1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The vintage love

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Vintage Love

It is a great pity that in the name of progress many cities have become concrete jungles. Huge trees are being axed mercilessly to accommodate high rise buildings. Intensive deforestation is driving away wild animals deep into the forests or making them endangered species. Take Chennai for example. In my school days, tiny sparrows outnumbered the crows and they always could be seen constantly chattering unlike the crows which cawed only at meal time or to forewarn us about the possible arrival of a guest. If I see a sparrow today, I call my grandchildren to have a look at them. I even remember an old Tamil film song in which the heroine confides in a sparrow of her anguish about her husband who has not returned home. (Chittu kuruvi, chittu kuruvi sedhi teriyuma?) In another movie, the heroine is very suggestive in revealing her thoughts about her lover singing about the sparrows engaged in kissing and making love. (Chittu kuruvi mutham kuduthu sernthida kandene!) Inspired by the love making capabilities of the tiny sparrows, I even remember a famous quack from Palani striking it rich by making an aphrodisiac called ‘Chittu kuruvi lehiyam’!

The threat of extinction of animals like cheetah, Javan rhino, tiger, blue whale and the like does not bother me as much as the depletion in the population of sparrows. You may be wondering about my special liking for the tiny sparrows. I shall, therefore, come to the point straightaway instead of digressing further as is my wont. When I was very young and fit enough to fall in and out of love, sparrows used to be a great inspiration. They were like a free and viable substitute for the love birds. It used to be fun watching them communicating love to each other. While these romantic birds preferred to sit on the branch of a quiet tree for exchanging sweet nothings, the human lovers too had a great preference for trees, not for perching on the tree tops but for running around them. I remember vividly how lovers who never ran around trees but confined themselves to the beach or restaurants were always looked down upon. That was a time when movies of Tarzan who specialized in hopping from tree to tree with his Jane were in great demand.

We always sat spellbound watching bulky heroes and equally bulky heroines running around trees singing some full-throated songs without a trace of strain. When I once asked an experienced friend of mine about how these people could run around trees without panting, he told me that it was the effect of love they felt for each other. He pointed out that it was more effective in keeping people healthy than all the multivitamin tablets! It is a great pity that such familiar scenes of the 1960’s could be seen only in black and white movies or movies in faded ‘geva colour’.

Just as the effect of the changing landscape on love, age also has a pronounced effect on the way love is felt and communicated. In youth, love is more action-packed. In the famous movie, ‘My fair lady’, the heroine Elisa Dolittle, who was once a flower vendor but got transformed into an awesome society belle` thanks to the efforts of Prof.Higgins, tells the vagabond Freddy who keeps bragging about his love for her to stop talking. She is extremely fierce when she exhorts him,
    ‘Don’t talk of stars burning above,
    If you’re in love show me!’
    Talking was the life line of love stories in those days even among youngsters unlike today. When the lovers get married and with the efflux of time, love is replaced by a strong feeling of companionship. All the talking gets replaced by an intense feeling for each other and the heart is filled with deep concern for each other. This concern is beautifully portrayed by the late Sanjeev Kumar in the 1976 movie, Arjun Pandit, which centers around the travails of an old man who is forced to live away from his wife to suit the convenience of children.

Recently I came across a moving episode of an old man and his wife while browsing through the web. This old man comes to a hospital to have some sutures removed and appears to be in a mighty hurry. He becomes increasingly restless as the time ticks by. A medico takes pity on him and offers to get him reviewed immediately. As the medico removes the sutures, he asks the man who is around 80+ the cause for his hurry. The old man replies that he has a breakfast appointment with his wife in another half an hour in a nursing home where she is lodged. When the medico asks him about the nature of her ailment, the old man reveals that she is suffering from Alzheimer’s disease and cannot recognize anyone including himself. The surprised medico asks him if she cannot recognize him, why should he hurry to keep up his breakfast engagement with her. The old man replies with a smile, ‘She cannot recognize me yes but I can recognize her’.

This is the quintessence of love which may have had its humble beginning in running around trees but when it transcends from the physical to the spiritual, it reaches a sublimity that defies words.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    1 person likes this.

2. indhusri

indhusri Bronze IL'ite

Re: Just some love talk!

Dear Cheeniya sir ,
    The cute little sparrows are lovable love-birds ! I agree with you . Even its melodious voice is romantic unlike crows which are selfish enough to shout only for food ! Its a pity , in this kaliyuga , unity is not seen even among crows which are praised for unity normally ! (kalikaalam..hmmm.)

- in the old movies , the hero & heroine need not know dance movements –which is the only (! ) qualification needed these days ! – its enough they are just capable of running around the trees enthusiastically !
    – yes , love has the power of transforming dullness into enthusiasm , weakness into extra energy , sadness into happiness etc, etc… Read it somewhere ! :hide:Don’t mistake me , please !

What a caring husband he is ! His heart must be full of nothing but love for his dear wife ! Poor lady – not in condition to enjoy his abundant love ! ( is it a fiction or a real –life incident ? )
    From ‘chittu kuruvi ‘ to spiritual love - whatever you write is a great feast to us , sir ! :hatsoff to you !
    Regards ,
    Indhu.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2008
  3. Cheeniya

Dear Indhu
    It is so flattering to me that you read my threads with such intensity and comment on them so benevolently. It is no exaggeration if I tell you that I look forward to your FBs and they make me feel special!

Coming to the little sparrows, I miss them badly. We are all only too familiar with the terms 'endangered species' 'extinct animals' etc but within my life time, I have seen thousands of sparrows, that made our surrounding so delightfully musical and alive, have deserted my city and vanished without a trace.

The story of that old man and his intense love for his ailing wife is hopefully a true one. It is strange that when we hear of such people, we tend to ask first if the story is real. Obviously such intense love is confined only to fiction!
    Sri

4. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Cheeniyasir,

It is indeed 'a many splendoured thing', isn't it?? I am talking of your blog here. What a simple and strong way to remind us that Sept 21st is World Alzheimers Day. And the best weapon against Alzheimers and dimentia is love. Love in its pristine form- unconditional, undemanding, unrequited. You have reminded us of what is important in life with a page of virtual space.

For many of us Trivandrumites, the fact/fiction that you have narrated in the last para is the daily story of a couple, that we watch with learning and humility. I am talking of the unassuming, elderly mama who heads the dimentia support foundation here, and whose wife is down with this ailment. He continues to keep her dry, warm and loved, included in all social functions, and still finds time to counsel families of dimentia patients in and around TVM. I describe this here cos this person has two nieces and a grand niece who are very active in IL. I thought even if his name is not mentioned, I should still say a tribute to him and his mission in this column and occasion.

Fain and Webster sang that 'love is a many splendoured thing' And how true that is. Somehow, I love the association between the humble, brown, nondescript sparrow and its fortifying powers in stimulating the emotion and other aspects of love.Moi, associated love with more vibrant avians like the swan, peacock or love birds. Recently, Ramji and I watched an old Tamil movie in which K.R Vijaya and Sivaji pranced round a tree, not a hair out of place, not a pant to be heard- I now realise that love must have lent them light feet and hearts!! And robust vocal cords!! I do love watching Genelia and a tall Jeyam Ravi gyrating in technicolor, but the sepia tinted black and white reel had more real to its love.

And how rightly, you chalk the progression of love from puppy to calf to daily to mundane to classic. Surely spoken like one who has been blessed with an abundance of it in his lifetime. As we mature, as our hormones stabilise, love also undergoes alchemy. It is easy to love a young lady of 25 with wavy hair, slim figure, dancing eyes and an ambition to boot. But it takes a special heart to love her when she is plump at 40, menopausal at 55, and maybe dead and gone at 60. Ah, to be blessed with such love would be the dream of every woman and wife.

When I visit your sub forum, I always know that there will be something to read, something to enjoy, something to learn and something to reminsce. This blog is again a sterling example. Way to go, Cheeniyasir.

regards
    Vidya

5. Cheeniya

My dear Vidya
    An awesome FB really!
    Last year on the Alzheimer’s Day, I attended a speech by a renowned ‘Headshrinker’, as Wodehouse would call them, at a Rotary Club Meeting. It was a usual 20-minute meeting where the speakers would be forewarned that there was no problem if they exceeded the time limit except that the members had the option to leave the Speaker to himself! Thus warned, the Doctor made a brief but a moving speech about the travails of the Alzheimer patients or to be precise their near and dear ones. Unlike in other ailments, Alzheimer patients would require delicate and patient handling. They will be in a world of their own and can be as inscrutable as a new born. The only palliative for the Alzheimer patients who suffer a lot without knowing anything about it is an abundant supply of love and concern as we saw in my thread. I mentioned this episode in my thread without a direct reference to the Alzheimer’s Day for the reason that the people who happen to be administering to the unexpressed needs of Alzheimer patients should never become aware even inadvertently that they are serving these special people.

I can relate to the person in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City><st1:place>Trivandrum</st1:place></st1:City> that you are referring to. I have come across a couple of them in Chennai who deal with a similar situation, namely a wife who suffers from dementia and cannot just remember anything. It is such a heart-warming scene to see them showering the ailing partners with so much of love that it makes us think that if that kind of love would be the reward, it would certainly be worthwhile to be a victim of Alzheimer’s. In an age when cheating and betrayal of partners in life are becoming rampant, it is so reassuring to see such caring husbands and wives particularly when the partner lives in a world of his/her own. They are like an oasis in a vast desert of arid hearts.

Of all the versions of “Love is a many splendored thing”, my greatest favourite is the one sung by Nat King Cole. With the perfect voice to suit the mood d’ amor, he has rendered many such lilting songs like The Autumn Leaves and The Day We were Wed. But the running around the trees and such acrobatic acts are essentially the unique features of oriental love making. I wouldn’t even say ‘oriental’ as immortal directors like Akira Kurosawa might turn uncomfortably in their graves!

Love really touches its peak when it is time to part from the world!
    Sri

6. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sri mama,

Sorry for my loooooooooong absence in your threads. I know if I try to give any reason also it will sound very false. So I rest my case.

Indha Kuruvi is such a wonderful bird....when we were young, it used to always fly in and out of our house, building nests insides our rooms and the young ones coming out and their chirping it was soooo lovely. But I have not seen these birds at all for some time thanks to the concrete jungle Bangalore can now boast of. Gone are the days when it used to called as Garden city and we used to swell in pride. I happened to see these kuruvis in Port Blair and my younger one was surprised to see them perching on our balcony and eating the rice offered to crows. Occasionally one or two flying inside. Days have come when we have to show these little darlings in charts and pictures to our future gen.

I also happended to read about the couple you have mentioned and was literally moved. The young age love between a couple is more of physical attraction, as the age advances it matures into understanding and companionship. I would say shastiabdha poorthi as the real marriage because they would have seen other beyond physical intimacy and would have understood companionship as the key to the sucess of marriage and love.

Love as such sould not be demanding nor should something be expected in return. Love is a divine feeling which has to be experienced and just Drowning. Why should we Witsend in enquiring about the secrets of Love. Let's flow with the river of love and just get Drowning. Enna sollarell?

7. meenu

meenu Bronze IL'ite

Dear vidya /Cheenia,
    Vid, your mention of my chithappa in trivandrum and thoughtful PM giving me the link brought me here. Yes indeed the person you mentioned is none other than my paternal uncle Mr. T K Radhamony. My parents are next door to him and I am blessed to be closely related to him. In fact while in trvm everyday I spend at least two hours with him and am flabbergasted by the meticulous care he takes of his wife who has been like this for over 5 years. In fact the visiting doctors, religious heads and others who had given her six months two years back now believe that his care and concern is adding days to her life.TKR is over 75 years and the books he reads on dementia is countless. In fact he is a vast ocean of practical experience and many doctors seek his aid with patients. Every member of my family visits the centre they have started and contributes financially for the betternment of the home. In fact there are many people in trivandrum whom he has motivated into celebrating functions and ceremonies by helping the needy.In fact my daughters friend is a regular NRI dcontributor. More than the money his urge to be when needed unassumingly and unhesitatingly is the crowning glory. I bow my head in utmost reverence and regard for my uncle.In these days when people are speaking of Good and bad karmas he is a shining example of what a parent should give his family as a legacy.I am sure he and his children will have a special place with God. My eyes are just brimming with tears, so let me stop'. Thank you. vidya for mentioning him.You have honoured our family.
    Regards,
    meenu

Last edited: Sep 22, 2008
  8. Lalitha Shivaguru

Dear Meenu,

Hats off to your chittappa. It is real very rare that we find diamonds like these. It is really a great honour for us to know about him here. I just admire these kind of people dear. Blessed is your chitthi to have this kind of love and care.

My pray for their happiness and togetherness always.

Thanks vidya for bring this to our eyes.

9. Cheeniya

Dear LS
    Chennai has now several multiplexes but during my college days, there was only one called the Safire Complex. It had three theatres, Safire, Blue Diamond and Emerald. Blue Diamond was quite a hit with students because it was the only theatre in the city to have continuous shows from 11A.M. You could purchase a ticket and get into the theatre anytime and get out anytime. You could even sit from 11A.M. to midnight and watch the movie any number of times! Seeing its popularity the Leo of the MIdland group copied it. My sub forum is like Blue Diamond. You can walk in any time and stay as long as you want. No need to offer any explanation for not coming in. I know that one needs to have both time and inclination to spend time here. When you have time, you may not have the inclination and vice versa!

Incidentally, when someone gets drowned in the river of love, he is not going to pop up once in a way shouting for help as your smiley shows! Enna solre?

Married life is like wine or an antique. The older it gets, the more valuable it becomes. I have seen husbands in their eighties ruing over all the fights they had with their wives when they were young!
    Sri

10. Lalitha Shivaguru

Dear Mama,

Gud examples you give. Inclination ennomo nariyave irrukku anna...... seri adha vidingo.

Neenga solradhu correct dhan, I will search for a smiley like that totally drowned apprum alle theriyadhe..........enna panradhu. Indha smiley la andha allu thanodai mugham thai kattaran .... In love if we drowned also we are still alive dhana.... ena sollarell