1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Hobson's Choice!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Me and my hypochondria again!

I am sure you all know about hypochondriacs. I am glad to say I am one of them. You may think I am crazy wondering how anyone can be glad being a hypochondriac. There are several reasons but the main one is that it puts me in the elite company of Jerome K Jerome, the guy who wrote ‘Three men in a Boat’. To understand the quintessence of what hypochondria is all about, just read his following lines:
    ‘I remember going to the British Museum one day to read up the treatment for some slight ailment of which I had a touch—hay fever, I fancy it was. I got down the book and read all I came to read, and then, in an unthinking moment, I idly turned the leaves and began to study indolently diseases in general. I forget which was the first distemper I plunged into—some fearful, devastating scourge, I know—and before I h‘ad glanced half down the list of “premonitory symptoms,” it was borne in upon me that I had fairly got it.

I sat for a while frozen with horror, and then, in the listlessness of despair, I again turned over the pages. I came to typhoid fever—read the symptoms—discovered that I had typhoid fever, must have had it for months without knowing it—wondered what else I had got; turned up St. Vitus’ Dance—found, as I expected, that I had that too—began to get interested in my case and determined to sift it to the bottom, and so started alphabetically—read up ague and learnt that I was sickening for it, and that the acute stage would commence in about another fortnight. Bright’s disease, I was relieved to find, I had only in a modified form, and so far as that was concerned, I might live for years. Cholera I had, with severe complications; and diphtheria I seemed to have been born with. I plodded conscientiously through the twenty-six letters, and the only malady I could conclude I had not got was housemaid’s knee.’

I am sure you get the picture now. But I hasten to assure you that I am not your run of the mill hypochondriac and I am somewhat different. The other hypochondriacs in my circle call me eccentric. I talk a lot about my ailments with my family members and close friends. We exchange notes on them with similar sufferers in the Club. In my case, the person who knows me inside out is my wife. She is a woman of steel. She never gets alarmed even when she hears from me about the symptoms of possible life threatening diseases that could be knocking at my doors. She once told me that she was worried only when I did not talk about my ailments. According to her, the first ever mention of something that was bothering me was on the day of my marriage and to be precise when I was fumbling with tying the three holy knots in her Mangal Sutra! I attributed my fumbling to a nervous disorder affecting the dexterity of my hands minutes after that ceremony was over. Since then, according to her, it has been a ceaseless running commentary on the various ailments that kept visiting me.

So what is the eccentricity that I am talking about, you may ask. It is just that when I am so open about revealing the various symptoms of my numerous ailments to all and sundry beginning with my dear wife, I become tongue-tied when I am in front of the Doctor. Whenever a visit to a Doctor is scheduled, my wife starts reminding me of all the symptoms that I have been complaining of. ‘Be sure to tell the Doctor about all your complaints. If you don’t, I’ll sew up your mouth so that you stop telling me about them in future!’ As we wait for our turn to see the Doctor in the waiting room, she briefs me about what I should tell the Doctor adding ‘Stop behaving as if we are on a social visit’. When our turn comes to enter the sanctum sanctorum, we are greeted by a cheery welcome from the affable Doctor. I become instantly chatty and for the next fifteen minutes we talk of a lot of things until he asks me the reason for my visit. I turn to my wife for help and get alarmed by the sight of the veins jutting out on her forehead. Looking at her, the Doctor comes to the conclusion that my wife is the patient and starts winding the inflatable cuff around her arms. More veins start jutting out on her forehead as the Doctor starts measuring her BP. ‘You have been ignoring your health, Madam. You must learn to calm yourself and lead a relaxed life’, the Doctor advised her. He scribbles some tablets for her and hands it over to her. He slaps on my back and remarks, ‘I can’t believe that a jolly man like you should allow your wife to be hypertensive!’

We walk out of the room silently. ‘Why did you not tell anything about your problems to the Doctor?’ she hissed at me. I explained to her that I was afraid of having to go through all the diagnostic tests that he might order for me. How could I tell her that if the tests confirmed my worst fears about my health, I would die of fright. On the contrary, if they negated all my fears, I would not be allowed to open my mouth about my health problems ever again. Hobson’s choice, you know!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
    16 people like this.

2. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

My dear Anna

I am glad after a long time I got the opportunity to give the first fb but sad that there is no current here since 1.30 pm and the battery in the laptop is low , so I will wait and give fb later.

3. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya sir,
    I was waiting for Viji madam's first FB.

You are going through second childhood. Children go though Hobson's choice many times...if they tell mom or dad what are the pluses and minuses and if do not tell what is the choice they are left with! Finally they tell...cannot keep quiet for long. It bugs them.
    So, now you are left with a choice of whether to face all the tests for your imaginary ailments or opening up all your ailments to your wife. She must have got used to it by now...nothing new for her. You want to clear your fears regarding all your ailments and if there is anything wrong get it fixed or not face it by avoiding tests? You are behaving like a kid. A cat drinks milk closing its eyes thinking nobody is watching it....."Pilli kallu moosukoni palu thatguthunte evvaru choodaranukuntundi". Exact translation I cannot make. Ask your son in law. He would explain to you in Tamil.

Hahaha...even while tying mangalasuthram, such an auspicious and romantic moment in life you thought you had some nervous disorder!!!!! Confirmed hypochondriac! I like your wife's attitude...woman of steel!

When we google for diseases we get a feeling that we have all the diseases in the world. I do not google for diseases for myself but when kids fall sick, I google. I do not watch any health related programmes on T.V also. In Telugu channels from 12 noon to 1 O' Clock cookery programmes come with all the ingredients which we should avoid. From 3 to 4 all health related programmes (Allopathy, Homeo and Ayurvedic) indirectly saying not to eat noon dishes of cookery channels.
    Better tell the doctor all your problems and your wife also. Doctor would cure and your wife got used to listening (pretend listening?) anyway.
    Thank you .
    Syamala

1 person likes this.
  4. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cheeniya Sir,
    Very interesting account of meeting your physician.More often than not, many husbands belong to this category always complaining about all types of disorders at home and putting a bold face before the doctor only to commence lamenting at home once again.

Even before the word 'hypochondria' was known to me I have seen people having this disorder.The disorder may relate to one's own self or about children.Sometimes even serious disorders are missed because all at home are irritated about frequent complaints( Puli varugirathu' kathai maathiri'
    Now even the so called brave ones are becoming hypochondriacs,thanks to the internet
    and the websites'symptoms and disoders'. All minor symptoms are magnified and threaten the users of cancer, T. B. and brain damages.Ladies in menopause stage already have symptoms of depression which is aggravated .

Our family doctor strongly advises us to desist from looking at the internet or watch the programme of consulting doctors through TV channels.
    Though hypochondria essentially related to health fears, there are other fear related disorders.
    Pregnant women who have lost the first child, always fear about miscarriage.
    Those who have experienced accidents always fear about accidents even if there is a delay of a few minutes.
    My sister's sister-in-law had 3children born deaf and dumb. When my sister was pregnant she was totally depressed under the grip of fear that her child also would be born deaf and dumb. My mother found it extremely difficult to handle her. All the encouragements will be futile.
    My mother-in -law's sister who was staying with us for 15 years had this hypochondria.Daily she visualised scenes of her death and who all came and wept for her. She was a highly intelligent lady. She used to narrate the struggle between her mind and intellect as a story.
    Anxiety is at the root of many, if not all, of our psychological disorders. It is, physically, a kind of fear response, involving the activation of the sympathetic nervous system, in response to a dangerous situation. More specifically, anxiety is the anticipation of danger,. Some people are innately more sensitive to stress, and so are more likely to experience anxiety and develop anxiety disorders.

Each experience "tunes" the nervous system to respond more quickly and more profoundly to perceived danger.
    Even after my husband recovered from his head injury, he had no fears;but I used to get upset even when minor similar symptoms occurred.
    In modern world of high competition there are many more fears-
    The thought of divorce arises even with a small misunderstanding;
    Awaiting results of exam/interview/promotion send panic waves,
    The list of agonies have grown in volume-safe return of girl children,safe arrival of flights,fear about safety of senior citizens, more about safety of high raised bldgs.
    Compared to all these fears, anxieties,trials and tribulations hypochondria seems to be
    a negligible one.
    Cheeniya's hypochondria is a great show full of wit and humour.Thoroughly enjoyable.
    I fear I have made it somewhat serious and scarry.

Jayasala 42

3 people like this.
  5. Cheeniya

My dear Viji
    It has been quite long since you gave the first FB. Thank you. I look forward to your detailed FB. But I want to tell you this. When you do the 'boni' for me, my thread will do really well but the present one could be an exception. There is nothing much to interest younger generation that may be out of touch with hypochondriacs. Let's wait and see.
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  6. Cheeniya

My dear Syamala
    As suggested by you, I read out the 'pilli kannu moosukoni' stuff to my son in law grinning proudly indicating that no language is beyond me to master! He laughed out aloud, rolled on the floor laughing, and did everything that is normally done when encountering comic situations! For the next 15 minutes, he talked to me in chaste East Godhavari Telugu like Kamal Hassan in Maro Charithra while I stood there twiddling my thumbs and pulling at my imaginary hair. Finally he told me that such sayings lose their beauty if they are explained in another language and as a true Telugu devotee, he explained it in Telugu! I thanked him profusely and left in search of a cat drinking milk with closed eyes. I always thought that the cats closed their eyes while drinking milk to savour its divine taste undisturbed by the sight of the mundane life all around!

I do not normally google for information on various ailments but I do goole for every medicine that is prescribed for me. From the description of side effects of every single medicine, I realise that I am a guinea pig in the hands of the Doctors. It gives me a feeling as though I am a caged white rat waiting to be injected with a new medicine to evaluate its effects. I buy all the medicines prescribed because they help me to google for them without much hassle. I can never read a Doctor's handwriting and if I google for them directly with the prescription, google tells me that such a thing never exists! So I buy them, google for them and consign them to my old almyrah. If you step into my room, you may think that you have entered a pharmacy!
    Sri

2 people like this.
  7. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

So, there are two steps Cheeniya sir....first going to doctor and then google for the side effects of medicines prescribed. If we read all the side effects we would not take any medicine. Godavari district Telugu is very unique. I like it a lot. Ours is Krishna and Guntur district dialect. My father worked for sometime in Rajahmundry and then we visited a few times. Their Telugu and entire Konaseems is beautiful.....rice bowl of India it is called.
    Syamala

8. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Cheeniya sir,

I have to tell you about a doctor friend of mine. He sometimes insists on taking a look at an injury, you know because of running or yoga and comes home and gives a consultation. A rarity here I tell you! Since he is a good friend you know, more than the diagnosis, a lot of other talk happens. As a conversation starter, I have always asked "how is work?" and you know what he answers consistently "Oh work! It is the same old thing. Same old patients with same old problems!" I vacillate between, Thank God! If I have any problem it is just the same old one which every one has or on days I am cranky, I cannot help but feel 'oh my injury must be once in a while diagnosis experience for him and that is why he comes home to take a look!

Poor aunty I tell you sir! She gets diagnosed while you escape from it. Not fair at all. If I were your doctor I would prescribe harmless pills to you - for placebo effect. You see, you google you may not find information but you may feel better. Oh no! just as type this I realize you might google for the harmless pills, not find any information and worry even more. Hobson's choice it is sir not for you but for your doctor. Poor guy what choice will he have when you open your mouth? He can neither prescribe the appropriate pills nor the ones as placebo! Haai haai! It is better you keep quiet and come back home I tell you. Better for everyone I think, aunty gets her share of diagnosis she doesn't need, you get a new prescription (for aunty) to google on internet, the doctor gets his fees. All izzz well, indeed.

5 people like this.
  9. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

I could not stop laughing after reading the last two paragraphs of your post. So, you went to the doctor to tell all about your symptoms and came back with a treatment plan for your wife? I am being a victim of listening to a hypochondriac myself, I knew all about it from my childhood. I have some stunning experiences of accompanying my mother to the doctors in Neyveli as well as in Chennai when she was hale and healthy. She had the habit of listening to the questions of the doctor and feel that she had all of the symptoms. She is going to be 85 years old this July and she lived all her life with health complaints round the clock.

My wife took my mother to a famous Gastroenterologist in Chennai immediately after our marriage the doctor prescribed a whole set of medicines to my mother asking her to take them all without fail everyday. My mother asked her whether she had to go through endoscopy to cure her problem and the doctor responded negatively. After the visit, my mother asked my wife to meet the doctor separately to find out about her health issues with a complain that the doctor never shares information about her health directly. When my wife met the doctor, he simply said the following:

"Please don't bring her again for treatment with me. She has no Gastroenterology issues and I am just prescribing vitamin tablets for her to keep her happy. She does not need any treatment from me. If possible, please take her to a Psychiatrist and give her a treatment to get her out of her health anxiety."

In general, every doctor's visit is scary and I understand your fear for describing your symptoms to the doctor. I fully understand what you mean when you said you are afraid of diagnostic tests. Unfortunately most of the results won't come for a week and that waiting time is painful for most patients. The internet and media added more to the fear of a hypochondriac through their graphic description of symptoms of the diseases. I stopped reading those articles for a long time. I even stopped reading the precautionary note that comes with the pills. Invariably they all tell that the pill I take can affect one of my organs. It is very common in the US that medicines that most Americans took for decade is suddenly found dangerous to health and withdrawn from the market.

I had light-headed feeling for two weeks and had difficulty in managing to balance myself when I walked. I came to the conclusion that it is due to my right ear having some problem and decided to visit an ENT. He asked me whether all the objects around me spins when I get up in the morning and when I answered negatively, he told me to go home and asked to come back again in two weeks if I continue to feel light-headed. Right after that visit, my problem resolved by itself. My wife now tells me that I have inherited some qualities from my mom.

Most of the time, patients are afraid of not what would happen to them but they might be a trouble to people they love. Therefore, I give the benefit of doubt to the Hypochondriacs. Even though I feel sorry for your wife for what she goes through, still I am on your side. Please relax and we need you here for a long time.

Viswa

3 people like this.
  10. Cheeniya

Dear Jayasala
    Thank you for your 360° view of fear! The ever popular Alistair MacLean wrote a gripping suspense thriller titled 'Fear is the Key'. Fear is projected by him as a key to whatever you want to be! In other words, fear is projected by him as the key for success! To be honest with you, the idea is not at all ridiculous as we have seen it happen that way on many many occasions.

If you think that hypochondria is my distinguishing attribute, let me tell you that when it comes to the fear of the unknown, it is my speciality. Even if I take a train from Chennai to Arakkonam, Lord Ganesa in the nearby temple gains four coconuts, two for my successful onward journey and two for my successful return. It is because of my fear of the trains running off the track! Every time I fly out of Chennai, I avoid standing near glass doors and partitions of Chennai Airport because of their tendency to move away from their moorings and land on the passengers' heads!

Coming to your sister's fear of her child being born deaf and dumb because her SIL had three such children, I remember Gulzar's great movie Koshish starring Sanjeev Kumar and Jayabadhuri. Both of them are deaf and dumb and they harbour a fear that their child too would be like them. When their child does not respond to the shaking of a rattle, they panic and rush to the Doctor with the child. When the Doctor assures them that the child is quite normal and only the rattle was broken, they feel immensely relieved. I can never forget this scene.

Your scientific explanation for hypochondria is indeed very true. The other day, I was reading some research articles on the Net about psychosomatic disorder to gain further insight into my hypochondria but found that there were no connections between the two. I felt relieved because I hated my hypochondria being branded as psychosomatic. Hypochondria is the product of a creative mind whereas psychosomatic disorder is more of a mental condition. I don't want to be called 'mental', at least not yet!
    Sri

2 people like this.