Why do we light a lamp ?

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear MK,
    Thanks.
    My DIL was unwell, when this thread was posted 2 yrs back. She is now fine, special thanks for the enquiry.
    It is traditional that the lady of the house lights the lamp because we refer to a woman as Grahalakshmi! Any other family member can do it.
    For deepavali, light one lamp atleast with oil & wick in Puja room. All over the house you can decorate with modern lamps. It is all the more appreciative when you want to help a good cause.
    Your lamps look lovely set against a background of grains!

2. laasyaa

laasyaa Junior IL'ite

Re: deepa slokam..

sowmya its wonderful. thanks for sharing with us.

3. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

Re: deepa slokam..

Chithra Madam

Thank you for explaining the divinity of lighting a lamp and how it helps us....My father would never go out of the house, without lighting a lamp in the morning. he used to mix different kinds of oils (5 diff types ) and use that oil for lighting the lamps..daily morning prayer is a ritual at my parents place. After I got married..I do the prayers in the evening...I light lamp and do a small prayer atelast every dayin the evening or elseI feel as If I am missing something that day...

Recently I read some where about the importance of different kinds of oils in lighting a lamp and what kind of positive energy they spread if we see the lighting lamp during our prayer...

Loved to see the silver floating lamps...would love to buy a pair of them for this diwali. Already did a search and found them online...thank you for the pictures....

4. Rajinikasturi

Rajinikasturi New IL'ite

Hi Chitra ma'am,

Recently I saw a product called "Astha Mulika Thailam" - oil infused with 8 different herbs.
    I was told lighting lamps with this would be prosperous for the home.
    Can you please share your thoughts on this

Regards
    Rajini.

5. anitasr

anitasr New IL'ite

hi i am new to IL ,thanks its really more informative

6. Chitvish

I believe in using gingelly oil & ghee. I never believe in going in for the commercial oils, now available in plenty!
    Love,
    Chithra.

7. pari_arun69

pari_arun69 Bronze IL'ite

dear madam superb explation.can u tell how to do karthika deepam.i am lighting lamp in evening during karthikai masam.otherwise also i light lamp in morning in puja room in front of god and it burns throght the day is it good.and my is facing outside i.e., back god pictures and in front kamashi amman lamp is that correct.is kathikai deepam on dec 1 this year.sorry for asking so many questions.please explain.thanking u.:bowdown

8. Chitvish

Dear Pari, please do not worry about the nitty-gritty details.Light the lamp with devotion & pray with concentration. Directon, time etc are all secondary!
    Karthikai is on 1 st Dec.
    Love,
    chithra

9. pari_arun69

pari_arun69 Bronze IL'ite

thank u very much madam

10. singingbird

singingbird Bronze IL'ite

you have enlightened all by posting this ..THAMASSO MAA JYOTHIR GAMAYA.... Thank you...