Demystification of the Practice of Karma Yoga-Bhavagad Gita Chapter 3

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

The second chapter presented us Sankhya Yoga.

The theoretical aspect is called the wisdom of Sankhya, it brings understanding of the absolute and the relative fields of life as separate, one from another.
    The practical aspect is called Yoga and it brings direct experience of these two fields of life in separation.

The third chapter called Karma Yoga presents a practical application of the second. It describes in detail the role of the "established intellect" in practical life. This provides us, occupied in the "market-place" of the world, with a direct way of evolution and eternal liberation. Its teaching is applicable to everyone, whatever be the vocation.

This chapter develops the seed thought contained in the first three words of verse 2.48.
    "Yogasthu kuru karmani"

Established in Yoga, perform actions.
    This doctrine of Karma Yoga, the Yoga of Action, forms the chapter's main theme.

We have seen that when vasanas are good, our activities are noble.
    Bad vasanas push us to ignoble acivity. When vasanas are eliminated neither good nor evil actions spring from our vainful ego. Actions that spring forth into expressions in such men are very divinely-inspired actions – pure Lok Seva, service to the Lord, through service of His creation around us.
    Vasana-exhaustion is the main scheme in self-improvement.
    How can we eliminate them? This secret psychological method of eliminating vasanas, while expressing the most powerful ones in us now present, is presented in the third chapter.

Egocentric desires like "I" and "I want" attitudes are selfish acts, prompted by personal desire-gratifications and generate vasana encrustations. The third chapter subtly indicates this truth and suggests how best man can immediately grow in peace and tranquillity by acting in a spirit of ego-surrendered, unselfish enthusiasm, born out of dedication to a higher ideal.

Swami Sukhabodhananda terms the words karma yoga very beautifully as
    The inner alchemy of action.
    The Path of Action called Karma Yoga is a highly scientific way of life which all of us can easily adopt, when once we have understood its total implications.

The world of objects and beings remaining the same, every one of us, in whatever condition we may be at present, can learn and grow to unbelievable heights, gathering to ourselves a new stature, undreamt of us, by anyone around, at any time!

Love,
    Chithra.

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

“Adi Sankaracharya wrote a number of Vedantic works for imparting knowledge of the self and the universal spirit. He also composed a number of hymns to foster bhakthi in the hearts of men. One of these hymns is the famous Bhaja Govindam. The way of devotion is not different from the way of knowledge or gnaana. When intelligence matures and lodges securely in the mind, it becomes wisdom. When wisdom is integrated with life and issues out in action, it becomes bhakthi. Knowledge, when it becomes fully mature, is bhakthi. If it does not get transformed into bhakthi, such knowledge is useless tinsel. To believe that gnaana and bhakthi, knowledge and devotion are different from each other is ignorance. If Sri Adi Sankara himself, who drank the ocean of gnaana as easily as one sips water from the palm of one's hand, sang in his later years, hymns to develop devotion, it is enough to show that gnaana and bhakthi are one and the same. Sri Sankara has packed into the Bhaja Govindam song, the succinct of all Vedanta and set the oneness of gnaana and bhakthi to melodious music.”

Remember these words? This was the famous introduction by Rajaji to the rendition of Bhaja Govindam by the immortal MS Subbulakshmi. Those of you who have this CD would have heard Rajaji’s words any number of times. He has stated emphatically that all our knowledge is useless unless it gets transformed into Bhakthi. Bhakthi is not mere worshipful adoration as we normally understand it. Bhakthi is tuning ourselves totally to the Divine Purpose. So when he says that knowledge is useless unless it gets transformed into Bhakthi, he only points out the absolute need to use our knowledge in furthering His Cause.

Once, a man declared that he had mastered the art of walking on water and invited everyone to witness this incredible act. On the appointed day, a huge crowd had gathered on the banks of a nearby river to witness the extraordinary act of this man. The man arrived there with a lot of fan fare and started walking on water. When he returned to the banks of the river, a boat man asked him how long it took him to master this art and the man proudly replied that it took him 14 years of hard work. The boatman asked him what was the need to waste 14 years of his life in practising this art when the boats were ready to ferry him across the river for a paltry sum! This oft-repeated parable of Ramakrishna Paramahamsa is indeed very profound.

Many of us think that pursuing the spiritual side of our life is given to only a few and that it requires special and arduous practice. We do not understand that it just requires integration of our all actions with the unitive Divine Law. Our actions must seek to glorify His Existence and not ours, as the creators of Guinness records believe! The man who spent 14 years to master the art of walking on water merely indulged in self glorification. The Third Chapter of Gita is all about this aspect of dedicating our actions to a higher ideal and achieving a state of spiritualism even as we live our mundane life.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  3. corallux

corallux Bronze IL'ite

My Dear Gita Gurus ( Chithraji & Cheeniyaji),

A lovely piece on the importance of Bhakti in our day to day lives. I agree with Rajaji's intro as quoted by Cheeniyaji.

Day in day out, we see a lot of havans & poojas being done for "World Peace" etc. But I wonder why there are no takers. I got my answer when I went to one. There was a lot of pomp & show, lots of complex mantras being chanted. But the atmosphere, it resembled more of a "Gossip-Centre". Everything was there but nothing was there. The most important thing "Bhakti" was missing.

Many a times, I have asked my parents the need to go to temples when you cannot pray in peace. The answer has alwys been, " to see your Bhakti."

A Bhakt will never get distracted by any distractions big/small.

Chithraji, this reminds me of the verse you quoted to me when I PMed you with a doubt last year. It was taken from the Holy Gita. I apologise for putting it here out of turn. I am sure, you & Cheeniyaji will do full justice of explaining it when we come to it.

It is the same verse that ShriKrishna tells Arjun," Even if a drop of water or a leaf is offered to me with DEVOTION, I will accept it."

Hinduism in it's wisdom knew the limitations of Human mind to do a ritual with devotion. Hence all major & minor rituals end with a "punha pooja" and a "Kshamayachna".

This is to give us mortals another chance to serve the lord with Devotion. The same devotion you my Gita Gurus (Chithraji & Cheeniyaji) teach us the aspects of the Holy Gita every week.

Regards,

Corallux

4. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear C & C,

Now don't start wondering as to what LS is doing in Vendata class. LS has been a silent reader catching up the old threads but successfully could not finish them. Because these needs to be mulled over and can't be read like a story. But suddenly realised then the pile will be so much, hence let me attend the class. So here I have come to eat your heads again..............Witsend.

Mami your write up is great no doubt but by Sri sir adding his side has brought it out very well. I know you are telling me that everybody is telling the same ......... what is new in it but LS telling this is new here that's the reason. OK don't get angry now........and Witsend

Whenever I listen to BG, I listen to Rajaji and these words have been memorised so when I saw the opening lines I was wondering what has happended to Sri sir he is just writing what Rajaji said...... ennapanradhu koncham avasara kudkai....
    I agree with this partially because everybody can pursue the spiritual side but how many really realise this. There are people who think only money is important and by donating lot of money for temples, homas & poojas is Bhakthi.We just cannot make them understand this. Recently one of my cousin had come to mom's place and he is celebrating the birth anniversary of a rishi and asked for donation. The total expenditure for that event is estimated at 10 lakhs. I find this a futile exercise, with so much of money how many orphans would have got education, health benefits etc. This is also a form of Bhakthi, I personally feel. Temples are important but we still find HIM in us right. Why then waste the resources like money, time, etc? The same thing could have been donated to some orphange or for medical facilities for poor people. This kind of celebration is called Bhakthi by many of us. What do you say mama & mami? Am I wrong in thinking like this? Some say it is blasphemy.........

The verse Coralux has quoted is my favourite in Gita
    Here I need to tell you of a small incident. You all know that I am in JFS, I had some trying times here. Whenever I used to give advice or tell my opinion it used to always boomrang on me. Though what I would have said would have been sensible and in the better interest of the person concerned. I felt very low and depressed, at that time my Guru came from Delhi and visited us....... I told him my problem, he said to me. First sit calmly and just think of your problem and open the Gita book, when you open it whatever verse comes will have solution to the problem. As said by him I opened the Gita and lo this verse was there. I read the same and the meaning and tears flowed down........ I went back to him and told him this....... He just smiled and said.......love everybody and don't expect return from them. HE is always there and he will certainly come to accept whatever you offer with LOVE. This is how my journey on Love has started ..........

Sorry for such a long fb and boring you people.

5. Cheeniya

Dear Corallux
    When the famous Brahadeeswara Temple constructed by Raja Raja Chola was nearing completion, the whole project came to a stand still for want of a single granite block of about 40 tons to complete the sanctum sanctorum. Raja Raja sent his men far and wide to look for such a stone but it could be found nowhere. The heart broken Raja was totally at a loss and one night, the Lord appeared in his dream and showed him whence the stone could be picked up. The overjoyed King hastened to that place and found it being used by an old lady as a stepping stone to get into her hut. Her job was to provide water to the workers toiling at the construction of the Temple! The Lord chose a stepping stone of a poor old lady as the crowning stone of His Temple!

The ostentatious Havans and Poojas are completely ignored by the Lord if they are not backed by true Bhakthi. We all know what happened to Daksha who performed the greatest Yagna of all times with utter contempt for Lord Shiva. Purity of heart and righteousness of conduct are the two wings that take a Bhakta to the Divine Presence. The ritualistic manifestations of Bhakthi may indeed take us away from Him if they lack Bhakthi.
    Sri

6. Chitvish

Dear Lux,
    Thanks for the prompt FB.
    Now, bhakti is more advertised than ever before. If a politician visits a temple, the entire area around gets a "face-lift" and next day it comes in the papers. We have seen that happen at the famous Thirunallar Temple for Sanishwaran.Recently it was the turn of our ex chief minister. It just makes a mockery of bhakti, is my frank opinion!
    The reason is this. Passions discolour our actions and disfigure the final results.It is the vasanas present in us, which urge us to do all these - call them pomp and show.
    Let me give you an example. A criminal mind becomes a prefessional murderer with each added man-slaughter, while an army officer, though he has killed many, never becomes a murderer. He, in the battle, killed not for his own ego and ego-satoisfaction, but in the defence of his country.
    Examples can be multiplied. It is a fact that an act in itself cannot leave any impression upon us - but selfish acts, prompted by personal desire-gratifications, do generate vasana encrustations.
    Kshamapana should come from the heart and not just in verses from the mouth!
    That is where the verse, I wrote to you, becomes relevant!!
    Love,
    Chithra.

7. Cheeniya

Dear Lalitha
    What a big and pleasant surprise to see you attending a Gita class here!
    You are absolutely right about spending money on Poojas and Yagnas in a country where millions could benefit from the money spent on these poojas.. We have also heard of intense feuds between different families particularly in villages on the vexatious question of who should offer the first pooja. There have been a number of murders committed to safeguard this right to perform the first pooja. By no stretch of imagination, these can be called acts of Bhakthi,

Let us look at what the Little Sisters of the Poor founded by Mother Teresa do for the poor people. Suct acts of Charity have earned Mother Teresa a place in history and she now stands canonised as a Saint. I remember the famous words of the former Chief Minister of Tamilnadu, the late Shri CN Annathurai who declared that 'God can be found only in the smile of the poor'. Annathurai was a sworn atheist but his concern for the poor really set him apart as a good human being.

You have made me think further on this subject, Lalitha
    Sri

8. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear Chithra,
    First of all, your introduction to Bhakthi (last week's post) gave a good insight to this topic.After reading that post, this very topic of how Bhakthi is important rather than mere " I" and Egoistic characters of a man is very understandable.

Actions we perform, triggered by vasanas are responsible for the karma.Keeping the ego at bay and performing actions without any personal desire brings in inner joy and good deeds.

A vast topic, but points in nutshell.Thanks a lot Chithra.

9. Chitvish

Dear Lali,
    I am very happy that one more person is getting drawn to Gita posts.
    You write
    Mami your write up is great no doubt but by Sri sir adding his side has brought it out very well. I know you are telling me that everybody is telling the same ......... what is new in it but LS telling this is new here that's the reason. OK don't get angry now........and Witsend
    Please, do not worry about my reaction, Lali. If you write down the list of the fans for his writing, mine will top the list.After every Gita post, believe me, I wait for him to post & rush to read it. His examples are very relevant and he drives his point so beautifully.

Bhakti is not in celebration, not at all. It is one's heart & nobody need know about it.
    Most people say prayers mechanically. We lead such a robotic life that there is more mechanical tendency and sadly, the true religious quality gets eroded.I am sure, you know the example Swami Sukhabodananda quotes about the Bishop, Oh God & Hallelujah!! That story reveals that even the expression "Oh God" uttered mechanically is not going to help you.

In spiritual and religious life, the quality of awareness must be deep, be it a prayer or worship, one does.This is he essential teaching conveyed by Karma Yoga.
    We both will be happy, if you stay tuned, Lali!
    Love,
    Chithra.

10. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear Sri,
    Thanks for bringing out the beautiful words by Rajaji. Yes, I don’t miss these words each time i listen to Bhaja Govindam. Indeed Rajaji has captured the entire essence of how we must be dedicated to god in the form of bhakthi. The entire song deals with this as well.
    Your example of the man walking on water for mere self portrayal is best suited to this topic. Living a mundane life and leading the glorified path of Bhakthi is a great deal and needs total dedication and will power.
    The famous story on the test conducted to prove that a poor farmer was better than Naradha in terms of Bhakthi is a classic example to this very chapter of Gita.

Very lucid and well written.
    Thanks Sri.