1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The discredited dog!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The great Hindu epic Mahabharat is a fascinating story of how right prevails over the wrong. The story is woven through generations of kings and princes with extremely clear links and continuity. It is said that Sage Vyasa dictated it in one sitting to Lord Ganesha. While the whole epic is gripping, the last chapter, The Swargarohana Parva, is the most gripping. At the end of it all, the Pandavas accompanied by Draupathi decide to trek it to Heaven. They are followed by a dog. Draupathi and all the Pandavas save Yudhishtira fall dead one after another. The dog is alive and stays with Yudhishtira when Indra appears before him and offers to take him to the Heaven in human form on condition that the dog is left behind. But Yudhishtira is adamant; to him the dog appears as one who has been devoted, loyal in the time of loss of his brothers and Draupathi. He was faithful and loving in the hour of entire solitude. He cannot be happy in heaven without the dog and he would be haunted by the thought of the dog so true. Finally, Yudhishtira decides not to go with Indra but to stay with the Dog. Finally it transpires that the dog is none other than Lord Dharma. Yudhishtira’s rejection of Indra’s offer of Heaven for the sake of a stray dog that kept following him is a point to be noted here.

Take the Greek Mythology. Everyone proceeding to the other world must cross the River Styx and enter the underworld Hades which is guarded zealously by a three headed hound called Cerberus. A dog again figuring prominently in our voyage to the other world! Let us stop talking eerie and think of the dog as man’s best friend. John Steinbeck once remarked “I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt, and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts!” I did not realise the import of this statement until I happened to hear the Kerala Chief Minister Achuthanandan’s remark at the door of the slain Army Officer Sandeep’s residence the other day. He is reported to have remarked that if it was not for Maj.Sandeep’s unfortunate demise, even a dog would not look at his house! After hearing him utter these astonishing words, I could understand why dogs should consider humans as nuts.

Dogs and other such friends of the lower order are normally protected by Animal Right Activists but their defence is mainly concerned with any physical abuse that they may be put to. But when a prominent public person launches a diatribe against them, no one takes notice and there is no likelihood of any Public Interest Litigation coming up in a Court to defend their honour. I am stung by this vilification of a dog’s honour by a prominent citizen of our country. If he has a dog at home and if that dog had heard of Woodrow Wilson’s statement that “if a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience", I have no doubt that it will never see his face again!

My neighbour tells me that after watching this incident of Achuthanandan’s misdemeanor on Times Now channel, his dog looked at him contemptuously as if to tell him that if the guy went there only because it was Sandeep’s house, why should he think that dogs too would require similar motivation. The animal then hung its head down in shame and whined to indicate that the canine community never waited for a calamity to strike before they paid their visits to any house. If you are one of those like me who sit glued to the TV watching the pug in Hutch ads, you will feel a murderous rage against anyone making such a disparaging remark about dogs. Achuthanandan has taken certain liberties with the canine community knowing fully well that if he makes a fool of himself with the dogs, not only will they not scold him, they will make a fool of themselves too to make him feel comfortable!

1 person likes this.

2. Padmasrinivas

Padmasrinivas Silver IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

We are a family of dog-lovers, dogs have been family members in every generation. My first memories of dogs came at age 4 when I visited my grand-uncle's house in Mysore. Two huge Alsations, as gentle as can be with kids, were part of the household. The few days that we spent there, I remember roaming around the compound with the dogs in tow, it was a tearful parting when it was time to go back to Trichy. Much to my mother's horror, my father brought home a tiny brown bundle who was later named Brownie by none other than my mother, no less! She was a fiercely loyal gal, a cross between a terrier and a beagle. She lived with us for 16 long years! Every time father was transferred to another city, she would travel with us in our compartment without any fuss. later on, we had several breeds of dogs but Brownie will always remain special to me. The tradition continues, my son and our dogs Sherry, followed by Frisky, were inseparable during his growing-up years. Now our Blue Roan Bozo, and my grandson are the best of friends!

This detailed prelude is only to emphasize the fact that dogs are indeed man's best friend. Scold them, ignore them, forget to feed them, leave them alone at home for a couple of hours, they will still come running to you with wagging tails to show how much they love you. So when someone maligns a dog's reputation as was done recently by this prominent citizen (?), one has to come to their rescue.
    Poor things, vaayillaada pranigal, cannot even defend themselves. Makes one's blood boil at the arrogance of such people!

I also find it difficult to appreciate some of the common usages like 'It's a dog's life, or to go to the dogs' or 'in the dog-house'. I like 'dogged determination', 'a dog-eared book' ...

Is anyone dog-tired after reading this?

Cheeniya Sir, I am 'dogging' your sentiments in this matter...

Padma

3. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Dear Sir,

Dogs are our best friends and the most loyal too. While the homosapiens promise to be with you through thick and thin, as you keep thinning monetarily they all just vanish , while the dogs abide by their unspoken rule to remain with you sans food and money for days , months if essential and continue looking at you with the unconditional love that they always have.

I am a Dog lover. Muffin is the most amazing pal I could have. A little more than a feet , thats her height (vertically challenged breed called Lhasa Apso), she takes amazing care of my house and the whole family. While I cant trust any human with 6 feet height and weight to match , I can definitely trust my Muffy. The people are always worried as they pass my gate as she barks so loud , belying her stature.Big LaughShe is forever vigilant while I take my nightwalks, barking at ever possible thing around , kind of cautioning them to be away from Mamma. Cant imagine anyone as protective as her .

The less talked about Achuthananda and his asinine and moronic comments, the better. I generally refrain from washing dirty linen in public , but I need to be excused this one time, for the few words I said.Believe me curtailing it to this minimum was a herculean task. I could imagine what Sandeeps parents must've gone through after hearing someone talk like that.

Anyway Sir, great post as ususal. From Mahabharat to Kalyug, quite a trip.

Love,
    Your Mol

Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  4. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri,
    Your last sentence is very well written, can’t help making a special mention of it.
    The Chief Minister is after all a politician, basically and has typically put his foot in his mouth. Another observation of mine is, the Keralites are highly emotional people and equally sensitive – I am sure his effigy must have been burnt all over Kerala.
    I am not a great dog-lover, but definitely not a dog-hater. I am plain scared if a dog comes near me!
    In our scriptures dog is glorified and equated to Bhairavar, a form of Lord Shiva.
    Lord Dattatreya, the Eternal Spiritual Guide of all, is depicted as surrounded by four dogs representing four Vedas. They follow the Lord as 'hounds of heaven -and watchdogs of truth', according to Datta Puranam.
    Vish adores the pug that comes in Vodafone advertisements. So, my elder GD, working for Vodafone, has got him the miniature figure of the pug, they give to some customers!
    Here is the same for your viewing pleasure!
    pug.JPG
    Love,
    Chithra

Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  5. Cheeniya

Dear Padma
    Thou being a dog lover shalt be my best friend in IL!

I quote your sentence " Scold them, ignore them, forget to feed them, leave them alone at home for a couple of hours, they will still come running to you with wagging tails to show how much they love you" to show that you can never speak a truer word. The most poignant observation that I have ever come across about a dog is this: "When you leave them in the morning, they stick their nose in the door crack and stand there like a portrait until you turn the key eight hours later."

From what you write, I can see that dogs have been an integral part of your life. I need no further proof to show that you have your heart in the right place! Dogs forgive those who treat them shabbily because they know that to err is human but to forgive is canine! So it is unlikely that Achuthanandan will be chased through the streets by a pack of dogs for what he has said about them!
    Sri

6. Cheeniya

My dear Mol
    From what you say, your Muffin must be an elfin! In Tamil, we say, 'Moorthy sirusaanalum keerthi perisu!' That should roughly translate to 'Though small in physical stature, it's fame is very large' (Can anyone help me with a better translation?)

In my younger days, I used to trek up the Tirumalai Hills to have a darshan of Balaji. On the way, it used to be a common sight to see dogs begging with a bowl tied to their neck for the sake of their masters! Dogs can be trusted with any job! Their understanding of dignity of labour is far superior to that of humans!

What you say is true of the decibel level of dogs. The smaller they are, the louder will be their bark. It is God's way of providing them with security. I have seen ladies jumping literally out of their skins when they hear a huge barking suddenly in their vicinity and with the breed like Muffins, they can't be sighted until they are at touching distance!

Sad to see that you have canonised Achuthanandan by calling him Achuthananda! Muffin must be hating you for this!
    Sri

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri,

I am not a dog hater, I love them as long as they are not around me..(allergic).

chithmam has mentioned about the role of dogs,in our scriptures ...there are many more to mention in their glory..

the Egyptian saluki means a noble one though they were the best hunting dogs and the oldest breed known on earth and interestingly has a mention in the Quran.

The dog never forgets his master whatever happens..when Ulysses came home after 20 years of adventure, only his dog could identify him..

Laika, a small dog was the first to go to space..
    Even in astronomy, we say that Sirius the dog star follows the Orion..

Dogs are so faithful, that they are said to be the best companions for the differently abled sometimes more vigilant than man..

Coming to A and his comments...may be he needs to stay in the company of these faithful companions for some time to know which of them is the better species....

8. Cheeniya

Dear Chithra
    When I hear you say "I am not a great dog-lover, but definitely not a dog-hater.", I recall the famous line of the Bard from Julius Caesar when Brutus meekly tries to defend his action of assassinating Caesar by saying ""Not that I lov'd Caesar less, but that I lov'd Rome more". You are indeed our in-house Shakespeare!

Looking at the physical proportion of Achutanandan, it must have been quite a task for him to have put his foot in his mouth! Of course, effigies were burnt in Kerala but I am constrained to mention that they make very poor effigies there as compared to our stuff in Tamilnadu!

For a moment I thought that I had stepped into your religious forum when I read about Dattareya but the cute picture of the Pug's miniature figure reassured me that we had not strayed away from the Rambling!
    Sri

9. Cheeniya

Dear Shanthi
    Your FB is as illuminating as ever. It sounds almost like the back wrapper of a book on all that one should know about dogs. As is my wont, I hit the Wikipedia after reading your FB to seek more info on the points that you made. Laika was 'Sputnikked' into space in 1957 and it died within 5 hours for reasons best known to the Russians behind the Iron Curtain. It was only 45 years later in 2002, the scientist responsible for the awful fate of Laika apologised for his mistake! How insensitive humans can be!

Coming to Achu's faux pas, I recall a poignant quote about dogs,
    "A dog is not "almost human" and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to describe it as such."
    In retrospect, I think that we are defaming the canine race more by taking people like Achu and their remarks seriously!
    Sri

10. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

oops Let me rectify this before the canine committee and a certain Menakaji condemn me.Achanandan and a capital N!!Big LaughBig Laugh