Karthikai Deepam

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

On the full moon day of the tamil month of Karthikai, the Hindus celebrate the karthikai Deepam. On this day, there is special celebration at Thiruvannamalai in South India. Lord Arunachaleshwara is the presiding deity here. Of the five holy shrines of Lord Shiva, the 'Pancha bootha kshetram', Thiruvannamalai is the 'Jyothi Kshetram' where the Lord is personified as the divine light combined with brightness and wisdom. Arunachala Hill is the place that represents the fire element and the Lord is Tejo Lingam here.

When the huge beacon is lit on the holy hill on the Karthigai Deepam day, people worship it, loudly chanting “Harohara". The esoteric meaning is that one who sees the light of lights that is burning eternally in his heart through constant meditation, attains immortality. The light on the Arunachala brings the message to you that Lord Shiva is self-effulgent and is the light of lights. The lighting of the Maha Deepam will take place simultaneously with "Deeparadhanam" to the five deities in the temple at the foot of the hill.

There is another legend as well. Lord Murugan is also called Karthikeya. Lord Muruga took the form of six babies in a lake called "Saravana Poigai". On this day, Parvathi (his mother) united all his six forms and so Lord Muruga has six faces. Special pujas are performed to Lord Muruga.

தாமரையில் பூத்து வந்த தங்கமுகம் ஒன்று

தண்ணிலவின் சாறெடுத்து வார்த்தமுகம் ஒன்று

பால்மணமும் பூமுகமும் படிந்தமுகம் ஒன்று

பாவலர்க்குப் பாடம்தரும் பளிங்குமுகம் ஒன்று

வேல்வடிவில் கண்ணிரண்டும் விளங்குமுகம் ஒன்று

வெள்ளிரதம் போலவரும் பிள்ளைமுகம் ஒன்று !

On that day, in South India, people place rows of earthern lamps in front of their houses in the evening and worship the Lord. Bonfires are made in front of the temples in the evenings. It is said that Lord Shiva burnt the chariots of several demons who were torturing sages. This bonfire symbolises this legend.

Eradicate the three impurities, namely, egoism, selfishness and delusion. Burn the mind, senses and desires in the fire of knowledge of the knowledge of Shiva. Attain full illumination and behold the light of lights, which illumines the mind and the intellect.
    This is real Karthikai Deepam.

Love & regards,
    Chithra.

Attached Files:

11 people like this.

2. vmur

vmur Silver IL'ite

Dear ChitVish,
    That was a very delightful narration of the significance of Karthikai Deepam. The picture is very apt for the topic. The writeup has lit up a spark in my heart and mind just like the Deepam.

Great Job as always,
    Regards
    Vidya

3. Priya Amarnath

Priya Amarnath Bronze IL'ite

nice

My dear Chithra

Your write up abt the significance of Karthikai Deepam was very nice. The photo also looks delightful with a nice Kolam. Thanks for sharing another intersting topic with us.

Love and regards
    Priya

4. Chitvish

My dear, dear Vidya !

What more can I ask for, than a prompt F B within a few mts of posting?
    My labour of writing a topic, putting my best efforts, looks miniscule when compared to the love you all give me !
    Thankyou, dear Vidya !
    Happy Karthikai !
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

5. Chitvish

My sweet priyamana Priye !

You are always prompt " to the dot" in my forums ! I cannot thank you enough, Priya !
    Happy Karthikai !
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

6. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Another timely narative.

Dear Ms C,

What a pleasant sight to behold. The kolam and the deepams are so beautiful together. Yes i am in the process of getting ready for karthigai. have to go buy pori for the urundai .

Vandhana

7. Chitvish

Vandhana, my dear young friend !

Since the topic of last week was "heavy" with Bhakti, I wanted to have a light, breezy topic today !
    I realise that to keep you all hooked to the culture thread, I need more thinking than writing !!
    Happy Karthikai !
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

8. meenu

meenu Bronze IL'ite

delightful

Dear Chith,
    The post on Deepam is very simple and soothing.It is a right reminder on the eve of karthigai.I noticed that the murugan temples are celebrating this in grand manner. I did not know this aspect of karthigai.
    Thank you for lighting our hearts with a beautiful photograph.
    regards,
    Meenu

9. Laxmi

Laxmi Administrator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Wonderful treat for eyes and mind

Hello Chithra

That was a wonderful write up about karthikai deepam, sure was treat to both the mind and the eyes.:clap

BTW when do you start lighting the house with deepams from Bharani nakshatram onwards?
    What are the three dates for Karthikai deepam this year?
    Thanks in advance for your reply.

10. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

hi chitra

the write up on karithigai was wonderful so was the kolam. there is a anexihibition of lamps in poompuhar. have bought some from there. they say u must buy atleast 2 lamps every year.we make appam as well for karthigai. happy karthigai.our festivals are really great they bring community haramony. yours kanaka:wave:wave