The Tranquillity of the Resolute Mind - Bhagavad Gita verses 2.41 – 2.44

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

In the verse 2.41, Krishna talks about one’s understanding with reference to the clarity of the end in view. He also introduces the technique for its accomplishment.

Vyavasaayaathmikaa buddhi: aekaeha kurunandana
    Bahus(h)akhaa hyananthaas(h)cha, buddhayO(a)vyavasaayinaam 2.41

Oh, Arjuna! In this field, the resolute mind is one-pointed. However, the minds of the irresolute ones are many-branched and endless.

In this verse, the characteristics of the irresolute mind are emphasised. This is significant. Man, victimised by his ego, entertains hundreds of desires which are often self-contradictory. His potentialities are exhausted, as also his mental strength. So a single pointed mind is necessary to act consistently towards success.

The only goal should be moksha (liberation) or freedom from a sense of limitation, in the form of knowledge. This freedom cannot be outside me, but must be centred on myself alone. So, my only aim is to have the knowledge that I am free. This knowledge is called jnana. So karma yoga is the first stepping stone to jnana yoga which ultimately gives liberation.

In the next 3 verses, Krishna explains the conditions under which the mind continues to remain irresolute.

Yaamimaam pushpithaam vaacham, pravadanthyavipas(h)chitha:
    Vaedavaadarathaa: paartha, naanyadastheethi vaadina: 2.42

Kaamaathmaana: svargaparaa: janmakarmaphalapradaam
    Kriyaavisaeshabahulaam bhOgais(h)varyagathim prathi 2.43

BhOgais(h)varyaprasakthaanaam, thayaapahruthachaethasaam
    Vyavasaayaathmilkaa buddhi:, samaadhau na vidheeyathae 2.44

Oh, Arjuna, the unintelligent ones who are enamoured of vedic statements (of the ritualistic portion) , who are votaries of heaven (svargaparaa: )who always argue that there is nothing else and who are full of desires speak such flowery words which are full of specific rites for attaining pleasure and power and which lead to further births, the result of actions. Firm knowledge does not take place in the mind of those people who are attached to pleasure and power and whose minds are carried away by such words.

At the time of Mahabharatha, vedic Karma kanda was very much practised by those who were deeply attached to power and pleasure. In these three stanzas, we find a daring criticism of ritualistic practices which had little or no spirituality, but only pomp and show. In all these practices, man’s inner personality had no chance to evolve higher and Vyasa condemns them as impotent methods of religion!

The above three verses conclude with the declaration that such people, tossed about by sensory desires, shall never discover any experience of tranquillity in their inner life.

Love,
    Chithra.

Similar Threads
    1. Hema80
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Balajee
      Replies:
      Views:
  2. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

The title is little daunting.. adding tranquil and resolute in the same line.. even to achieve one is taking a lifetime!
    One of the factors I like about your posts.. is you give me an opening or hope that Krishna says how to achieve it. So there atleast seems a remote possibility.
    The only goal should be moksha. I understand krishna here says there should be only one goal for man and that to be achieved thru him.. using knowledge..what use is knowledge if one does not use it to achieve this goal? So karma yoga is the first stepping stone to jnana yoga!
    It is interesting to read the meaning of the verses..when the mind is swayed by desires then the calmness is lost. Then the knowledge is wasted. purpose is lost sight of. goal is lost . Tranquility is lost.So you tie up everything very neatly with your lines. The need to be resolute in your mind to achieve the goal. Tranquility is also then achieved. Thanks for writing.Chithra.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  3. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Chithra
    An irresolute mind is like a cart pulled by a set of horses in different directions. The cart itself doesn’t move an inch from its place while all the horses exert themselves to the maximum extent. This particular stanza portrays a man’s mind torn between conflicting issues so beautifully.

What is ‘jnana’? Rudolf Otto, an eminent German Theologian and scholar of comparative religions summarises jnana as follows:
    Jnana is eternal, is general, is necessary and is not a personal knowledge of this or that. It is there, embedded as knowledge in the Atman itself, and lies there hidden under all avidya.(ignorance).

How does karma yoga lead us to jnana yoga? The moment we are liberated from the action as the doer, we move on to a higher plane. As long as we remain tied to our actions as the doer, we are bound to get tied to the cause and effects of our actions. ‘Sarvam Krishnarpanamasthu’ is what is advocated strongly because it takes our minds off the feeling of doer and everything is attributed to Him. He is the bow and we are the arrow.

We all go to <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City><st1:place>Temple</st1:place></st1:City> and pray not for salvation but for material advancement. We perform our religious Karmas because we want success in our worldly undertakings.
    Gita reminds us that men of small understanding pray only for what is transient and perishable. The Lord says “The worshippers of devas will go to the devas. Those who worship Me(Paramathma) will come to Me”

Honestly how many of us go to <st1:City><st1:place>Temple</st1:place></st1:City> for
    “Asatho ma sath gamaya.
    Tamaso ma jyothir gamaya
    Mrityor ma amritham gamaya” ?
    This is what He means by ‘Those who worship devas will go to devas”

There is a well known story to explain what happens when we get too attached to the fruits of our Karma. A poor farmer prayed to Lord Ganesa for prosperity. The Lord came in his dream and told him to perform Abhishekam for His idol under the tree with a thousand pots of water from the nearby river. Next morning, the farmer started his task singing the praise of the Lord. When he completed 900 pots, he was exhausted and started getting suspicious if he would get whatever he prayed for. At 990, he was at the height of irritation that there was yet no trace of his getting anywhere near prosperity! He completed 999 and yet there was not even any inkling of any miracle happening. He filled the 1000<SUP>th</SUP> pot and broke it in front of the Lord in sheer disgust. The Lord appeared before him and chided him for his skepticism and the man was left to wallow in poverty for the rest of his life. This is what happens when Karma is performed in anticipation of something.

Lastly, I shall conclude with the prayer of the famous Sufi poetess Rabi’a:

God, if I worship Thee in fear of hell
    Burn me in hell.
    If I worship Thee in the hope of <st1:place>Paradise</st1:place>
    Exclude me from <st1:place>Paradise</st1:place>.
    But if I worship Thee for Thine own sake
    Withhold not Thine everlasting Beauty.
    Sri

4. Chitvish

Dear AC,
    Thanks for the promptness, as usual !
    Verse 41 only shows that when we perform actions with endless desires for results, our inner personality gets disintegrated and our many-pronged mind ( Sri has used an apt term - a cart pulled by a set of horses in different directions) , we cannot apply ourselves to any line of action and our endeavours end in disastrous failures.
    Vyasa, in the words of Krishna, boldly declares that such persons tossed by their desires will never discover any experience of tranquility in their entire life !

5. Chitvish

Dear Sri,
    Your complementing (more beautifully than) my leader post only proves that my determination to make the ILites understand these abstract verses easily, is blessed by the Lord himself.
    I now realise that as a student of vedanta for the past few years, I am not able to explain so nicely like you.I seem to be using the same terms.Your examples are very good & very apt and facilitates the understanding without any ambiguity.
    Your example reminds me of the following:
    அரச மரத்தைச் சுற்றிவிட்டு உடனே அடிவயிற்றைத் தொட்டுப் பார்த்தாளாம் !

So, with verses 41-44, Krishna has concluded with the declaration that such persons tossed by their desires shall never discover any experience of tranquility in their inner life !
    The myth that there is nothing beyond the field of vedic(ritualistic) action has to be broken.
    I cannot thank you, enough, Sri.
    Love,
    Chithra.

6. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear Chithra,
    The verses from Gita and the very topic was simply refreshing to read and articulate. I absolutely agree that man's mind is filled with desires and irresolute and we keep asking Lord for more and more. We seldom realize that we are just actors on the stage, as Shakespeare had quoted. Heightened desires on achieving materialistic things, makes us more greedy and rich, but no where near god or salvation.
    This post on Gita delivers a very intense sense of maintaining a resolute mind.
    Thanks for this very rejuvenating post.

7. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear Sri,

First of all, Thanks a ton for making layman like me understand what chithra has conveyed through Gita verses more simple and understandable.

Your example of horses was very apt and it does happen to every one. Our minds are so pre - occupied even before stepping the temple as to what to ask to God this evening! We don’t even think " sarve jana sukino.." leave out the Asathoma...We are so self centered and greedy that , we pray for our good health/wealth etc.

Once again, Sri, Thanks for this lucid explanation. Let me be on the right track to at least try achieve an irresolute mind.

8. Chitvish

Dear Aishu,
    For a very young girl, your understanding makes me happy !
    We must be very clear that the elaborate rituals of the Karma Kanda (not Karma Yoga) must prepare our mind to single-pointedness when they are pursued without specific desires (nishkama) and such a prepared mind is fit for vedanta - the steady contemplation on the Upanishadic declarations.
    Love,
    Chithra.

9. vidhi

vidhi Senior IL'ite

Dear Chith

Indecisive minds always brings trouble. I liked the title. A person who seeks and enjoys only power and pleasure cannot have a firm mind. It is always likely to wander here and there. And what is the elaborate rituals that is mentioned in the karma kanda? What is it about?

Love
    Vidhi

10. vidhi

vidhi Senior IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya Sir

Your posts always helps me to understand the Chith's post better. With the story and the example it clearly explains that we all are always seeking for worldly pleasures. That selfishness is there in every one of us. The prayer of Sufi poet Rabia is really powerful. Everytime I read it amazes me with its strength and calmness.

regards
    Vidhi