1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My appointment with the Doctor!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, May 24, 2015.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

It was time for my next appointment with my Doctor. In fact I had been rehearsing my meeting with him for the last three days. My wife kept cautioning me about my tendency to indulge in light-hearted banter with the Doctor and miss out on the essential problems that kept me down from time to time. She also categorically refused to accompany me this time pointing out how she walked into his chamber with me in the pink of her health last time and walked out as a chronically ill patient. So realizing that it was going to be totally a one to one show this time, my nervousness was trying to breach its earlier record.

On the appointed day, I was there in the clinic 45 minutes ahead of my appointment. There were about dozen people with tell tale signs of something or other troubling them. All of them seemed anxious that whatever they were suffering from had a name so that the Doctor could easily treat them. They were obviously not ready for undergoing some fancy diagnostic tests to be told ultimately that there was nothing wrong with them. I also hate spending money on diagnostic tests unless the results pointed to a decent ailment which I can brag about in the club. When the receptionist called out my name to inform that I would be the next to see the Doctor, I stiffened a bit. I looked into the bag to make a cursory check of all the reports that I had brought.

The door of the Doctor’s chamber opened finally and an elderly lady walked out accompanied by a younger version of her. I moved in with a bright smile which I had been practicing since morning. The Doctor did not seem to notice it as he beckoned me to sit on a small metal stool for which most of the Doctors had a singular preference. I sat on it as gingerly as an elephant would sit in a circus. I took out my reports and spread them out on his table. He pushed them aside and asked me to tell him briefly what was troubling me. ‘It is about my left hand’, I told him. He knew that I had just started my narration and waited to hear more like an eager child listening to his bed time story. ‘I have a peculiar feeling of an insect crawling up and down my hand frequently’, I added. ‘Could it be a spider?’ asked the Doctor. Seeing that I was not too sure about the spider, he suggested a cockroach. A shudder passed through my massive frame when I heard that name and told him that I always kept a minimum distance of 500 meters from that loathsome insect.

‘That’s very interesting’ said the Doctor. He went on to add that the fear of cockroaches was the birth-right of women and was hardly noticed among men. According to the statistics available with him, I belonged to a meager 1% of the Indian male population that exhibited fear for cockroaches. This might require attention of a psychiatrist as it pointed out to a deeper malady. ‘You are suffering from katsaridaphobia and that’s not a good thing for a man’ he declared. My original complaint of insect crawling sensation in my left hand slowly receded into the background as the Doctor went on to explain the various ramifications of katsaridaphobia. He handed me a business card of a head-shrinker as P.G.Wodehouse would always refer to psychiatrists. ‘If you get this fear of cockroaches out of your system, 50% of your ailments will take care of themselves’ he assured me.

I collected my reports and moved out of his room as the next patient waiting at the door gave me a menacing look. Obviously our cockroach discussion inside might have taken a lot more time than the Doctor normally spent on each patient. The Receptionist collected Rs.400/- from me after a brief intercom talk with the Doctor. I dragged myself away from the clinic as I knew that the reception at home was going to be rather unpleasant. To tell you the truth, my encounters with my Doctor never left my wife tickled!

14 people like this.

2. suryakala

suryakala IL Hall of Fame

Dear @Cheeniya ,

An enjoyable post on a creepy ailment!

Feeling of cockroaches creeping on hand! OMG!

Hope the ailment shrank and vanished just on thinking of a "head-shrinker"!

3. Cheeniya

Dear Suryakala
    That was a fast response! Thank you! Honestly my habit of rambling even with Doctors eventually sidetrack my original complaints and only after I come out I realise that we have not discussed a word about my real problem. Further I also earn the displeasure of my fellow patients for taking more time with the Doctor! If they come to know that I discussed cockroaches with him, they would kill me!
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  4. suryakala

suryakala IL Hall of Fame

Dear @Cheeniya ,

I am pleasantly surprised by that still faster response!

You seem to be too good a patient for those doctors, with justified upset of your better half.

After seeing himself in the same boat as you, my DH started a practice of carrying a written list of points symptoms and enjoyed the surprised embarrassment of doctors when he would systematically ask questions to an impatient doctor!

Of course, it is effective!

1 person likes this.
  5. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sir,
    Today you reminded me of my father. He used to get ready by 6 o' clock in the morning when the appointment is at 10.30 and nag me or my brother to get ready...we do things slowly, how disciplined he is and how undisciplined we are blah blah. As always we got used to it many times before and keep silent and never argued...no point in arguing.
    I am all with Mrs. Indira for not accompanying you. You made her a patient in previous visit!
    Doctor wanted to name something for your tickling feeling....he chose cockroach (thinking men are the one who drive away the cockroach at home! He must be doing that as many men do). But when you negatived it he has no other alternative except to give your tickling or creepy feeling some name and recommended to a psychiatrist! He has to do something because he took 400Rs. from you.
    A little doubt. Who used to drive away cockroaches in your house?Definitely not your wife nor daughters. Not even 1% women dare to do it!
    So, I know what the next topic for ramblings would be. your wife's reaction to the doctor's diagnosis! We would be waiting for it.
    Syamala

1 person likes this.
  6. PriyaKathiravan

PriyaKathiravan Silver IL'ite

Really, Sir, did the good doctor let you off so easily ? No X -Ray, MRI, CT scan, not even an ECG, at the very least ,a blood test ? Not a big scorer for the hospital, I am afraid !
    On second thoughts, I suspect this kastaphobia is something you invented for future use at home, to back off on "medical grounds", when you may be summoned to assist your brave lady in her roach slaying ventures.

1 person likes this.
  7. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Very much enlightening post.In the process we learnt the name of some phobia;Still to verify if it is in the recognized list of phobias.My husband is very much afraid of cockroches.Whenever he finds a cockroach,he simply covers the cockroach with a big flat vessel.It is for me to hit and drive.Your snippet reminded me of , I think of Revathi's " kambali poochi feeling' in the movie Mauna Ragam.The cockroach feel also is one that men develop for fear of facing their arguments or used as a pretext to avoid them.
    There was a real fear of mice in my son's residence in California.As there was a new born child at home, we were much worried.It was my duty to set the mouse trap in vulnerable places and my elder grandson wrote my mouse-catch in his white score board.
    After spending nearly $1000/ they were able to identify a small hole beneath the toilet.
    .Even after coming to Chennai I started searching for mice in the nook and corner of the house.
    Only Shri Cheeniya can make make a mountain out a mole.
    Jayasala 42

1 person likes this.
  8. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mr Cheeniya,
    Our long wait for your rambling has not gone in vain, we got another hilarious post.

Please give me your doctor's phone number and address. He seems to be an old timer who doesn' prescribe all the unnecessary scans and tests. As we have a psychiatrist in our family I wouldn't mind if he recommends to go to psychiatrist.

I really pity Indra for having left to deal with roaches which I very much detest.

I Feel lucky that my DH is daring to deal with baby snakes to dead pigeons to cockroaches and only scared of monkeys.

Better luck next time when you visit the doctor not to be recommended to visit a psychiatrist, but with a fancy disease to update medical glossary.

PS

1 person likes this.
  9. Cheeniya

Dear Suryakala
    That's the main problem with my Doctor who is also a rambler like me. If you will recall, he pushed aside all my reports and asked me to talk about my problem. He does not like papers spread in front of him. To tell you the truth, he prides himself with the cleanliness of his table! So we are forced to express our problems orally from our memory. But there is also an advantage in this system. We come to learn of a lot of new things from him. He is quite well informed even in matters relating to cockroaches. I do love my visits to him!
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  10. Cheeniya

Dear Syamala
    Your statement about your dad is a bit confusing. You say that he gets ready by 6 in the morning for an appointment at 10.30. but you have not told us if it is A.M. or P.M. My father in law would be restless from early morning to catch a train late night! He would be pacing the floor restlessly the whole day and worrying everyone around. All because he missed a train once and the scar of it never healed! In his case it was not a question of discipline but the fear of missing the train again. Further ageing had made him less athletic for attempting to board a moving train.

When I went to meet my Doctor to discuss the insect-crawling sensation in my hand, I was thinking of some lovable and harmless insects but he put me off completely by mentioning spiders and the loathsome cockroaches! That is how I got totally diverted. Coming to your doubt, I do assist my wife in driving away crawling cockroaches but when they take to wings, we all disappear into thin air. More than anything else, I hate the odour of a flying cockroach.
    Sri