1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Dollar is not everything!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dollar is not everything!

The other day I paid a visit to one of those speciality dosa restaurants. The place had carved a niche for itself among dosa connoisseurs in a very short span of time and had received rave reviews in some up market magazines. Twice earlier, I attempted to visit the place but was put off by the sight of the milling crowd there. I found the restaurant comparatively less crowded on that particular day and I decided to venture in.

I was at once struck by the décor of the restaurant. It was simple, elegant and in a strange way seemed to whet our appetite. In short, it was just the right kind for a speciality restaurant. The moment I was seated, the floor steward sauntered towards me and produced a menu card that was itself designed like a dosa. I glanced through the card quickly and was overwhelmed by the intriguing names of the various items of the menu. Going through the card was a revelation to me. It proved beyond any pale of doubt that there was not a single edible substance with which a dosa could not be made.

The floor steward, having given me adequate time to make my selection, approached me to take my order and for the first time in my life I found myself very indecisive. I realized that going through the menu card gave me no clue about what I should order for. I, therefore, decided that the best way would be to observe what people around me ate and make my choice on the basis of what was being consumed most.

I looked around and found people consuming dosas with almost religious fervour. While some, who must be regular patrons of the place, ordered for some specific variety on the basis of knowledge gained through several earlier visits, others as indecisive as I was, ordered for a special package that allowed them unlimited consumption ( No sharing please) of every item on the menu card for a hefty sum. They were also allowed unlimited Coke on the house to assist them to wash down item after item. I saw their tables strewn with the residues of dosas of all shapes and sizes. As they were attacking every item with equal gusto, it was impossible for me to guess which particular item gave them the maximum enjoyment.

An NRI family seated in the adjoining table was indeed ecstatic. It must have been a welcome break for them from the bland pizzas and hot dogs. The head of the family was in a confessional mood. I could hear him clearly telling his wife that Indians were unbeatable in the art of making dosas. He was virtually going gaga over every piece that went into his mouth. He was in a kind of trance as Bertie would be in the overwhelming presence of Anatole, that God’s gift to gastric juices! At one stage, he went to the extent of wondering if it was worthwhile wasting his life in the wild West foregoing all these delicacies. Dollar is not everything, he declared choking on a piece of dosa.

To my dismay, I found that observing people around me was not much of help either. The problem was confounded by the fact that the stuffing inside these dosas remained hidden until its dying stage as the connoisseurs seemed to consider it a sacrilege to part the stuffing from the covering dosa. I peered again at the menu card and was instantly confronted by such exotic names as dry fruit dosa! I decided to seek the advice of the waiter who was observing me rather sympathetically. I beckoned him and asked what he would recommend. And he said, “Go home and eat!”

(MPS)

Last edited: May 17, 2023
    1 person likes this.

2. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya sir,

And I thought you would not write on dosas! There is something magical about dosai, almost mystical when it comes with strange stuffings. For me, nothing to beat the good old masala dosai- too bad that Dr Shetty,the cardiac surgeon ranks it as the number one junk food of India! And finally, what can beat the dosas turned out at home. Nothing to surpass a mom's or wife's touch.The doas may be half cooked, a wee bit misshapen, still most delicious when spread with love. My dosas are made with any urad dal available, Uncle Ben's rice, cooked with olive oil- still my husband swears on them.

Another good piece. I wonder what is next.

regards
    Vidya

3. Cheeniya

Dear Vidya
    And I thought you would have nothing to say on Dosas! :)
    I really care a damn about the shape or state of Dosa. In fact my favourite one is the first piece wrenched out of the hot plate after fierce struggle by wifey that comes out torn and bruised with the raw maavu showing its presence at a few spots. I just love that bundled out piece that defies all geometrical shapes.
    Yes you are right!
    Dosa spread with love is the greatest!
    That slogan is very catchy. Better copyright it or I might sell it to Sangeetha or Saravana and make a fortune!
    Sri

4. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya,

Methinks, Cheeniya will not stoop to plagiarism! Let me sell my slogan to Saravana Bhavan and treat you to a mega dosa meal when I come to india next. Till then, enjoy the dosas spread with love.

cheers
    Vidya

5. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello

they say
    thinga thinga dosaiyum
    pera pera pillayum

i dont know about the second line
    i have only two..

but dosa
    and that too
    spread with love
    what if it is
    africa or antartica?
    the shape i mean
    or an island all colourful
    with carrots, kothamalli and coconut
    ...............like the colours in our flag

my husband loves
    moru moru rava dosa
    orange colour tomato dosa
    my sons love onion dosa
    and my mom loves
    lovely dosa served with love...

dosa dosannu
    suthi suthi vara vaithuvitteergale?
    and yes they have a dosa parade
    almost everywhere..town, city or country
    but nothing to beat the muzhu ulundu vengaya dosa...

sathya

6. Cheeniya

Dosaiyai patri Tamizh
    Osaiyil Varigalai
    aasaiyai edirparthu
    Emarndene!

7. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello

aasai dosai appalam vadai
    vatta vatta nilavu daan
    vaarthu vaarthu parthene
    moru moru
    chowk chowk
    methu methu..

thayir dosai
    sambar dosai
    puli dosai
    paruppu dosai
    nooru peyaru solranga

star dosainnum
    karadi poonai dosai enrum
    carrot malli vaithu
    kuzhandaigalukku vaarthene..

kuzhandaigalum velaikku
    chella
    inru dosa parade enru
    vagai vagaiyay avargal seiyya
    emaara vendam..
    naan mattum salaithavala?
    vaai jaalathinile dosai vaarpene..!!

sathya

8. Cheeniya

Neyar viruppam endru
    Idhaithan solvargalo!
    Naan ezhudiya katturai
    Mudivadainthathu
    Thangal ponnana varigaludan!
    Sri

9. abhatv

abhatv Senior IL'ite

Hi Cheeniya Sir,

What is going on here? Waxing eloquent on Dosa in English and Tamil only? Now I remember an old film song in Malayalam.

Meeshakkaran Kesavanu dosa thinnan aasha...
    Dosha vangan kasshinayi thappi nokki keesha....
    and so on and so forth....

The piece was wonderful especially the parting shot of the waiter.

Regards,

Abha.

10. Cheeniya

Hi Abhatv
    Dont despair! The most popular dosa (in my popularity listing) is the Mysore Masala Dosa which has a triangular shape. It is so aesthetically designed, it provides feast not just for the palate but for the eyes as well!
    Sri