Towards nullification of assets and liabilities - Bhagavad Gita Verse 2.50

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, May 8, 2008.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

In this verse the Lord contrasts the opposing characteristics of Yoga and karma (action).
    Yoga is pulling the arrow back;
    Karma is shooting the arrow forward.

Does the equilibrium of mind add to its efficiency? Here the answer comes:

BuddhiyukthO jahaatheeha, ubhae sukrtha dushkrtae
    ThasmaadyOgaaya yujyasva, yoga: karmasu kaus(h)alam - 2.50

Endowed with this attitude, one gets rid of both good and evil results here (itself). Therefore get ready for Yoga. Skill in action is Yoga.

In this verse, Krishna explains that punyam is also an obstacle to a karma yogi, like papam. He wants to stress that karma yoga should be used as a stepping stone to Self-Knowledge (Jnana yoga) and not for material benefit. Karma Yoga should promote purity and steadfastness of one's mind which is necessary to gain Self-Knowledge.
    Work performed with motive towards fruits tends to bind a man, more and more. To enjoy such fruits, the man will have to take birth in this mortal world again and again. If work is performed with evenness of mind (the Yoga of wisdom, i.e., united to pure Buddhi, intelligence or reason) with the mind resting in the Lord, it will not bind him; it will not bring any fruit, it is no work at all. Actions which are of a binding nature lose that nature when performed with equanimity of mind – it becomes a dedication to the Lord and adds to the efficiency.
    This principle applies to all activities of life. It is Yoga to maintain equilibrium in the midst of all of them. Our best efficiency springs forth only when we are poised. Attachment and aversion take away the efficiency of the man.
    Bhishma was on the side of the wicked, but was not tainted by his action because of his complete detachment.
    An ascetic gained by austerity is not superior to a butcher who discharges his seemingly ugly duty without aversion.
    So, we see that Yoga (work done to perfection) comes to one free from likes and dislikes, attachment and aversion. The benefit is that no new karma accrues to his credit. The momentum of 0ld karma wanes away. He becomes a master of his own mind.
    The following parable by Swami Vivekananda explains Yoga thus:
    A yogi seated in a Himalayan Cave allows his mind to wander on unwanted things.
    A cobbler in a corner at the crossing of several busy roads of a city, is absorbed in mending a shoe, as an act of service.
    Of these two, the latter is a better yogi than the former.

Love,
    Chithra.

sindmani likes this.

2. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Chithra
    Your titles ar e always a mystery.. this one..I thought I went to the wrong forum.. So nicely you start the first line.. Yoga is pulling the arrow back and Karma is shooting the arrow forward. Isnt it surprising to hear so many things being told about Yoga and actions. You have explained the importance of performing actions with evenness of mind. It is not an understatement at all. I had not heard about Bhisma before. So he was not tainted by hs action because of his complete detachment. The parable is very good.Thank you for taking the time and effort to write these great explanations. Its my experience that it makes perfect sense to read but to implement in day to day life is very tough. I get caught up with whatever I am doing and sometimes very difficult to step back and remain detatched. However I am trying and your thread are helping. Thank You.

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  3. corallux

corallux Bronze IL'ite

Dear Chithraji,

Gita proclaimed a long time ago what the west is now waking up to: FOCUS on your actions/job.

A simple example can be got in the work place environment where instead of concentrating on a job, mind wanders to 10 different problems & in the process, you are forced to stay back late to do something that could have been done in an hour.

Sums up a popular English saying "You cannot chase two rabbits at a time"

This is something I really needed as I am now at crossroads of my life.

Thanks a million for your teachings on the Gita. It helps answer a lot of question in life.

Regards,

Corallux

4. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Chithra

“Yoga is pulling the arrow backwards and Karma is shooting it forward” is indeed a profound statement. Let us look at it from a skilled archer’s point of view. When he eyes an object to be shot, he takes aim. He calculates the distance of his target and measures the impact required at the point of contact. He then estimates the velocity at which his arrow must travel towards his target. He fixes his arrow on the string of the bow and pulls it back to such an extent as to take care of all these parameters so that he is able to hit his target without fail.

Thus we see that pulling the arrow back is the step that ensures correct performance of the archer’s karma. Yoga is all about the power that backs up action or Karma. In an attitude of Yoga, the performance of Karma is given proper direction.

The balance sheet of Karma is unlike the balance sheet of a business entity. In the latter, our motive being profit, we strive to keep our expenses to the minimum while exploring the avenues for generating additional income. We are happy when the income far exceeds our expenses because it ensures our material prosperity. But the manner in which the business of Karma is conducted is totally different. Here the punyam that we earn through our actions is not set off against our paapam or sins. The fruits of both paapam and punyam will have to be experienced by us simultaneously. We must remember that one does not cancel the other.

If a single bath in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place>Ganga</st1:place> or a visit to a Holy Shrine can wash all our past sins, then there will be no suffering in the world. The ‘prarabdha Karma’ can only be expended by undergoing its malefic effects in our subsequent births. The liberation from the cycle of birth and death which Adi Sankara eloquently puts as ‘Punarapi Jananam , Punarapi Maranam’ can take place only when both our paapams and punyams are nullified totally. Here a question may arise about the need to earn Punyam when it is not set off against our Paapams which have to be expended only by undergoing all the sufferings in our subsequent births. The further question will be about the need to do good when even the Punyam thus earned will delay our release from the cycle of birth and death.

First of all it must be understood that the moment we are born, it is only to expend our balances of the Paapams and Punyams. Paapams are expended through our corporeal and mental sufferings. As we expend them, the desire to be good prevents all sin-related thoughts from entering us which in turn ensures against any further accumulation of sins. While an ordinary mortal looks upon Punyam as a vehicle to Moksham, a highly evolved person knows that even Punyam is a burden that binds him to his corporeal existence. It is here that Karmayoga is most relevant. A yogic attitude in the performance of our Karma is the stepping stone for our Ultimate Salvation.
    Sri

5. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Chithra,

Another Gita verse well explained by you. Like Ac said, the first sentence itself was impressive showing the subtle difference of Yoga and Karma.

As far as I am concerned, your words are pulling back my vagrant mind to righteous forward path!<<< Well, it sounded good! Wish it was just as easy to pull the mind to an equilibrium so that the fruits of actions did not matter anymore. But then, I take consolation in your advice to my previous doubts that we may not be able to put into action what we read, but a certain awakening in the mind is sure to help us when we feel lost and desolate.

A lot of guidance is available in just trying to understand the Karmayoga.
    Swami Vivekananda's lines were very enlightening indeed. How true, we have to do the job in hand to our fullest efficiency and also, there is no work which is too menial.
    BTW, where is our Cheeniyaji today? Looking forward to his auxiliary post on the subject.

L, Kamla

6. Ammukutty

Ammukutty Bronze IL'ite

Dear Chitra Mam,
    Thanks for enlightening in this verse .Maintaining equilibrium of the mind helps one to leave the punya & papa in this birth itself.Thus the balance sheet of life is nullified & one attains the state of immortal bliss.The experiences we pass through in life is meant to fine tune our mind.One should neither sink like a ship during adversities nor rise like a wave when overjoyed.Krishna retaliates to Arjuna that one has no authority to expect the fruits of his action & at the same time never back-off from doing karma.In short action performed with discrimination,detachment & tranquility helps in attaining yoga.They get released from the cycle of birth & re-birth &attains liberation.
    May his divine grace lead us in understanding this truth further !

love,
    ammu

7. Ammukutty

Ammukutty Bronze IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya Sir,
    If Chitra Mam's spiritual thread is a tonic to mind then your analysis on the same is like a fortified tonic.Comparing Karma & Yoga to an archer & his action helped to have a better perspective on the subject.How true that the balance sheet of business & Karma are different.It is said that nature records all our actions which results in Sanchita Karma of this birth & Prarabdha Karma of the next birth.When the meter reading of Prarabdha shows zero the soul leaves the body.This continues as cycle of birth & re-birth.A true Karma Yogi is the one who attains liberation from this cycle.Thanks for enlightening further on this post.

May his grace always guide us!

regards,
    ammu

8. Cheeniya

Dear Ammu
    The clarity with which you are able to dwell on this intricate subject is quite heartening indeed. I have no doubt that with such a clear perspective you'll have a very smooth travel through your life and you will bring nothing but pure joy to those who come to be associated with you.
    Most people think that an act of atonement would nullify the malefic effects of our sins. This in turn gives them the impudence to commit more sins. Our religion is very clear on this subject. There is no escape from the effects of the misdeeds of our past. This is fundamentally different from other beliefs. We can not go on committing sins on one side and indulge in acts of charity on the other. Both do not cancel each other. Of course what is sinning is a highly subjective issue. I do not want to indulge in a discussion about it here.
    May God bless you with the courage and resources to conduct your life according to your perception of good and bad.
    Sri

9. corallux

corallux Bronze IL'ite

Dear Cheeniyaji,

Your beautiful post has explained in a nutshell what the Baba Of Shirdi preached. Never ever think of what you can gain from an act of yours. Whatever you do, offer it to God.

Nowadays we see a lot of charity done. Question arises what amount is done as charity? It is mostly for publicity. This is where the concept of "Gupt Daan" preached & practised by our elders come into the picture.

I agree with Shri Adi Shankaracharyaji's saying punarapi jananam, punarapi maranam, punarapi janani jathre shayanam. In fact that is why my parents told me after every pooja/havan , the priest says "Shri Narayanyerti Samarpayami". It is to tell us, we have no rights of what the merits the pooja will get us. The holy ritual was done on his (God's) bidding.

As for prarabdha Karma, Baba says, till the balance sheet is tallied, there is no escape from the cycle of birth & death. We meet people, actions take place because of prarabdha Karma. What science calls today as Deja Vu.

I agree with you when you say just by bathing in the Ganga, the soul will not be cleansed. Unfortunately, the layman is mislead to think performing a pooja/pilgrimage will get him punya.

Hence the best way (In Kaliyug) is to do a simple Naamsmaran of your fav deity/Guru. That is done out of love. No debit no credit.

Regards,

Corallux

10. Cheeniya

Dear Corralux
    A beatiful FB. I am beholden to you for taking this topic to further introspection..
    Shirdi Baba is my motivator. If I write anything good and useful, it is His Divine Grace. Who can nurture noble thoughts without Baba's Grace?

Gupt Dhaan is supposed to be the highest form of Charity..That highest epitome of charity, Karna was a great example of Gupt Dhaan. It is said that even his left hand would not know what his right hand was giving! The charity that is given with a lot of publicity and fanfare is no charity at all but then I consider that a charity as long as it goes to meet a deserving cause is charity even if the giver does it with an ulterior motive.

'Narayanayeti Samarpayami' are not mere words which are uttered as a formality at the end of a Pooja. The essence of it should pervade through all our thoughts and actions. A holy bath or a pilgrimage will be in vain if we do not align our lives to the Path of Dharma. Otherwise, it is just a waste of time and money. Mere Namasmaranam in the quietitude of our homes is far superior to expensive pilgrimages.
    Sri