1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

To hell with physical fitness!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The human body, my family doctor told me as I was driving him back to his house after his routine visit to examine my nonagenarian mother, had been built to last a hundred years. If you don't abuse it, the chances are that you'll outlive your contemporaries. Give it reasonably good nourishment, rid yourself of all tensions, an hour of good physical activity like walking, and total abstention from all toxic substances like alcohol and tobacco will certainly enable you to reach the magical three figure. He went on and on about the merits and demerits of various things we normally did in our day-to-day life.

Like everyone else I too want to live for a hundred years. For what, you may ask me. ‘What is it that you are going to achieve in the remaining 36 years that you have not been able to accomplish during the prime of your life’, will be your next question. I will dismiss your questions as merely esoteric and not germane to the subject that I have taken up for discussion.

So, coming back to my doctor's advice, I could at once see that I was definitely abusing my body. I had always considered my digestive system as some kind of a super machine that transformed all the trash that I was stuffing it with into something highly nutritious. The trash included a lot of toxic substances mostly imported from Scotland under the Government's liberalised import policy by my good friend Ahmed, generous helpings of fried wonders, mountains of ice-creams with or without nuts but always covered by hot chocolate, pickles and jams. And I had been shunning all forms of physical activity as I always considered it essential to keep my feet up in order to enjoy my Scotch better.

But after listening to my family medico, the scales fell from my eyes and I decided to change my lifestyle completely. I told my good friend Ahmed to stay away from me and not to tempt me with the latest arrivals. When the trays bearing fried marvels and mouth-watering desserts were brought to me, I struck the famous pose of Viswamithra banishing Menaka. I set the alarm to go off at 4.30 a.m. and went for brisk morning walks. I could see that I was getting physically fitter by the day but less and less popular with my friends.

I had nothing to contribute in the fellowship meetings due to lack of spirit and I found myself becoming the subject matter of all jokes in the club. The sound of fried marvels being crushed by hungry mouths, working furiously at them, was becoming increasingly unbearable like a sheet of iron being scratched by a sharp nail. My eyes filled with tears as yummy desserts passed right under my nose. It all looked very deliberate as formerly all noise levels of munching were kept to the barest minimum and the desserts found their way to the consumer by the most direct route and not via my nose and hungry eyes! To top it all, Ahmed, who always regarded me as the most venerated figure north of the Equator, started shunning me as if I was something the cat had brought in. I suddenly realised that I wanted to live upto a hundred only to continue my joyful existence and not to shun it and become an ascetic.

The scales fell from my eyes for a second time. Soon the lightest early morning drizzle gladdened my heart as it meant giving up my morning walk for the day.
    Oh, it's nice to get up in the mornin',
    But it's nicer to lie in bed.
    To hell with physical fitness!

7 people like this.

2. chitrajan

chitrajan Bronze IL'ite

Dear Sri,

As usual you have interspersed your writings with humour but I really liked the underlying thought in it. I suddenly realised that I wanted to live upto a hundred only to continue my joyful existence and not to shun it and become an ascetic.

It is a pity that many of us dont realise how to enjoy life and can I add that many on the way become KAs.

From today morning, I have been enjoying a hearty laugh in the office over anything and everything and your write up was the icing on the cake. I still have not recovered from it and am leaving my office with the biggest grin on my face in recent months.

Also glad to note that your have heeded the true calling of your spirits. :)wink: ) I just love your articles. Great going!!! :yes:

3. Cheeniya

Dear Chitra
    A joyful countenance is the most endearing expression of all! Havent you seen that when we see someone wearing a broad grin, we tend to smile too? I'm sure that you set many a face asmile ,if I may use such a word, on your way back home. Even at the level of infants, we tend to get drawn to eversmiling kids whereas constantly crying children keep us away!
    Nice to see a kindred soul here. That makes me doubly happy!
    sri

4. mahila

mahila New IL'ite

haha cheeniya sir ,
    you excelled here as usual. freed me completely from guilt too .i never do exercises and when my peers warn me about the dire future,i just turn a deaf ear.
    but still feel guilty as hell and promise to myself that i will at least start walking from tomorrow. Alas that tomorrow never came till now . Now reading your post made me glad and absolved me of guilt.
    thanks and three cheers to lazy people.may our tribe grow reading your posts.
    mahila

5. chitrajan

chitrajan Bronze IL'ite

Dear Sri,

I am not able to send a PM to you. Why?

6. abhatv

abhatv Senior IL'ite

Hello Cheeniya Sir,

Wow! Such a grand post and that too on physial fitness - a subject which I too take up occasionally, let our Vidya not hear(read) about this as I understand that she enjoys working out.

You see, on the matter of diet, I take it up srictly in the mornings, dwindle a little by afternoon and by evening I am ready to eat anything(veg). Again by dinner time I would recall what all I ate during the day, remember that I am on a diet and start again.

However on a serious note, I would like you to stick to at least half of the things that you started on physical fitness and live till 100 years and more because many of us have so much of affection for you. I am sure that all ILites would agree with me.

Regards,

Abha.

7. Cheeniya

Dear Mahila
    The very idea of this post of mine is to make people realise that not walking is not a crime but feeling guilty about it is!
    Let no one accuse me of holding a torch for the icecream and pastry manufactures!
    And as you say, may our tribe increase!
    Sri

8. Cheeniya

Ah Abha my dear!
    I feel truly touched by your affection. And what a remarkable sense of humour you have! I have never heard of this hourly fluctuations in dieting before! You made me laugh there!
    The purpose is to be happy! I am a supporter of Oscar Wilde's theory that the best to way to resist temptation is to yield to it!
    Come on board Abha!
    Sri

9. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya,

So at last u decided to post it again, thanx. Nice post yeah sometime it's really difficult to control our mind, give up what we like. I luv eating pizza but due to i'm overweight my hubby always reminds me how bad for me to eat pizza. But sometime to hell, if i'm putting on weight.

C'mon life is really very short & if we don't enjoy it our way then what's the use:2thumbsup:

10. Cheeniya

Dear Cheer
    Not eating what we want to and thinking about it wistfully all day long can be more detrimental to our feeing of well being than eating the stuff and forget about it!
    As a corollary, I subscibe to the fact that eating what we are not supposed to eat doesnt kill us but feeling guilty after eating it is the lethal component of what we eat stealthily!
    sri