1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A room with a view!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Room with a view!

This is about a fastidious colleague of mine. I had traveled quite a lot with him on official duty and each time, he made me feel like a pig that had managed to escape from its sty and steal a ride with him! The most horrid part of my experience with him would be the train journey. First he would secure his suitcase with a thick chain and a lock that would easily pass the test at Fort Knox. There was nothing wrong per se about being cautious but what would be most embarrassing were his loud remarks about the level of honesty and integrity in our country. After locking up his belongings, he would give everyone around a triumphant look as if to convey that he had them cornered there and that they must look elsewhere for their booty! The unkindest cut of all would be his joke that ‘Many a man is saved from being a thief by finding everything locked up’!

When the attendant of the coach delivered the bedding paraphernalia, he would pick up the blanket with his left hand as if it was the carcass of a rat that died a fortnight back while the right would be employed in closing his massive nostrils and hand it back to the attendant. He would go on to say how one of his friends contracted some incurable skin disease like psoriasis and what have you after using a railway blanket just once. He would further say that he would approach the consumer forum for making it mandatory for the Railways to print a warning, similar to the ones that appeared on cigarette packs and liquor bottles, on all the railway blankets with also the information about when they were last washed. He would then subject the bed sheets to a thorough scrutiny to see if they have been washed, starched and ironed for use. If there was any indication that they came as an untouched legacy from the previous user, he would become a Chinese Dragon breathing fire and brimstone.

When we checked into a hotel, he would ask for a ‘room with a view’. At my first tryst with him, I asked him if he had read that novel by E.M.Forster when he asked for a room with a view and he gave me a blank look. That was my first and last attempt to strike a literary conversation with him! He hated rooms that had windows facing the hotel corridor. He preferred rooms that had a commanding view of the city or the sea or mountains depending upon where they were located. He always said that nothing could be more exhilarating than an uninterrupted view of at least a hundred kilometers of Mother Earth. Once inside the room, he would make a beeline to the toilet to assess how clean it was. He would be satisfied on seeing a strip of paper stuck on the toilet seat saying that the closet has been sanitized for our protection. He would then lift the receiver to check if the phone was in working order. He would then turn his attention to all the electrical fittings to see if they were in proper working condition. The last item on his agenda would be the TV. He would flip through all the channels to make sure that nothing was amiss.

After a few outings with him, it dawned on me why my other colleagues always avoided a trip with him. It was probably the fact that my tolerance level was the highest on this side of the equator that weighed with my management to team me with him every time. He practised untouchability of such severity as existed during the British colonial days when he shared a room with me. He always ensured that I had access to the bathroom only after he finished with all his morning chores. I still recall with horror his reaction on one occasion on finding that I had used the bathroom ahead of him. He rushed out of the bathroom immediately and asked me if any of the hotel buffalos had calved there! After that stinging remark, I always preferred to clutch my tummy and crouch in a corner until he was through with the bathroom!

I was soon transferred out of the city as was our custom in the Bank. This colleague of mine bade me farewell and suggested that if I ever happened to come to that place again, I should be his guest. After a few days, it so happened that I had to make a trip to that place to resolve some pending issues. I had told my friend that I would be staying in his house for a night. When I reached his flat near the railway track, it was late in the night. He was very hospitable indeed and after ensuring that I had a decent meal with him, he ushered me into my allotted room. His bed looked like a miniature battlefield which he blamed on his children. One look at the blanket and I decided to brave the wintry night without it. The window in my room had a view of the rail track.

When it was dawn, I had a good look at the room allotted to me. Cobweb covered the entire ceiling with a link to most of the fittings in the room as if it was some kind of a mini wired city. I opened the window to look outside and could see hundreds of slum dwellers living in the nearby slum converting the expansive railway yard into the world’s largest toilet. I noticed that most of them had covered their faces like the bandits of Chambal Valley to escape any risk of being identified by the passengers in the speeding trains! I closed the window instantly and moved to the toilet. The moment I stepped in, I was in a supine position thanks to the slippery floor. For no reason, I recollected Neil Armstrong’s famous words, ‘A short step for man but a giant leap for mankind’!

I then realised why my friend was so fastidious whenever he traveled and why he always demanded a ‘Room with a view’!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
    sindmani, mikku and shyamala1234 like this.

2. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Cheeniyasir

Caught this warm and fragrant out of the oven as soon as it was posted. And as promised to you, had to send in my fb.

I liked this piece. Peeves apart, it sketches the obsession of a man who obviously lacks all that he craves for. Some order, security, hygiene, a good view----well, these are all things that we all yearn for. However,not all of us cope with not having all this, in the same manner. Some like RK Laxman's 'The common Man' would watch over his situation in stoic silence and acceptance. Others might work towards alleviating the conditions. And yet others, like your 'friend' would obsesss and gripe over what he does not have. And worse still, can probably not aspire to have.

Classic example- moi. Out of IL on a self imposed exile that would do BB proud, and all I can do is obsesss over the site, and what my friends and others are posting.

I think people like your friend help us to distinguish between words like 'hope', 'faith' and 'cynicism' better. These are just meanings that I am imputing from the back of my head.Faith is placing belief on a premise that things will get better. Hope is betting that one needs to be optimistic, but things could go better or worse or stay the same. And cynicism is the staunch grouch that things would remain alarmingly the same or if possible, get worse.

And yet in all these futuristic sentiments, we find a underlying wistful longing, 'if only things would just get a wee bit better---'

However, a situation like your friend's could also turn a person more appreciative. When our Bombay relatives visit TVM, they cant stop marvelling at the jasmine bush at our doorstep (hush the fact that it yields just ten flowers a year). They cant stop admiring the 'nativeness', the ruggedness of the small town paths and people's ways- it quite helps us to see our rural life with the dung and critters very differently.

Well, in the end all that matters is how we cope with what we dont have. How we accept the fact that our room opens into the neighbouring warehouse's graffiti ridden high- wall or whether it mentally opens into a lovely graden---.To each his own.

Read in an earler blog that you are worried over dwindling readership. I personally would feel that a classic writer like you would always have readers. They may be fit and many, or fit but few. Remember, a genuine FB, not one that is solicited, not one that is hyped- such a FB always means more. When a writer tries not to become extra visible, the readers will always love and respond to the silent power of his words and mind.

And that you will always have.

affly
    Vidya

PS: Have always maintained that your blogs are a learning experience. Here I learnt a simple psychological fact that I should not crave for what I dont have. And then, I checked the spelling of 'obsess' and gosh, it is spelt with three 's'. Am I seeing things right or is that the real way it is spelt, as I read after all these years????

1 person likes this.
  3. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri,
    Yet another "piece de resistance" from you, if I can say so - with humour just "overflowing" (yet another, if I may say so!).
    First thing first.
    I cannot disagree more with your statement

my tolerance level was the highest on this side of the equator

Yes, yes, yes! No wonder, you were chosen to bear the brunt of "enjoying his company" every time!!
    The way you described, that the man made it appear that others should look out for their booty elsewhere, made, hilarious reading.
    Poor man, was looking out for things or conditions, sadly lacking in his house!!
    I am also reminded of a blog of mine - Home Sweet Home - where i had written that people insist that only if things are casual (read "messy") in their houses, they feel "at home".
    I cannot agree more with Vidya's words

Remember, a genuine FB, not one that is solicited, not one that is hyped- such a FB always means more. When a writer tries not to become extra visible, the readers will always love and respond to the silent power of his words and mind.

Thoroughly enjoyable, Sri! That Vidya, silent for some time, has come to offer her Fb shows that we cannot resisit doing some things in life!!
    Great post from you.
    Equally great FB from her!!
    Love,
    Chithra.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  4. Cheeniya

My dear Vidya
    When we open the window and see graffiti ridden high walls and yet our minds can reach beyond them and lead us into a lovely garden like what Abdul Kalaam nurtured so lovingly to be enjoyed by his successor, what more can one ask for? The secret of happiness, I guess, lies not in the external environment but in our state of mind with regard to our environment. If our heart is filled to the brim with negative emotions, even the Flower Valley of the Himalayas will fail to soothe our bruised souls. And when we are brimming with joyful thoughts, every thing will look beautiful indeed. All sounds will be music to our ears.

Unfortunately, today the all-important thing is not the state of the Mind but the ambience or the state of the environment. People tend to connect happiness with bigger and better gadgets and a higher standard of living. The philosophy of life is not any more based on the classic principles of devotion or an aristocratic upbringing. The unscrupulous copy writers of corporate advertisements push us further into an abyss and make us as discontented with what we have as would make their products eminently desirable. The manner in which the multinationals target the Indian middle class is sure to leave everyone wanting something or other and consequently in eternal debts.

Your thought provoking FB has made me ramble further on a subject that I view with a lot of concern namely the increasing indebtedness of middle class families. It is true that I felt initially a bit down with the sharp decrease in my readership but after reading your fabulous FB, I feel highly rewarded indeed. If my threads can elicit such FBs, is that not reason enough for me to continue writing? In fact, I love my interactions in my forum and it has created in me a strong feeling of togetherness.

I remain in the evening of my life watching the greying sky with awe. I know that eventually the dark sky will bring out stars like you to gladden my heart and make me contented.
    Sri

sindmani and mikku like this.
  5. Cheeniya

Dear Chithra
    Your calling my thread a 'piece de resistence' is like being called Brahmarishi by Vasishta!
    Thank you very much for your generosity!
    Why can't you disagree more with my statement about my tolerance? Do you think I am very intolerant? You want me to say 'I can't tolerate such statements being made about me' so that you can say 'Gotcha!"?
    Your blog on 'Home sweet home' was all about me!
    I totally agree with you that it was a great FB from Vidya.
    Sri

6. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

When the attendant of the coach delivered the bedding paraphernalia, he would pick up the blanket with his left hand as if it was the carcass of a rat that died

I then realised why my friend was so fastidious whenever he traveled and why he always demanded a ‘Room with a view’!

Dear Cheeniya sir

When I started reading this hilarious post, the first thing that came to mind was how tolerant you have been -- first it was Nachu and now this colleague--hope no one else had given you a hard time. But I guess Chitvish knows you better when she says she disagrees with that statement-- I will have to trust her on that.

His act of securing the luggage with a thick chain made me recollect the scene where Madhaven does that in NaLa Dhamayanthi.

For the life of me, I din't understand why he wouldn't bring his own blanket from home. After reading the last part, I understood why--may be he never washed his own linens.

Sir, enjoyed this hilarious post on a beautiful sun. morning.

Words of Wisdom, especially loved the first para. I hesitated to write for the fear of falling short of words after your post and the lovely FB's, but thought I will write anyway.

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

sri,

A very tolerant blog!!!!!!!.

Just peeped into IL and what do I find, a blog on a man who tried to satisfy a craving for the best of everything due to lacking it otherwise, a beautiful FB from V24 (coming out of her exile.) and a title piece de resistance from chithmam.

now just wondering what to write here...

I have come across few people who are like your colleague and I quite did not understand the reason for it for a long time.

When i saw the title i thought it was something in the line of Room on the roof by ruskin bond.

We used to have a family friend, who used to always brag about himself so much, that sometimes, it was so irritating..later we knew that he never got recognition or praise at home, that he got into the mode of self boasting.

Maybe human mind always craves for the things that are not in its reach, and forget the happiness and contentment that is achievable from within.

8. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya,

I am also visiting IL after quite sometime....and glad to have a hearty laugh at this article. Well i think i too know some such people who think they are squeaky clean and perfect etc etc....but it was a good ending with what you had written about his own house and the conditions there! Hilarious with your usual touch of sense of humour!:rotfl
    It feels good to be back typing in a few words, though my hand still hurts!
    Will get back with a bang and write fbs to all that i missed!:cheers:thumbsup

9. Cheeniya

Dear Usha
    When you say 'Maybe he never washed his own linens' reminds me of a colleague of mine who is no more. He was such an adorably flamboyant guy that it was difficult not to get drawn to him. Once he undertook a foreign travel for a couple of months. His idea was to hitchhike as much as possible so that he could cover as many places as possible within his shoe-string budget. I went to see him off at the airport where I observed him with just a shoulder bag. When I asked him if he had already checked his baggage in, he replied that he had no other baggage! This stunned me because that bag was just large enough to accommodate enough clothing for a couple of days. When I told him that he would stink wearing unwashed clothes, he promptly answered that it was not his problem. His reasoning was that no one would ever be aware of his own stink!

I am raking my brain about why I have been branded intolerant by one of the most tolerant ILites! Hope I find an answer!

Why this hesitation to write a FB, Usha? We are not vying for a Booker Prize here. We are all just friends sharing our thoughts and experiences with each other. Period.
    Sri

10. Cheeniya

Dear Shanthi
    You would hardly believe that The Room on the Roof was the first novel of Ruskin Bond. The view that the young lad of the novel has of the town of Dehra is what I meant by the state of mind playing a large role in our assessment of our surroundings. Thank you for reminding me of this novel.

People who brag a lot about themselves are attention-starved. This creates a fear in them that whatever they do may go unnoticed if they do not talk about it. They hardly realise that it is their constant bragging that comes in the way of their getting due attention. A vicious circle one would say!

If our happiness comes out of external things, that happiness must be a lasting one but it is not so! One good example is the habit of changing mobile phones almost on a monthly basis!
    Sri