1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Of bathing beauties and falling apples!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Nov 2, 2009.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Of bathing beauties and falling apples!

Most of us, particularly of the middle-class, have mastered the art of going through the motions of life without making any fuss. Take me for example. I enter a cold shower on a freezing wintry morning but do I make a big fuss like a pygmy relocated to an Igloo at the North Pole? No way! I just grin and bear it. In fact, in all my nearly 80 years of life, my bathing experience has been totally void of any dramatics. Whenever I hear of the story of how the mighty King Karthaveeryarjuna stopped the flow of River Narmada with his thousand hands so that he could have all the fun bathing in the subdued river with his numerous wives, I develop a huge complex. Poor me! I cannot even stop the drip from the leaky tap which keeps disturbing my sleep! I am digressing. What I was trying to tell you was that my bathing history of six decades has been as dull as the Hundred Year War between the Valois and the Plantagenets!

The greatest bathing scene in history that continues to bother the students of Physics to this day involved Archimedes. He was actually heading to his bath tub with his mind weighed down by a Royal decree running on his head. I do not want to go into the details of that historic bath as most of you may be aware of the episode. The amount of water displaced from the tub by the sheer weight of his massive frame evidently gave him some clue about some Law of Physics that continues to elude my grasp till date but that discovery gave him enough justification to run through the streets without a stitch on his body shouting Eureka!

I am mentioning this episode to show how some guys stumble upon momentous truths of life from ordinary incidents like bathing. Take this guy Isaac Newton for example. This guy is reported to have been hit on the head by a falling apple while he was having a siesta in his garden. Does he wipe the apple on his trouser seat and take a mighty bite like you and I would have done? No Sir! He starts thinking why the apple fell on his head instead of flying away and comes out with some mind-boggling theory about the Law of Gravity! Just shows how some minds remain active even during a siesta! While the likes of Archimedes and come out with some astounding theories by observing some mundane daily incidents, there are other guys like Einstein who explain away their complicated Theories in such a simple way that even a child can understand. One of Einstein's great insights was to realize that matter and energy are really different forms of the same thing. Matter can be turned into energy, and energy into matter as he explained through his famous formula E=mc². When some dumbo like me asked him to explain the Theory of Relativity in very simple terms, he was reported to have said “Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity."

Of all the scientists mentioned above, my pick is Einstein. It is not because he solved our vexatious question of who was bigger, Shakthi (Energy) or Shiva (Matter) through an ostensibly simple equation of E=mc². What makes me rate him high was his ability to explain a highly complex thought process through some ludicrously simple examples. I am sure that all of you would have been students of many a learned teacher but the ones that we fondly remember are those who could make their subjects sound so simple through some down to earth examples and explanations. I remember how we hated some showy professors who always treated us with contempt and effectively saw to it that we ended up as imbeciles. Their intention was to create a terror in our minds through their bombastic teaching techniques and make us believe that an understanding of the subject of their specialization was not within the reach of mortals like us!The first teacher that a child encounters in his life is his mother. It is she that nurtures his thirst for knowledge through some imaginative, innovative and yet simple answers to all his pestering questions. If she fails there, he may never have any questions to ask!

Last edited: May 10, 2021
    2 people like this.

2. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cheeniya sir,

Great to see you back ....So, I have the honour of giving you the first Fb (now that our viji is busy…:))…so true, what makes these men geniuses is the fact that their brains probably never sleep…and most of these geniuses are zeroes in the mundane areas of life which of course is a totally different matter but which I find very endearing…the more absentminded they are the more cute..

And Surely, every mother's most precious moments in life are when her children believed that she was the smartest and bombarded her with questions? i for one wish those days would come back..

hahaha just now noticed your new signature...Must tell it to my dh today..i am sure he will totally agree :biglaugh

3. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri,
    The most enjoyable post you have written so far!:)
    Oh, NO, on second thoughts, because I am perhaps repeating this line for the 'n'th time! So, 'one of the', may be added as a prefix to the first line - I stand correceted, Sir!!
    Oh, you men can never stop fantasising, perhaps!:hide:
    Your words
    Whenever I hear of the story of how the mighty King Karthaveeryarjuna stopped the flow of River Narmada with his thousand hands so that he could have all the fun bathing in the subdued river with his numerous wives, I develop a huge complex. Poor me!
    prove this!

I am not bothered about Archimides, but in practical life
    Shakthi (woman) = many times the square of Shiva (man).
    You just cannot deny it, my friend! If somebody 'wags the tail', don't we say in tamil
    Sivanenu kida??
    Be just as dull & inspid as a man!:biggrin2:

Now, coming to your signature, its' too good.
    It is practical too! You men sweep the room with a glance & we, women do it with a broom - Grihalakshmi does believe in execution unlike the Grahasthan who just glances!!

You have to tempt us with such titles??:hide:
    You, you, you men! You are incorrigible though enjoyable!:biglaugh
    Love,
    Chihra.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  4. Cheeniya

Dear Mindi
    Thanks a lot for rushing in to offer your FB! You make it appear as though you have been waiting anxiously for me to come out of my hibernation. You have indeed made my day!

I never realised that earning the adoration of a woman could be so simple and I have wasted 67 years not knowing this! All that I needed to do was to appear dumb and absent-minded most of the time and have my woman fawning over me! Instead I have been trying so many tricks without much success of course!

Seriously, a mother has a great role to play during the formative years of her child. This is the time that she shapes a raw mind into something exquisite that will stand far out from others. She must go on infusing new ideas into it. After all, a mind stretched by a new idea never gets back to its original dimensions!

And thanks for a nice word about my new signature. This is the only way I can win the affection of my fellow men in this community!
    Sri

5. Cheeniya

Dear Chithra
    That was quite a generous compliment and I am beholden to you for the same!
    By the way, my mention of the good old Karthaveeryarjuna was far from fantasizing. In fact, I was just remembering him when I was grappling with the leaky tap and wished that I had a fraction of his capability to attend to the tap effectively. I know that many people even pray to him if they lose something like a car key or a document with a hope that he would search for them with his thousand hands. I know a lady who starts chanting ‘Karthaveeryarjuno Namah Raja Bahu Shasrabath Tasya Smarana Matrena Gatham Nashtamcha Labyathe’ even if she loses a stainless steel tumbler!
    People who have never used a bath tub in their lives are hardly likely to give Archimedes any thought. But I am afraid that your understanding of the Theory of Relativity is slightly flawed. To suit your convenience, you seem to have assumed Einstein’s equation as e=m<SUP>2</SUP>c instead of e=mc<SUP>2</SUP>! Thus your statement Shakthi = many times the square of Shiva is totally flawed. On the basis of the Theory of Relativity, the ‘Shakthi-Shiva’ connection can be explained as follows: If Shiva is to remain equal or compatible with Shakthi, he has to put up with the square of her ‘constant’ nagging (c<SUP>2</SUP>)! That ‘Sivanennu kida’ refers to the ability of Shiva to remain unruffled despite all the tail wagging of Shakthi.
    Thanks a lot for that left-handed compliment of my signature! It is a pity that the Indian women put their brooms to limited use unlike their British counterparts who use them as their ‘Flying Machines’ as they zoom through the skies singing ‘Fair is foul and foul is fair’!
    Sri

6. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Why bother about Archimides or his theory?? Just like you twist the theory to suit you, I do it, my way & as a sivan, you must remember that the magic wand of freedom you men love to wag is in the hands of your woman sakthi. If she takes Viwarupam :)rant), well, you know, what you will have to go through at home everyday :)spin)!!
    A man ashould be happy with the words
    sivanenu kida than gammunu kida!
    we dare defy you with respectful terms (only)!

I am already imaginiing a woman like our Manorama Achi "flying' a broom & shouting to her man, 'gammunu kida"!!
    Yo may not like my post one bit, Sir, but I can't help retorting!:crazy
    Love,
    Chithra.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  7. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri,

Your bathing sure brings blogs to the fore eh ! HAHA.You are no less than archidemus, u too must be wantingto burst to the computer th blog this blog, but of course u took time to get dressed.:biglaughMay u bath for longer hours for us to read yr lovely blogs.

For u blogs come when u bath, well for me they come, when i sit on my pot in the bathroom.Did not Shakesphere say

" When the **** Cometh Down, the thoughts cometh in "

Well in my case some of my most hilarious blogs come there, no what connection is there between the two, i doubt if any of th e reknowned scientists could explain.

The guy with 1000 hands and so many wives eh ! He must have surely loved his wives a lot, so he stopped the water, lest one wife less, carried away by the waters.What a lovely husband he was.HAHA

Superb Sri Superb, and u aer back to yr old rolling self.just cant stop laughing Sri.

Regards

kamal

1 person likes this.
  8. Cheeniya

My dear Kamal
    You have made a very valid point there. As you rightly say, bathrooms are the Bodhi Tree for most men. That's where they get all their inspiring and occasionally ennobling thoughts. The man is invariably in his best mood immediately after a refreshing bath and also sumptuous food.

I find it hard to accept your equating your thoughts with something as lowly as human refuse! But you may have a point there because when a man is bereft of any ideas, he is supposed to suffer from mental constipation!

Now that I know where from you get all your funny blogs, I request you to spend as much time in the bathroom as possible!

And thanks a lot for all the nice words about my stuff.
    Sri

9. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri,

Do u know Ashok Kumar the actor, used to spend two hours in the bathroom, painting and singing.

So i took inspiration from him, u see.HAHA

Regards

kamal

10. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Sir,
    After seeing the first half of your title I presumed it is going to be juicy with bikini nymphs. Secretly I was happy that Cheeniyavin kathai is out now.

Then you start on the communal bathing or jala kridas. Recently I read in an article that advocates husband and wife must bathe together to maintain the oomph in the marriage. I suppose Karthaveeryarjuna is working on to keep the heat of his marriage.

Iam sorry you were unable to stop even the water dripping, you could have atleast closed the main inlet to the tap or changed the washer of the tap.(just kidding trying take a dig at you).

As to cold water bath , reminds me of “prokshanam” like the birds who dip their head in water and shake their heads by which water sprinkles all over the body and the ritual of bath is over. I suppose some of us would have resorted to this though it may not be for cold water shower.

Some how I have never been a smart student, so Archimedes and Newton and Einstein only for exams and jokes. I have found Archimedes principle working in drinking (beer/alcohol) group especially in parties. Scenario : The conversation slowly gets boisterous, then every one starts proudly saying I can do that , I will do that. Promises are made “I will get it done for you tomorrow” and then world crisis is solved, Iraq becomes a peaceful nation, India and Pakistan have joined up together. The next day, no one remembers anything spoken or have some vague memories & everything is back to square. The I realized “ when a person is wholly or partially immersed in alcohol, he suffers an apparent loss of memory which is equal to the volume of alcohol displaced out from the bottle .

All I know is gravity is a law and all law breakers will be brought down.

E= mc2 -Energy equals milk chocolate square (attributed to Albert E. Hersey)

Mothers definitely are our first teachers, but iam still finding it difficult to teach my DS. Does it mean iam a bad teacher?

Jaya