1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My mum's style of parenting

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My mum takes a few drops of water in her tender palm and sprinkles it on my head chanting ‘Sri Rama rashasu’ (May Lord Rama protect you!). That is how my bath concludes every day. It has always been a tough task for my mum to drag me to my bath. My allergy for water being poured over my body is indeed phenomenal but her monumental patience always wins me over. Once in a way, there are certain deals struck between us to make me agree to a bath. These deals vary from time to time depending on my mood and her mood, of course! But the only constant feature of my bath is the ‘Sri Rama Rashasu’ finale. Whenever I ask her why she always invokes the blessing of Rama and no other God, she would just smile. It takes me several years to understand her fascination for Rama. When I persist with my question, ‘Amma! Why not Ganesh, Muruga, Krishna or Siva, why only Rama?’ she always tells me ‘I want you to be like Rama and none else’.

My mum is deeply religious. But her religious practices are of a very unobtrusive kind. Whenever her younger sister who is our neighbour threatens her mischievous son that if he does not behave properly, God will prick his eyes, my mum will immediately chide her saying that God has better work to do than pricking children’s eyes for small problems like not eating food or not doing homework! She is very firm in her belief that God must be presented to children as a great benefactor who will never punish but will gently lead children through the right path. In fact the stories that she tells me of God always fill me with awe and make me think of Him as a true friend.

My only brother is seven years elder to me and so ahead in academics by seven years. I am in my 4[SUP]th[/SUP] standard now and he will be shortly facing the school final examinations. He is indeed working very hard to come out with flying colours. When I get too playful or make noise, my dad tells me not to disturb my brother. My mum defends me saying how much I help my brother and how every evening I wash the kerosene lantern and keep it tidy for my brother to study in the night. My heart swells with pride at the way my mother sees my role in the family and makes me feel not as an irresponsible brat but as one of the important members of the family! She treats us always as equals so that there is absolutely no feeling of rivalry between us. Even if she has to scold one of us for anything wrong we commit, she does so when the other is not around.

Days roll on. I get my job as a direct recruit officer in State Bank. My brother is already in Indian Administrative Service. He is now married and has a family of his own. My wedding is now fixed and I’ll be tying the knot in just a couple of days. My mum calls me to her room and tells me that the girl I am marrying will be leaving her family to plunge into a totally new life with me for the rest of her life. She does so with the utmost trust that I’ll provide her a respectable life and be a source of all her happiness in future. “I want you to be like Lord Rama in your married life”, she concludes. I now understand the import of her constant ‘Sri Rama Rashasu’ in my childhood.

My dad is a good man but when it comes to giving my mum the due share in his life, he is perhaps found wanting. We cannot blame him. He lives in a joint family and he cannot pick out my mother for any special favours as tongues will start wagging. Even after choosing to live alone, he persists with his indifference. Old habits die hard. No wonder my mother attaches greater importance to this aspect of married life which she missed. ‘Sri Rama Rashasu’ sums it up all!

Mistt, GomathiNandha, Aria and 40 others like this.

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

sri,

I don't know the reason you have used a present tense. having heard so much about her from you and indra aunty,i could visualise the whole thing.

how well and easily she has managed things as a mother..when i do the same, that is talk to my dd about her ways with her brother or talk to ds about his ways with his sister the immediate reaction is why don't you ask or tell the other. see the difference where you just listened, my kids are querying me. so i talk to them together and tell them what and how each of them is at fault. with times parenting has evolved. gone are the days when parents could just manage with a few looks. today kids will return back double of those looks..

sri rama rakshasu indeed...

8 people like this.
  3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

On being like RAma, DS says, he could not stand up for his own wife and kids. he took umbrage under "what will people say", I am me, i am a agnostic. and poor mom that is me has to just mumble "amma thaaye kapaathu"...

5 people like this.
  4. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear Shanvy
    The point that your DS has raised is very valid and I have myself discussed this at length in an earlier rambling of mine. That is precisely the reason why I have used present tense in narrating the story of my life. My mother and her like belonged to the era when Sri Rama was accepted as an epitome of all virtues. More than anything else, His being an 'eka patni vrathan' meant a lot for the women of yore. That was a time when men considered it a big status symbol to run a parallel life and the poor wives had to just lump it. I have even heard of stories when these wives visited the houses of their husbands' paramours to invite them for family functions. Though it was an accepted privilege that men conferred upon themselves, the poor wives just burned within. In this context, Sri Rama was a dream figure for those hapless wives!

Sri Rama was pronounced as the god of all gods by the erudite pauraniks who chose to remain silent on the way Rama treated Sita post the slaying of Ravana. Our poor ladies did not have the kind of access to all the critical analysis of Rama's attitude towards his wife that the modern folks have. So in their time, Rama was the kind of husband that every woman secretly longed for-a husband who would not even look at another woman!

Parenting was easy, as you say, at the time of my mum. But then I know hundreds of cases where women of last century fostered jealousy and rivalry among their own children by showing utter partiality in bringing them up. There used to be the famous reference to 'butter on one eye and lime on the other'! My own paternal grandparents were guilty of this crime.

I agree that the modern children need a different kind of parenting. We come across so many views being expressed by our own members. I just wanted to share the brand of parenting that my mum followed. Maybe she succeeded because we loved her too much to defy her even in thoughts!
    Sri

5 people like this.
  5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Sri, i did not say parenting was easy. i was complimenting the way your mom did it. coming from a toxic parenting environ myself can definitely tell you the difference. the butter on one eye and lime on the other and that particular piece of your rambling did create choas for V closer to home because of the thoughts he expressed there.doh1 and he is still getting out of that soup!!!

parenting is never easy. it would have been equally difficult for your mom to balance the two of you as it is today. i loved the brand of parenting by your mum. and ds says he does not agree on we loved her too much to defy her even in thoughts, when i asked him the same..he says "you taught us that we can ask questions, we can discuss our feelings and never be frightened of you until we have made a mistake, just because i ask you questions does not mean we don't love you, we love you mom" and yours truly is silent and wishing if i could even have succeeded to reach that 50% of way of your mom, i am done..

3 people like this.
  6. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Loved your post.
    That brought a smile on my face.Your Mom's way of parenting indeed is most admirable.
    Some day my daughters will remember me as the mom who woke them up by sprinkling drops of water on their heads chanting...wake up wake up you are late...I over slept.

As for women wishing for a husband like Sri Rama....I always heard of women fasting on monday wishing for a husband like Lord Shiva. I did too and got a husband very close to what I wanted.

I want my daughters to marry someone like Lord Shiva...not Like Sri Rama.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
    5 people like this.
  7. BHAVNAM6

BHAVNAM6 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

I could sense the essence of your mom's tender love,affection and purity of heart.

It seems like she lived with all virtues and values effortlessly....!!

That speaks volume about her noble character..!!

And she is so fortunate having you as her son.
    You have given a beautiful touch to each and every emotion of hers by your excellent writing.
    To the point that I feel,breathe and enjoy as much as you do about your mom's wonderful qualities.....!!!

love,
    Bhavna

2 people like this.
  8. FromMars

FromMars Gold IL'ite

You mean, with one wife sitting on his head and another wife sharing the half of his body?

9. coolwinds

coolwinds Platinum IL'ite

lovely. blessed are those who are born into loving and secure families.

2 people like this.
  10. sneha10

sneha10 Senior IL'ite

Love your post....
    This reminds me of my grand mother who always used to bless me by sprinkling water after my bath....
    Lord rama was the ideal of all according me... I secretly even wished for a husband like Rama who is least interested in other woman and i can say with the prayers of my parents and the blessings of my grandmother who is an ardent devotee of Lord Rama i got someone like him...
    Indeed a very nice post !