1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The good things that come to an End!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

All Good Things
    Alas, that Spring should vanish with the Rose
    That Youth's sweet-scented Manuscript should close!
    The Nightingale that in the Branches sang,
    Ah, whence, and whither flown again, who knows!

Thus sang Omar Khayyam and we too echo the same sentiment in more prosaic words like ‘all good things must come to an end’! We say this at the closure of a game of cards on a lazy Sunday afternoon when all the beer that we consume clouds our vision and makes it difficult for us to differentiate the clover from the spade. We say this after a big stag party while the wife is away but is very much expected back on the following morn! We say it at the end of a long vacation prior to burning the mid night oil to wrap up the kids’ books and notebooks with brown paper.

But can you see where do we stand in comparison to the great poet? The difference between the profundity of the fleeting things that he laments over and the minor pleasures of life that we mournfully bid farewell to shows us in such a contemptuous light! When we talk of good things, we merely have in mind the boisterous parties, vain get-togethers and such colossal time-busters! Good things have no commonality of perspective. What I perceive as a good thing may be a bad thing from your point of view. If you ask Lord Emsworth of Blandings about what he would consider as a good thing, he will have no hesitation in pointing out to his frequent visits to his farm to have a private audience with his massive pig Empress as the best moments of his life. For other lesser mortals, spending time with Empress of Blandings would be a colossal waste of time.

What are the good things that we really feel sad bidding farewell to? It is indeed a matter of great debate. I have heard several yardsticks being mentioned to evaluate a person’s character. Tell me who your friends are, I’ll tell you what you are. Tell me the kind of jokes that a person takes offence at and I’ll tell you what kind of a person he is. The list is really endless and now we can possibly add this too to the list. Tell me what your good things are that make you feel sad when they come to an end and I’ll tell you what you are! Obviously a person who is going to miss Visakha Hari’s discourses when they come to an end will not be the same as the one who is going to feel miserable after the IPL tournament gets over! But then, this statement ‘All good things must come to an end’ is itself a great riddle. Seriously, good things must be able to stand the test of Time. A thing is as good as its durability. Or putting it differently, anything that has a tendency to end can never be a good thing.

During our journey through life, different things appear good at different stages. Nothing appears to be a thing of joy at all stages of our life. Not only good things but everything comes to an end at every stage. It can mean only one thing. Nothing that ends can be either a good thing or a bad thing. As long as we are alive, life is the only thing that has a look of permanency about it. That is to say, until death puts a stop to it. That is the only good thing that can come to an end. There was a song of Nelly Furtado, the famous Canadian singer and song writer whose song ‘All good things must come to an end’ ends with the following lines:

And the sun was wondering if it should stay away for a day
    Till the feeling went away
    And the sky was falling and the clouds were dropping
    And the rainfall forgot how to bring salvation
    The dogs were barking at the new moon
    Whistling a new tune hoping it would come soon
    So that they could die!

These lines are far too profound for a pop song! They celebrate life. They tell us that life, with all its joys and sorrows, is the greatest thing. That is the only thing that can come to end. Ironically, when the end comes, we will not be there to say ‘All good things must come to an end!’

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
    4 people like this.

2. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Dear Sri Uncle

Firstly a belated Tamizh Putthandu Vaazhthhukkal to you!

Nice reading. I am not sure what to say here. Yes, every (good or bad) experience must come to an end or else we would never appreciate the meaning and lessons learned from it. We would never look forward to or not wish for another such experience again, if it never ended. Happy feeling ends the day it extends beyond its time and starts giving us indigestion. Its this mixture of good and not so good which is offered to us, that makes life interesting.

PS: My good time (surfing and reading posts on IL) has just come to an end and here comes the not so good time, because I need to now go and prepare dinner for everyone :rant. One of my minor pleasures of life (surfing and not cooking).

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  3. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cheeniya sir,
    Another masterpiece from you.
    What are good things? It is a relative term and your referance of " Vishaka hari" Takes the cake.
    If we talk about "OUR" perceptions of good,I want to draw your attention to this point If you were born into a world where everything was white, would you know what white was?

Everything needs contrast; white needs that which is not white in order to be white, hot needs cold, pleasure needs that which is not, and good needs that which isn't good. It's this relativity that provides the necessary dynamics for things to register upon us.

If you continue to do something you like, eventually your perception of pleasure will diminish as it becomes the single stimuli that registers upon you, but if you stop and do something completely different, and come back to it again later, you'll experience that pleasure again. Therefore, good things must come to an end in order to remain good.

But, in terms of good things existing in their own right, in a state of "goodness", I don't think they do come to an end. They remain constant.
    All good things come to an end because it allows you to explore new things that are good as well. Good things end so that you can learn to broaden your horizons and find out the things that you want or like. If one good thing never ended, then why would someone go and seek out other things? When one thing ends, something else begins. You are learning what things life has given you, and picking out which ones you need to have a happy life. Since there are millions of things that life has given you, it is impossible to find and try out every good thing that is meant for you, but it doesn't hurt to try.
    All good things don't come to an end.....all good things build your spirit and soul up to create more good things to appear in your life.

with love
    pad

sindmani likes this.
  4. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri:

"Wah, wah" is the first thing that came to my mind as I read these lines. The ultimate truth has been spoken.

I paused here to think good friend. You reminded me of Keats:

But you say:

I want to know. Can a beautiful face that you saw for a fleeting second ever end? Can it end even after you end? Can the sight of a sky overcast with dark monsoon clouds ever end? The beauty that you experienced must necessarily be immortal. The fact that it was you who perceived it in your mind at some stage of your life should not endow you with a personal right over it. Even if I have not seen it, it exists as you saw it for a moment. It cannot die. At least, I cannot see how a piece of beauty in the abstract, once created, can ever cease to exist. Even life, which is so beautiful, must continue till the rest of eternity. By life, I mean of course the wonders that you live through.

Ban photography!

How lovely. Profound, as you correctly say.

Is this what Keats had in mind too? I am wondering.

These lines reminded me of Franz Kafka (The Trial), speaking not about beauty, but the absurdity of existence:

(The italics are mine.)

I strongly believe that we continue to live after we cease to live. Our shame as well as our euphoria last forever and ever. No, life cannot end. It's mortal, but it is infinite all the same. I know I shall die, but I know also that my sorrows will last till the end of eternity.

Perhaps I don't make sense. Sanity was never my forte. But who wants to be sane in a world that is so shamelessly pretty?

Yet, I know, you are ultimately right. I have known it all along. Or else, why did I write this haiku?

Around 5 persons cared to comment. But that is no matter, as you have taught me. I will follow your advice too so long as my patience lasts. So far, the IL trash bin is not too uncomfortable an abode for me. Ah ha! Cry baby crying again. Actually, I am crying not about me. I am crying for some of you, in particular you. You have told me that I should feel happy that only the best in IL care to comment on my posts. This means, the rest of you should cry that most of your fb's come from non-best people.

In any case, after you have received your 56th comment, please do compare the silly haiku I wrote with the Khyyam piece you started out with. I am not Khyyam of course. That must have been why I was kicked out. They probably thought I was a plagiarist!

Love.

oj

Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Sri,
    both the starting and the ending with nelly's all good things come to an end made me wonder, you are becoming better than vintage sri.:bowdown:bowdown

IPL if it comes to an end, i will be the most happiest person. i cannot survive more of the power plays and favoritism that is waging a war in my family.:biglaugh:biglaugh, with me taking sides at times and trying to ACT neutral at times. i would not mind mss/visakha hari for that matter.

I read this as soon as you posted, not once but twice, first time as is and the second time to assimilate and chew on it.
    this is what happened.. all beginnings are from the end of a pas beginning..or all new beginnings are from the old ends...(so look at what you made me do.. deciphering which came first..the egg or the chicken..) all said I believe that there is nothing called End. maybe there could be a break, but no end. for every action, there will always be a reaction sometimes instant, and sometimes it is like the dominoes effect.

The sangu poo (butterfly pea)plant that was flowering so well started drying last week and I thought, well all good things come to an end. when i saw new plants in almost all the pots from the scattered seeds of its pods..telling me that there is always another beginning..whether i want to think about it as a continuation of the plant or a new life of the seed is a perspective solely mine.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  6. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

My dear Anna

I was wondering which good thing is coming to an end.

True every good thing has to come to an end and as K2S has said we wont know the importance of good. For me now my daughter and grand daughter are going to Dubai next month. I was in a world of happiness with them here since seven months that will come to an end till they come again. I will be missing my grandkid very much but that is life. They have to go back to their places.

The good things which we enjoyed during childhood ended when we became an adult. Still life goes on with the good things ending.

A write up which made me sit and think

Namaskarams
    viji

1 person likes this.
  7. Deaf woman

Deaf woman Senior IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya sir,
    What a wonderful explanation!!! Just before i logged in here to have a peep, my son was telling me "amma ,there are no good or bad people".Its all in our minds .For some ,drunkards are bad but for the drunkards ,either its a way of enjoying life's pleasures or to have a respite from their burdensome life.
    They tell us that life, with all its joys and sorrows, is the greatest thing. That is the only thing that can come to end. Ironically, when the end comes, we will not be there to say ‘All good things must come to an end!’
    How true.Even if we are not there to say it,I just wish and hope our family will do so.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2010
  8. Cheeniya

My dear k2s

Thanks a lot for your Tamizh Putthandu Vaazhthhukkal which I heartily reciprocate! New Year Greetings can be extended any time and it can never be 'belated'! I look upon every day as a new day and as a new life. The man made compartmentalization as weeks, months and years is only for convenience and it should never come in the way of our functioning.Let us start every day as if it is the start of a New Year with greater resolves, bigger plans and stronger hopes.

That was an excellent explanation for why every thing that begins must have an end! There is a saying attributed to Benjamin Franklin that fish and guests stink in three days. It corresponds to what you say that 'Happy feeling ends the day it extends beyond its time and starts giving us indigestion'. I fully agree with you there. I have nothing in favor of good or against anything bad. Both are merely two sides of the same coin. I merely say that all those things that give us joy must be perpetuated by some way. The problem is that we have no consistency there. What makes us happy today may become an irritant tomorrow because we keep changing our stance all the time!
    Sri

9. Cheeniya

Dear Dr.Padmini
    That FB of yours was truly amazing! It shows the great perspective you have on this issue!
    That question about everything being white is one that helps us to understand the kind of self motivation that made people like Helen Keller and Beethoven such celebrities. I have found that people who are born in a monochromatic or monotonous world develop special skills that normal people are deprived of.

I am in total agreement with you that contrast is essential to heighten our sensibility. But this is slightly outside the ambit of our discussion. You have made an interesting point there when you say that all good things come to an end because it allows you to explore new things that are good as well. You may have a point there but is it a prudent one? Don't we know that a bird in hand is worth two in the bush? Will anyone wish away his present happy state of existence to explore new avenues that may be, just may be, equally good? What is the guarantee there that it will be 'good as well'? If we have a good run now, won't you wish that it goes on and on? Generally only those who find that their life is getting more and more arduous would wish for a change. Boredom hardly makes a man in a high paid job to look for a change!

You paint life as an experience similar to shopping in a well stacked super market! I wish it is that simple! I merely wish for a mindset that can look upon everything as good.
    Sri

10. Cheeniya

My dear OJ
    Let me straightaway come to your following words.

"I want to know. Can a beautiful face that you saw for a fleeting second ever end? Can it end even after you end? Can the sight of a sky overcast with dark monsoon clouds ever end? The beauty that you experienced must necessarily be immortal. The fact that it was you who perceived it in your mind at some stage of your life should not endow you with a personal right over it. Even if I have not seen it, it exists as you saw it for a moment. It cannot die. At least, I cannot see how a piece of beauty in the abstract, once created, can ever cease to exist. Even life, which is so beautiful, must continue till the rest of eternity. By life, I mean of course the wonders that you live through."

How hopelessly romantic you can be, OJ! How I hate myself for having to wake you up to reality! The romantic mind keeps all the clouds and rainbows locked up for eternity while the characters in Bimal da’s Do Bigha Zamin and Amir Khan’s Lagaan wait for the romantics to release these clouds for their survival! They wait for the clouds to release their precious content and pale out into non existence. They have no use for good things that just nestle in the minds of romantics. They love clouds as much as a romantic but they want them physically to keep coming in an unending procession making their lives greener. It is their perspective of good things remaining permanent.

What we do during our life time certainly determines how the posterity will look at us. The Masonic Fraternity teaches us to ‘live respected and die regretted’. Both are complementary. Living respected guarantees a respectable existence after death! Only such souls live beyond their death. There is a problem though. Human idealism keeps changing eternally. What is living respected today may not be the same tomorrow because the parameters keep changing. I belong to a generation that grew on the Divine image of Mahatma Gandhi. We were made to believe that he was God’s gift to mankind but that image has now undergone a sea change. Today’s youth ask ‘Mahatma who?’!

I too used to be a diehard romantic OJ but all the beatings that my life has dealt me have made me less romantic and more practical! Life cannot end? Who cares after we are gone! Let it continue but not bother me anymore!

56 comments are not the be all and end all of our writing activity. As a romantic, you know it more than I do! I have heard that the romantics live in a world of their own and I am surprised you even keep a count of your comments! That’s about the only thing in you that shows you as a little practical too!
    Sri

1 person likes this.