1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Writer's Block!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Oct 17, 2014.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The look on my face must have caused quite a bit of concern in the minds of my friends in the good old club. Words probably have gone around that Cheeniya is in agony. Nothing else could explain the sudden drop in noise level in the club and even the boisterous chaps started narrating their bawdy jokes in hushed tones. The laughter that usually followed such jokes would put a hyena to shame but today it was just no more than a gorilla baring its teeth. I knew I was the reason for all this melancholy and I really felt bad about it. Nobody came forward to ask me about my secret sorrow. Everyone one just threw stealthy glances at me as Wordsworth did at the enigmatic Solitary Reaper.

Just then a close pal of mine who is one of the oldest members of the club walked in and looked askance at the mournful look at most of the faces in the club. He waved at me from a distance and walked over to a batch of regulars. I have no idea about what transpired between them and him. He looked at me in a funny kind of way and came straight to my table. He occupied the chair in front of me and ordered for his favourite drink. As he waited for it, he looked at me sternly and asked me what was troubling me. He is well known in the club for his direct approach and he will not take any drivel either. I saw no point in holding my sorrow in my heart anymore and I blurted out ‘Writer’s Block’. He was quite taken aback by my terse reply and probably thought that I had not understood his question. He repeated his question with a good measure of irritation and I repeated my answer with the same measure of irritation. ‘I can’t understand what you are saying. If it is in Pashto, can you repeat it in English for me?’ he pleaded.

I told him all about the sudden spells of inactivity that writers fall into. I explained to him at length the agonizing state of not being able to think of anything to write about. I pointed out to him that it was as though that my mind had been swept clear by an invisible Tsunami. ‘My keyboard has been gathering dust’ I wailed to him. ‘Stop calling yourself a writer and the block attached to it will go off automatically’ he replied. ‘Incidentally what do you write about, political, economic or human relations?’ he asked me. Honestly that question unnerved me a bit. How can I tell him that what I write hardly falls into any category? He has already warned me to stop calling myself a writer. If I explain to him the kind of stuff I write, he would probably tell me that I must thank God for my Writer’s Block!

I explained to him that my writing involved two sides. ‘First is the original writing that I do and this is where the Block has occurred. It is more than a month since I produced anything new. The second is my responses to what others write. Here I feel quite free and uninhibited. Thoughts just flow out’, I told him. ‘Do you mean something like Letters to the Editor?’ he asked me adding, ‘anybody can do that kind of blah-blah. It does not require any special skill. If you feel any block there too, then I suggest that you dump your keyboard in the Bay and buy a new one!’ ‘It has nothing to do with my keyboard’ I retorted resentfully and he shot back ‘Then you dump yourself in the Bay’. I felt appalled at the insensitivity of his repartee. Here I was struggling to find my form again and this chap instead of showing any sympathy was just making fun of me!

‘The agony of a creative mind can be understood only by another creative mind’ I told him expecting it to sting him. If it did, there was no sign of it at all. ‘What creative mind! You don’t even know what you are writing about!’ he shot back. ‘Merely because you have no clue at all about what to write next, you give it some fancy name like Writer’s Block! Do it by all means but don’t do it sitting here in a vibrant club. Look at the widespread depression you have caused this evening by looking like a goat on its marching orders!’

Of course I could see his point. My inability to produce anything new was my personal problem. Why should I expect the world to mourn with me? I got up feeling better. Who knows the break of dawn might infuse some new idea in my mind! Ramblers never give up, you know! Writing about a Writer’s Block is better than not writing at all! I smile to myself.

16 people like this.

Similar Threads
    1. Cheeniya
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. PoojaShah
      Replies:
      Views:
    3. vaikhari
      Replies:
      Views:
  2. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

Ha ha ha - I can seriously visualize the Writer's Block in a Non-Categorical Writers' tribe C' :)

It was not good on your part to enter the club and spell bind the audience with your performance but non-performance :)

1 person likes this.
  3. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sir,

Writers' block? You can write on any topic that you like..both serious and hilarious!
    I gave a 'like' not for your writers block but the way you presented it and I can visualise the scene in club.
    Yesterday only I was thinking that there is no blog from you since long and waiting for something. My wish is fulfilled and as I opened my computor in the morning I saw your snippet!
    Non categorical writing as you mentioned...people like me visit this forum most than any other.
    Please do write...plenty of topics. Sit at the keyboard and your fingers would jump over words that we are waiting!
    Syamala

4 people like this.
  4. Cheeniya

Dear GG
    Thanks a lot for shedding a tear of sympathy though accompanied by a Ha Ha Ha! I wrote this specifically to impress upon people that my non-performance can be as effective as my performance! Having been in a Bank for dog's years particularly in credit related areas, I know that non-performing assets (we call them NPA in short) demand a lot more of our attention than our performing assets!
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  5. Cheeniya

My dear Syamala
    I am touched by your affection and confidence but I really wonder if affection and admiration are enough to wake me from my hibernation. You can perhaps think of the Ice Bucket treatment! Right now I am in such a state that Richard Matheson describes thus:“I'm sitting in my office trying to squeeze a story from my head. It is that kind of morning when you feel like melting the typewriter into a bar of steel and clubbing yourself to death with it"

What you say is very true. There are plenty of topics but the problem I face is the problem of plenty! The Heavens are bursting at their seams with billions of stars and planets but don't we concern ourselves with just 27 stars and nine planets? We believe that only these have some effect over us and the rest are dummies. The problem that I face is selecting an idea that will appeal to the readers.

"Sit at the keyboard and your fingers would jump over words that we are waiting!"
    That's the best thing I have heard in many years. Truly motivating! You sound almost like Jackson Brown: "Don't waste time waiting for inspiration. Just start writing and inspiration will find you."
    Sri

6. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

When there is a pressure of low returns on performing assets, automatically business interest turns to NPA's - but in the case of writing here - you are a star performer immaterial of the class of asset :)

2 people like this.
  7. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sir,

' idea appealing to readers.....'. Don't worry. Anything from your pen, sorry, keyboard would appeal to readers. I am sure of that.
    Syamala

2 people like this.
  8. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri, my good friend,

What a fascinating post! I wish IL had a category that superseded the banality of the "Like" button. I mean, why not create a "Super-Like" symbol? You know the guys in charge. I implore you to get them to create it soon. For I wish from the bottom of my heart to click on that button below "Writer's Block". I like it so much that I may drown in my emotion flooded solitude. Before you get a chance to read this.

What I like most about the post is its title. It clarifies in no unclear terms that Cheeniya considers himself a writer, as opposed to a blogger. As one reads through the post, this impression is strengthened even more, for he does keep referring to himself as a writer. Blogging is a powerful medium of expression no doubt. But it is different from writing. It's only a writer who'd use sentences like:

or

Believe me my friend, I know a writer when I read his writing. Sentences such as the above are soaked in all the literary rasams of the world. They remind me of nothing less than

And indeed, it's only a writer who knows what he means when he says:

He says it in style. Creativity at its best. And what do his readers conclude? Or, at least, what does this particular reader read into the last quoted line? He reads:

But I will control my emotions. I won't write a comment that stretches way out to the Andromeda in outer space. Instead, I will simply say, Cheeniya, good friend, be a writer and face Writer's Blocks every now and then. But be a writer by all means and not a blogger. Don't deny yourself the right to suffer the luxury of this peculiar illness. This unique illness. Don't seek a cure in blogging. Bloggers don't suffer from blocks.

'tis Nobler in the mind to suffer the Slings and Arrows of outrageous Writer's Bloc, than to put on the guise of a blogger.

A Writer's Block can be removed. It is bound to be removed. A blogger's block cannot be removed. It doesn't even exist.

oj

4 people like this.
  9. PriyaKathiravan

PriyaKathiravan Silver IL'ite

Sir,
    There was one "Writer's Block" in a police station I visited once.
    I understand you are not talking about that two room department , but about something more depressing . Only, I cannot figure out why anyone would put a whole club house into gloom just because he could not find something to write . It sounds dangerously close to symptoms of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

‘The agony of a creative mind can be understood only by another creative mind’ .
    Yes, sir. True. It escapes me completely.

I thought , only those who had made writing their livelihood would get miserable if they cannot find something to write about , because that would mean no paycheque. If people "writing for pleasure" suffer pain , it defeats the whole idea I think.

I have read Writers saying they wrote the book, because " the story was screaming inside me to be let out ....it had to be told " etcetc. So i assumed, writing was an act of release, "a catharsis" in writerly language. Like scratch the itch and be done with it. But to sit and agonise about not getting that itch is something I cannot understand at all. I certainly never pray for pricklyheat , just so that I can use " prickly heat powder" for relief.

But then, i am not a " creative mind", so what would I know ?

However, at the end of the day , you did manage to write a nice article much to the enjoyment of your Cyber followers. And much to the relief of your club friends I guess.

3 people like this.
  10. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Look who's talking? A rambler writing such a fabulous piece on Writer's block, is no writer eh? If you say so sir, if you say so. You are indeed blessed with a good group of friends it seems. Now you need to get back to that direct approach friend and ask him what he would call us, the admirers of that person who doesn't know what he is writing about. I am sure your friend will have an episode of sorts when he gets to know that there are more of those - those who think they are writing not knowing what they are writing.

But that club seems to do you good whether you are having fun or not. Like I said earlier, it must be something to do with the people you hang out there. Look at the master piece you produced. I am sure like me, all others were also enjoying, smiling, nodding their heads to your lovely snippet. You may have a writer's block but like you have recognized yourself, you have no respondent's block, like me! You mentioning that you think about what to write next about had my head spinning. I am convinced sir, go tell that friend of yours that you know some one (me) who writes just because she can feel! Oh sir, I am sure, he will next dissuade you from hanging out with us, encouraging you to spend more time with them. Don't listen to him okay.

In all seriousness sir, thought out or spontaneous, a well written snippet. After umpteen attempts to read, finally I am here. No, no it is not your writing but my time crunch. Even now as I type my response, my computer is threatening me with a shut down for some thing in three mins as I type in haste, trying to beat it for I know the spontaneity of thoughts will be lost if I wait too long ....thinking. The only thing I can tell you is, I know I will read your snippet again, as well the responses.

Welcome back with your writer's block. May the block continue to stay in place. After all we get to read such lovely pieces. Enjoyed it sir, thoroughly.

3 people like this.