1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Etiquette is not my cup of tea!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Etiquette is not my cup of tea!

Etiquette, according to the American Humorist Will Cuppy, means behaving yourself a little better than is absolutely necessary. I not only endorse Cuppy’s statement wholeheartedly but would also like to add my own bit. Etiquette means behaving a little better in public than when we are alone. My knowledge of the behavioral pattern of women when they are left to themselves is quite limited and hence would not know if this rule is applicable to them. But I can say with certain amount of certainty that Will Cuppy would have made this statement only after observing his male friends at close quarters.

It follows from the above that behavior is of three types. First is etiquette which is behaving a little better than absolutely necessary. Second is the ‘absolutely necessary’ type and the third is ‘go to hell’ type of behavior. The first is usually followed by men when they are in elite company. The second suits him in office and other public places. The third is resorted to whenever he is alone or in ‘total communion with nature’ as the saying goes. Most men are able to switch gears as the occasion demands but for a few, it can be a very tough exercise. These unfortunate few may become extremely unpopular in public despite having a heart of gold.

The greatest thing in life is the freedom to behave as one wants which can be possible only when he is alone. While going through some funny statistics, I came across an item recently which said that 86% of men tended to make faces at themselves when they were alone with a mirror. I would have strongly opposed it if I was not one of that 86%
    I wouldn’t say I make faces at myself but it is like this. When I have a mirror all for myself with no one around, I tend to examine my face at various angles to see which one of them made me look my best. While I am engaged in this self-improvement exercise, it is possible for any one sneaking in at that moment to come to the conclusion that I have this habit of making faces at myself. So this statistics hardly comes to me as a surprise. If ever I come across another man indulging in this luxury, I would want to ask him how he resists the temptation of doing it on other occasions like washing his hands in a restaurant. I have seen some men following Oscar Wilde’s suggestion that the best way to resist a temptation is to yield to it and letting themselves go berserk whenever they sight a mirror no matter where it is.

The second is the ‘absolutely necessary’ kind of behavior which needs to be followed in our professional and other pubic avocations. This is by far the most difficult of the three. As far as situations where a person is expected to follow some etiquette, he has the option to avoid such situations if etiquette is not his cup of tea. Thus if he gets an invitation for dinner from the Buckingham Palace, he can politely turn it down instead of attending it and making a fool of himself. Do you remember the havoc that Peter Sellers caused at ‘The Party’ hosted by one of the biggest Hollywood tycoons? It was well within his powers to have declined that invitation but had he done so, we would have missed a rollicking comedy. Coming back to the point, the situations which demand the ‘absolutely necessary’ kind of behaviour are usually unavoidable and if a person is unable to cope up with the pressures of such situations, he may ultimately become a nervous wreck. My tenure with State Bank very nearly did that to me when I had to be polite and keep smiling at some of the rowdy elements in the office in the interest of ‘customer service’
    Etiquette is nothing but wearing a shining Knight’s armour on a hot summer day and taking a stroll on the sands of Marina! It is bound to make you sweat under the collar and swear under your breath. The redeeming feature here is, as I have stated earlier, that it is purely optional. For Bohemian characters like me, etiquette may mean a fate worse than death. In fact, my aversion to following any form of etiquette is probably due to too much reading of Wodehouse. I still recall with horror how visitors to a place like the Barribault’s hotel are given a full page of do’s and don’ts that can unnerve even the most lion-hearted! For instance, wolf-whistling is prohibited in the lobby of Barribault's Hotel and so none of those present there can attempt this form of homage to pretty women there!

The greatest danger yet is a state of confusion in our minds as to which form of behaviour is best suited for a given circumstance. If we reserve our best behaviour for the blissful moments of our bath and display even a trace of our bathroom behaviour in public or while in elite company, we may get directed to an asylum!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
    sindmani likes this.

2. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

My Dear Sir,

I keep peeping into your Senile ramblings everyday hoping to catch your latest post and i go away disappointed and then suddenly Im treated to a fantastic post , that is more than worth the wait.

A perfect mixture of information and humour. Humour ofcourse we can all see and info for me as I now understand men atleast the 86% a lot more.
    One thing I agree is that men love mirrors as much as women do though they might not openly agree , but if youre in a restaurant with them and there are mirrors behind you, you begin to wonder if youre with a man whos squint because though you expect him to look at you he looks beyond. But then thats what the mirrors are for I guess, to keep the man amused with himself and he never seems to have enough of it. You can find him gaping at all possible things a car glass reflection, the steel plates, even the glasses etc. wherever he gets to see himself. Big LaughBig Laugh

Etiquettes are fine , I mean when we live in a society , the least we can do is behave in a manner that is pleasing but ofcourse comfort is also required. I mean in sweltering heat you really cannot conduct a meeting in a blazer, in an open restaurant. But the I still feel that chivalry being a part of etiquette is still missing in many people or is selectively present.:hide:

Too many forks, knives and things that look like arms and ammunitions do succeed in killing appetites. Smiling all the while for no apparent reason can give a disgusting feeling too.:spin

Sir I do agree if Men showed their true home colours out , then the asylums would probably be overfilled.Big Laugh

Lovely post Sir , a great Sunday treat!!

Love,
    Your Mol

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  3. bhuvnidhi

bhuvnidhi IL Hall of Fame

Sir,

Yo have said it right!

"Etiquette is nothing but wearing a shining Knight’s armour on a hot summer day and taking a stroll on the sands of Marina! It is bound to make you sweat under the collar and swear under your breath."

Whenever I go to elite parties,I feel that I am not being myself and I wud wait for the party to get over fast.I feel that I am not myself and itz too artificial.Those artificial smiles,the so called dignified behaviour makes me feel so uncomfortable.Itz as if u r wearing a tight dress which is mandotory andwaiting for the occasion to get over to throw it away.

But sometimes I feel if not for these rules,then some ill-behaved personalities might take the situation for granted.

This is my opinion.

Regards,
    Bhuvana.

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

<style></style>Hi sri,

Nice to see a a post here. was eagerly waiting what is up that sleeve (no beard in your case Big LaughBig Laugh.) this shows i am not following any etiquette?? well then it is not my cup of tea too..

Regarding mirrors, I somehow mind men cannot resist looking at their images wherever they are..(some how this rajni combing his hair looking into the closed window of a car in chandramukhi comes to mind). Infact I have observed, people cannot resist watching themselves on the glass doors, the plates, spoons, glasses. remember the bling ad from virgin mobile (??) where this is highlighted...

Coming to etiquettes, there are places you feel out of place, if you just don't follow them. example in a party, you are expected to come in a dress code, with a plastered smile sometimes. You are right about peter sellers as Hyrundi V. Bakshi, giving us a riot..(though there was a time i did not like the ethnic representation.)

When I read DM's fb on the forks and spoons, I was reminded of Emily Post the uncrowned queen on table manner's etiquette (also called the mistress of american manner)...and obviously one quote that used to rub salt, as I hated the forks and spoons arranged...Nothing is less important than which fork you use. Etiquette is the science of living. It embraces everything. It is ethics. It is honor. ofcourse still do not know what is ethics and honor in it..

Come to think of it, the start of the it boom and brain drain, there were classes named etiquette classes. there used to be an section in the magazine on etiquette. which side should you leave your hand bag when you go dining outside. how should you serve rice when you are with friends, eating rice with fork than with spoons.

But cannot disagree on the old quote familiarised in my cursive writing days "Manners maketh man"

5. uncannybal

uncannybal Senior IL'ite

You know there is a public bathroom in San Fransisco where there is a mirror that is two way and it faces the street. So if one decides to make faces when he thinks he is alone or does something worse - a guffaw or two ensues from the street outside !

I remember in our school one of the senior teachers had a table in front of the window. So while u were getting reprimanded for bad behaviour u had to endure the antics of the boys outside the window, making faces at u. It would have been bad etiquette to laugh at that moment !

Sometimes being forced to follow etiquette in trying circumstances can be fun. Like being in a posh restaurant with a girl who deliberately distracts u under the table while u are trying to order !

Santosh

6. abhatv

abhatv Senior IL'ite

Hello Cheeniya sir,

A very nice topic. I am reminded of the Barbara Cartland romances where always a young maiden would be taught "etiquette' prior to attending balls and before they " bring her out". I have enjoyed reading them.

Coming to "Modern Times" what about the trials and tribulations borne by younger cousins and old parents of the NRI group when they visit India and go to Five Star hotels? Many Malayalam films have such hilarious scenes. I find it difficult to handle a fork and spoon and would always resort to the two very good "fork and spoon" that Almighty has given me. To hell with etiquette when delicious dishes beckon you to devour them.

Regards,

Abha.

7. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dear cheeniya sir,
    a good treat ,this post..news to me about men and mirrors..i thought that was the prerogative of us women(though we use it for different reasons)....your post reminded me of an eight year old girl i encountered recently..a real tomboy who was always upto some tricks..they were electing the monitors in her class and i asked her would u like to be one..No way aunty....pat came the reply because then i have to be"GOOD " always.....it had me really:rotfl
    similarly i too wouldnt want to be at my best behaviour always..too much of a strain..not being "myself",i mean........but once in a while i do enjoy the experience.....
    so one thing i have in common with the great cheeniya sir..i too just love PGW...& if i havent told u so before already,your writings do reflect the same style...
    Regards
    Mindi

8. Cheeniya

Dear Mol
    Nothing pleases a man more than his image on the mirror. He may not be sitting whole day in front of the mirror and asking 'Mirror, mirror on the wall, who is the fairest of them all?' for two reasons. First, as the bread winner of the family, he can't afford to sit in front of the mirror whole day. Secondly, he is so sure of himself that he doesn't have to check it up with the mirror from time to time. Unlike a woman, a man never worries if anyone can be more handsome than him. If someone of the eminence of the great American poet Walt Whitman can say something like " I dote on myself, there is that lot of me and all so luscious", I do not have to say anything more on this aspect! Some men can even go overboard with self-love like Oscar Wilde's Dorian Gray. People look at Dorian's obsession in different ways but I look at it as pure tragedy.

Men also like to hear good things being said about how they look. I had a colleague in State Bank who had no big opinion about his looks. One day a woman employee told him that he always reminded her of the handsome film star of yesteryears Gemini Ganesan who was famous for his fatal attraction among women. From that day onwards, this colleague became a changed man. He acquired an all-new jaunty gait and was always armed with a comb and other paraphernalia. He was ever ready to flash on his toothy smile at each and every one. Later on, we came to know that the woman employee told him so to get her application for a month's leave sanctioned by him. He was known for his reluctance to sanction leave but the ammunition used by that employee proved effective!
    Sri

9. Cheeniya

Dear Bhuvana
    I extend a warm welcome to you and thank you for your maiden FB in my forum!

The most physically taxing exercise that a human being has to perform is to keep smiling when he doesn't feel like it. Within an hour the jaws will start aching and if the smiling has to be done for a couple of hours, even a pain killer may become necessary. That's why I have the greatest admiration for the job that an air-hostess performs in-flight! I have no doubt that her face will be more tired than her legs at the end of a long flight!

You are right about these elite parties. The feeling of freedom that we feel at the conclusion of such parties is greater than what Gandhiji got for us!
    Sri

10. Cheeniya

Dear Shanthi
    This is one aspect where men differ from women. Men cannot resist any shiny surface to look at themselves. Place a gleaming plate before them and they'll survey their countenance first before consuming what is served in it. They feel least disturbed even if the image thrown by the curved surface of the plate is grotesque because that will make them feel better that they are not that bad in reality! But a woman will not risk looking at her face in any surface that will not be flattering to her! That's why we hardly find any woman who is as enterprising as a man in making use of any shiny object to survey her features. They prefer to carry a small mirror in their pouches!

All that noise made about Peter Sellers donning the role of an ethnic Indian in The Party was only from the usually hostile groups. Thank God this Thackeray youngster was not around then. Had he been there, we would not have got a chance to see the movie. Or perhaps, he would have passed it as Bakshi was not portrayed as someone from Mumbai!

That Emily woman was a pain in the neck! I hate anyone looking at me in horror as I dip my fingers into a plate of steaming hot Bisibela! Spoons are meant for taking only cough syrups and table spoons can at best be a tool of culinary experts! Imagine classes being conducted to teach women where to leave their handbags while dining! It will be more useful to teach them how not to forget it while leaving after dinner!
    Sri