1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ideal language to communicate with God

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Apr 1, 2007.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

In what language do you usually speak to God ? Presumably in your mother tongue. If you are Don Camillo, you would speak to Him in Italian. Don Camillo's daily chats with Christ about his encounters with the Communist mayor Peppone are really very candid affairs and very warm too.

Take me for instance. I follow the dual language policy. I use Sanskrit in praising the Lord with a thousand names or in invoking His Divine presence in my religious rites. I use Tamil, which is my mother tongue, in pouring out my problems to Him and seeking a thousand favours from Him.

I have no doubt that millions of people follow this dual language policy obviously for two reasons. First, God has no problems with languages. He is the greatest linguist ever known. He speaks and understands all the spoken and unspoken languages of not only humans but of every living being. Secondly, I have my limitation with Sanskrit which is considered the official medium of communicating with Him by the Hindus. So I have to speak to Him in the language known to me and in which I can communicate with Him effectively whenever I seek His Divine intervention in matters affecting me.

Let us, for example, consider a situation in which my business is running into rough weather and my creditors are bugging me. So I make a bee-line to Him with a long fervent appeal and what do you think I should do? Explain to Him my predicament in the language in which I can eloquently communicate or translate my appeal into chaste Sanskrit and recite to Him? In doing so, I may have to enlist the services of a renowned Sanskrit pundit and he, in turn, will take his rightful place in the long queue of my creditors with his bill for professional services rendered. Being aware that He knows Tamil as well as Sanskrit, I'm sure you'll select option number one, that of speaking to Him in a language that comes naturally to you which will be invariably your mother tongue.

This does not mean that you have to have recourse to your mother tongue in all your dealings with Him. Sometimes you may not have any favour to seek from Him except His abundant blessings. Or may be you just want to praise Him and build up your goodwill with Him. The action I'll recommend is to use the time honoured method of sticking to Sanskrit because a literal translation of the words of praise from Sanskrit to Tamil or any other language may not sound so solemn. The solemnity infact comes out of your ignorance of the language.
    In communicating with Him in Sanskrit, you may not know the meaning of what you tell Him. But He does. In fact, the language He understands most and simply loves is the silent one that comes straight from your heart!

1 person likes this.

2. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya,

This one is the best. You have spoken the lingo ofthe heart.

Though I do not understand a word of Sanskrit, I prefer to pray in the Deva bhashai. Then I realised that I do not know the meaning of most of the words. So, I switched over to Malayalam and Tamil. Now, I have realised that language of the tongue does not matter. God is the repository of all languages and tongues. I may not understand the Sanskrit, but God does. And also, I am a child of God. Even my mispronounciation is like a lisp to Her (quoted from His Holiness The Jeer).

Am reminded of a song in Kaanada to Murugan,
    'aayiram raagangal paadinalum, athmavin ragathay ketpavanae'
    (though we may sing a thousand ragas, Murugan hears only the raga of the soul)

This is the best ever Cheeniya. You rock and roll!

regards
    Vidya

3. Cheeniya

Dear Vidya
    You make me believe that I can write!
    It means a lot to me! Self-motivation is the best but as one grows older and older, when self-motivation becomes increasingly difficult, it's the motivation from outside that keeps the creative mind well-nourished.
    Six decades of an action packed life have left me with a lot of things to share and if I am able to pass them on in a readable form, credit should go to the encouragement that I receive from the likes of you!
    As the divine composer Thyagaraja sang,
    'Entharo mahanubhavulu, antiriki vandanamu'!
    Sri

4. vivbass

vivbass Gold IL'ite

hello cheeniya,
    nice post,:2thumbsup: no need for the language v can simply sit & close our eyes, think him pray (in meditation mode)defl'y he'll answer our prayer,if sometimes if i feel very sad,i'll do like this & get relief or sometimes direct dialogue delivery in mother tongue or scold him for not answering my prayer,as lord ganesha(pulls,pet name for him:mrgreen:) is my friend, not a god ,that much closeness i'll feel when i pray to god.
    keep posting.

5. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Hi again! Cheeniya,

Thank you for such a warm response. If I can inspire you to continue writing like this, I am doubly blessed. First, cos I get to read the profound work and second cos, to an extent, I spurred it on. If God have me a choice to be a writer or a Muse, I would choose Muse. Moi, I too once nurtured dreams of becoming a writer. In fact even started not one, but two novels. Now they are lying among virtual cobwebs in my harddisk.

(have you seen the movie The Muse, in which Sharon Stone plays the Muse?)

Keep em flowing!

regards
    Vidya

6. abhatv

abhatv Senior IL'ite

Hello Cheeniya sir,

Even I do not think that the language matters at all to God. As you said he is the greatest linguist. If you speak from your heart, he will surely hear.

Regards,

Abha.

7. Cheeniya

Dear vivbass
    Down the ages, different people have had different relationshiphs with God
    Some have treated Him like a child and chided Him for His actions
    Some have treated Him like a lover
    Some as a Father, Mother, Brother or Sister
    Many as a close Friend
    Some look upon Him as Super Boss
    But as a Super Boss, you can never get close to Him and you'll only go on currying favor with Him!
    Your method is THE best!
    sri

Last edited: Apr 2, 2007
  8. Cheeniya

Abhatv
    Its not just in prayers but in all situations of life, if we speak from our heart, people listen. But unfortunately, we let our cunning minds rule over our hearts and never let it speak!
    Sri

9. Cheeniya

Dear Vidya
    Yes I have seen it!
    But tell me why the virtual cobwebs should have access to your maiden attempt?
    Sri

10. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya sir,

As i started reading ur post, was wondering where u r arriving at.....since this thought popped up that we dont need a language , and only the silent communion through the heart is enough...and lo behold that was your last sentence......
    All the perfection of these languages we need to communicate properly is not needed with HIM , thank god! Otherwise just like my hubby is after me to perfect my Deutsch, he will be after me to perfect God's language too! :wink:

Good piece.....that did not go above my head it went staright to my heart!...he he.....:mrgreen: