywhere around us,from the twinkling stars to the flowing rivers, nature serves the world in the Yajna spirit.The sun shines, but does not demand our appreciation. Rain falls, rivers flow, plants flower, trees bear fruits, oceans heave, towering mountains stand.... all serve the world to make it what it is; but none of them demands even a passing recognition from the people who are the beneficiaries.
    The Creator conceived the yajna spirit along with the creatures and presented it as a gift to the highest-evolved creature,man!
    It is due to a weakness inherent in manthat he fails at his attempts at co-operative endeavours.By sacrificing the ego, we must work co-operatively.
    Love,
    Chithra.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  10. Chitvish

Dear Gayathri,
    Needless for me to say that Sri deserves the appreciation for the title and credit should go to him..
    In the name of modernisation, havoc is created now in many respects.
    We do not walk even a short distance any more but want a vehicle, atleast a two-wheeler.More cars are seen on the roads than pedestrians. How long can oil last?
    Huge chemical plants are constructed and pollution levels are reached high in the neighbouring areas.
    Trees are chopped mercileesly, but we cry that the rains are cheating us every year.
    For a minor pain or ache, we do not allow the defence system in our body to come to the fore, but rush for a pain-reliever.
    Though not always, chemical synthesis is taking place only at the cost of destruction of some creation in nature.
    Take agriculture for example. Were we not growing good crops with manure from cattle, earthworms etc before the synthetic manure came into existence? Now, it is said that pesticides cause more damage to the health and want to revert back to organic crops and vegetables.
    Sri Ramakrishna says:
    Whatever you offer to the Lord is returned to you, magnified manifold. Take care, therefore, that you do not offer anything bad to him.
    Love,
    Chithra.