1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

They steal for pleasure!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

They steal for pleasure!

Most of the ardent fans of Kamal Hassan will agree with me that it is a greater joy to watch him in comedy roles than in heavy stuff. The one comedy of his, Michael Madana Kamarajan, is a film that his fans are never likely to get tired of watching again and again. He dons four different roles in the film and the inimitable Crazy Mohan who has written the dialogues for the film has exceeded all expectations. But honestly the comedy of Kamal is totally overshadowed by S.N.Lakshmi who acts as an old kleptomaniac who steals everything at sight from tumblers to the dentures of an old man! She even surprises everyone with a burst of kungfu!

I had an old aunt who was the sweetest of them all. She used to enthrall us with folklore which always had twists and turns like the stories of O.Henry. When it came to mythological stories, she would present them in her own perspective that gave us a greater insight into the working of the minds of popular mythological figures. She always carried a brown steel box that she considered more precious than her own life. None of us knew what was inside the box. Then one day, she left us all for her abode in Sivaloka plunging all of us in total grief. After the thirteen days of obsequies were finished, we decided to open her closely guarded steel trunk. As an expert uncle of mine prised open the formidable looking lock with ease making us wonder how and whence he acquired this skill, we held our breath to have a look at my departed aunt’s worldly possessions. The first sight of her treasure simply floored us. It consisted of pencil sharpeners, staplers, paper weights, small gadgets of children, soaps, battery cells and in short anything small enough to be tucked away safely! The largest of the items was an old geometry box.

Our minds went back to her days with us. Whenever she visited us, small things would suddenly disappear which would come to our notice only when we got ready for the school. She would join us in our frantic but futile search. We would leave for our schools sans the eraser, geometry box or whatever with a heavy heart but it would soon be forgotten history. You can imagine our surprise on seeing all those things that took wings mysteriously over the years sojourning safely in her trunk! It then dawned on us that she was probably a compulsive kleptomaniac who stole things not for value or use but just for the pleasure of it!

The Uncyclopedia, which is a spoof of Wikipedia, defines a kleptomaniac as someone who enjoys relieving people of items that they may otherwise find of some value or use. "Kleptos", as they are affectionately known, believe that it is their sworn duty to remove these items from members of the public as a means of easing the latter’s burden. They may not even be aware that they are engaged in acquiring someone else’s belongings unlawfully. It is rather tragic that they plan and execute their operations as meticulously as The Great Train Robbery only for acquiring such stuff that is least likely to be of any use to them in their life. I was appalled that my aunt was in this business all her life only to tuck away the things that she could lay her hands on in her worn out steel box!

What surprises me is that my aunt is just one of thousands of people who are kleptomaniacs. My access to my usual source of crazy statistics reveals that the annual turn over of kleptomaniacs in US per year is of the order of a whopping sum of $16 billion! It is not a work of the havenots who steal for a living but a pastime of well-heeled individuals including celebrities like the Hollywood actress Winona Rider and the ace tennice star Jennifer Capriati. A website on the Divas of the world even claims that Queen Mary had kleptomaniacal tendencies that gives this art a Royal status!

As far as I am concerned, the most celebrated kleptomanic was a fellow student of mine in Presidency College who was the prettiest of the lot and what did she steal? All our hearts, of course! In retrospect, I call her a kleptomaniac because she stole our hearts only to tuck them away, as my aunt did, in some place where she had no intention of looking again. Secondly, our hearts were precious to us but for the klepto that she was, it was of no use to her! She was probably not even aware, as a hybrid kleptomaniac, that she had stolen our hearts! In hindsight, I am happy that we lost our hearts to her because when we retrieved them, they were totally unused by her!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    1 person likes this.

2. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Dear Sir,

A wonderful Sunday treat!!

Sir , I too have come across many Kleptos, and the funniest part is that they are from very well to do families. This is just an obsessive behaviour and they have little or no control over it.

I liked your philosophical way of looking at your stolen heart. But then I guess from that angle there are many more Kelptos than the statistics prove. Some steal hearts, some patience, some peace of mind..........
    And that too is compulsive where one has little control and it almost becomes a necessity.

When I got to know about Winona I was so shocked . She was one of my favs. Not that this is her fault as such, cause this behavioural disorder does need therapy to cure and some of them are hardly aware that this is a psychological problem.

Nice blog Sir.A request from me. Please do not be a klepto and rob us of the happiness that we derive from reading your posts every week.:))

Love,
    Your mol

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  3. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Cheeniya Sir,
    Your last para is...:thumbsuprefering to kleptomaniacs...then it means that more walking around with that...:)

Devika, here I am going to rob your fb here by seconding it..especially the last line..Big Laugh
    One klepto here now..:spin

sriniketan

4. Geetha Iyer

Geetha Iyer New IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

Nice and interesting write-up about kleptomaniacs. I take the liberty of calling you a kleptomaniac as you have stolen our hearts with your eloquent, witty and informative write-ups. The people who take things away from shops without the notice of shopkeepers are called shop-lifters and many shops in U.S have surveillance cameras to spot them. One good Indian cricketer Sudhir Naik did shop-lifting if a pair of socks while on a tour of England and brought shame to himself and India. There are other class of people called stowaways who enjoy plane rides without tickets. We hear about them only in novels and I have not seen one in real life in the course of my many international travels.

Regards,

Geetha Iyer

5. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri,
    Is there any topic, beyond your reach, to write about eloquently???
    I can't help saying that your last para is your crowning glory.I now feel, you must have been an incorrigible flirt [​IMG] really, which every man imagines to have been! Your utterings may have been

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well, Sri, I did study in a co-ed college and hopefully my class boys had the same to say about me?? :biggrin2:
    Don't say, one needed to have been pretty & I lacked the basic qualification, in the first place!!
    Great, enjoyable post, Sri.
    Love,
    Chithra.

6. indhusri

indhusri Bronze IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya sir ,
    Myself being an ardent fan of Kamalhaasan , agree with your first statement very much !

- her performance is excellant ,as you say ! But I beg your pardon to disagree with you on the point that kamal’s comedy is overshadowed by her action . He is an unbeatable artist . Anyways SNL can be rated as the next best artist in that movie ! (sorry sir , if you don’t like my comment ) When she steals , she would do it in the lightening speed ! Have you noticed it ? Especially that “ veththalappotti” scene ! It will be stolen , got back and again stolen ...– all happens within a single minute ! Simply superb ! Her kungfu fight – unforgettable !
    Your experience with your “klepto” aunt is so funny ! What she kept inside her steel box was a great surprise !

Had a hearty laugh , reading these lines !
    – enjoyed your sarcastic comment ! :rotfl:rotfl

I came to know of an old tamil-actress who is a “klepto”.It happened a few years back . She visited a famous silk saree shop at chennai . She stole a saree woth Rs. 10,000 and kept it inside her huge shopping –bag . The owner noticed it . When she was about to move out of the shop , he stopped her at the door and told her in a very polite voice “ I’m sorry to say this: you forgot to pay the bill , madam . Here is the bill” . He showed a bill for Rs. 10,000 which he had prepared within a minute ! No need to say that she paid the bill, wiping the sweat on her frightened (disappointed) face ! What a clever man the owner was to manage that well-known ex- film star !( He is my close relative ! )
    All of your analysis about “kleptomania” were so funny ! The way you related it (klepto) to your fellow student was something extraordinary ! The one comment ,I enjoyed the most is :
    -

I follow sriniketan in seconding Devika’s last line in her FB !

May God bless you sir , for making our hearts light with your valuable posts !
    With regards,
    Indhu.
    PS : In a way , you are a "klepto" who has stolen our hearts ( with your writings) -but with a difference ( that they won't be retrieved back by us anyways and at any stage ! Big Laugh)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  7. uncannybal

uncannybal Senior IL'ite

Haha Nice one !

I think we have a klepto in our house too as I keep losing my temper !bonk

Santosh

8. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dear cheeniya sir,

first of all i agree whole heartedly that kamal excels in comedy than any otner subject...michael was a treat to watch and can be enjoyed any no of times.....SNL(i did not know her name but always thought of her as that cute old paati) she was too good....and like they say old habits die hard..in the last scene when she enters the mahal she tries to take the big lamp immediately and is stopped by urvashi.:rotfl:rotfl.that movie was just great plus your observations on these kleptos...i have not met any in my life so far...i wonder how they are treated....
    haha and enjoyed ur reminiscence of your old classmate .....what a klepto she must be. for having stolen all the hearts in the class.....
    Mindi

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  9. Cheeniya

My dear Mol
    Hearing you say all that about kleptomania was like a powwow with a renowned headshrinker! I totally agree that the kleptos have no control over their actions. Why would they otherwise risk being caught in the act when their sole aim is to pocket a worn out nail cutter and goodies like that? But then people like Winona are more like a wolf in a lamb skin. They pilfer things from famous departmental stores. If they are caught, the klepto garb comes handy. If they are not caught, they 'laugh all the way to the Bank' as the saying goes!

But the pure and simple kleptos like my late aunt are such a pleasure to reminisce. When it came to lifting things from their legal moorings, they always displayed a childlike quality. Imagine an octogenarian going after erasers and pencil sharpeners with the gusto of a 7 year old boy!

Mol, I cannot assure you that I'll not be a klepto if the tendency runs in the family. After all, my own aunt was one after all! Nothing would please me more than being in the shoes of my dearest aunt!
    Sri

10. Cheeniya

Dear Sri
    There is a saying that many a man is saved from being a thief by finding everything locked up! The people who believe in this statement always argue that there would have been no need for inventing the lock otherwise!
    But I agree with Devika that people who steal material things are only a small fraction as compared to people who steal our hearts and people who rob us of our peace of mind etc.
    Good that you too have joined the gang!
    Sri