1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mother's-in-law Day!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The Mother’s Day is celebrated the world over with great fanfare. Don’t ask me how it is celebrated. The websites are full of them announcing special greeting cards, gift articles, flowers and what have you. So when we were discussing this at a Club meeting, a member ventured to suggest that we must have a Mothers’-in-law Day too. The preposterous suggestion was greeted by a stunned silence followed by a spontaneous gnashing of teeth the noise of which made the glasses rattle. As the gnashing ceased and the mastication of the short-eats resumed, I conceded that there was something in the suggestion though I could not put my finger on the exact thing.

Why not, I asked, defending the suggestion. It is alright for you to gnash your teeth, I chided them, but can any one of you give me two good reasons for gnashing your teeth? Of course, they could not. That’s the crux of the matter.

This mother-in-law baiting is as old as the human race. There are more jokes written about them than any other subject in every language of the world including Pushtu. They form the core character of any number of stories. Take our soaps for example. Most of the stories are based on haughty mothers-in-law and their suffering daughters-in-law and sons-in-law. There is a difference though. If the story line is centered on the mother-in-law and her suffering son-in-law, the narrative takes on a humorous hue and the taming of the mother-in-law takes place through a series of funny episodes which keep you grinning ear to ear all the time. But when it involves a hapless daughter-in-law, the film will be almost like one of those Spielberg epics that depict stark scenes of the persecution of Jews in minute details. The poor daughter-in-law has to cry buckets and go through heart wrenching situations till almost the last reel before the tyrant repents and accepts her.

In all these cases, have you noticed one significant factor? The father-in-law is always a non-entity. He usually belongs to the opposition but does not want to profess so openly. In the midst of sinister episodes, he remains hidden behind The Hindu making every one wonder what exactly is his role in the entire drama. He has a good word for his daughter-in-law when his wife is not around. He wears perpetually that caged- rat look. If you ask me, he is the one who ought to be figuring in all the jokes. The irony of it all is that the entire servant folk of the house, though paid by the husband, remain on the side of the lady in command.

My plea for a Mother’s-in-law Day fell on deaf ears. The seniormost member, having heard our arguments, wound it up in King Solomon’s style conceding that both had valid arguments but since these ladies were also covered by Mother’s Day, there was no need for a second celebration for them. We all agreed in awe and reverence.

2. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello

pondatti sonnalaakkum
    ponnana vaarthaiyay
    iruvarudaya ammavum
    maamiyaarthaane..

eno maamiyar thinam illai
    urakka sollividaatheergal
    tv seriel galukku thalaippu thedugirargal
    mamiyar thinam
    enru paattu paada aarambithuviduvaargal..

sathya

Thyagarajan and Induslady like this.
  3. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya ;( sir);
    That started of on a different note, was wondering where it was leading, but u ended up with the FIL looking lost reading THE HINDU! Very hilarious when i imagined this scene, which also seems to be in most of the households.....i couldn't stop my smile!

But all said and done we do have Mother's day and Women's day....well....:tongue ....um um, any comments on that.....i think some where there is a Father'sday hidden ,but what about M..'s day, i dont think i have heard of one...so maybe for a change we should dedicate one day to the poor FIL , and let him have his say on that one day!...what do u say,maybe the woman'sclub should come up with such a suggestion!:oops:

4. sudhavnarasimhan

Dear Sathya,
    what u say is true, hope no one hears ur sggestion, we will soon be hearin the notes of MAMIYAAR THINAM on sun tv....please yaar spare me, i am the one at present glued tightly to all the serials, just now the high pitched SOORIYAAA is still ringing in my ears...just put off my tv, after without fail having watched g the lasssstttt serial for the day!
    but i must say, you do have a creative way of penning your posts....keep it up!:2thumbsup:

5. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello sudha...

azhagana kangalai
    silar maiyittu azhagu paarpar
    silar abhinayam pidithu..
    silar kangalaleye sirithu
    silar eye shadow ellaam pottu
    silar vilakkennai vittu..lashes valarthu..
    silar sooriya namaskaaram panni...

ippadi irukka
    nammil silar...
    niraya padithu athuvum light illada idhathil..
    niraya cinima paarthu..
    niraya (computer)games vilayaadi
    niraya iravu kan vizhithu..
    niray serial /tv paarthu
    silar net e gathiyaai...

abhinayam kaattum kangal
    ini azhagaai irukka ninaikkattum
    vendame serial mogam....please...

sathya

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

dear sri,
    as always u have not let gone ur inmitable style of presenting, wish u more and more articles in diverse, remember the hanuman does not know his greatness......regards sunkan

7. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello

i received a mail y/day
    ``share the luck of irish e-cards...''

now that there are quite a few days for each day i was wondering what this luck was all about...and in the list was..

mother's in law day 10/28/07
    so get ready to celebrate/wish or write oct is quite a few months away..
    aha

sathya

8. sudhavnarasimhan

Wow Sathya, is that true......well have to note it down and celebrate with my mil...

9. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Der Sudha,

I think it is. and here in the US to boost chocolate sales they have:

1. grandparents day
    2. FIL day is also there
    3. Boss's day
    4. Secretaries day

And i think a whole bunch more. cannot recall, but i will pay more close attention to the candy store next to my son's piano class, They usually have a bright reminders for each and every day.

Vandhana

10. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Sri,

Well , why not ? I agree with u, they have been the butt of jokes , true.How nice it would be if the dIL gives a gift to the MIL,and maybe that one day can change the relations betweent the two for the better ?

Nice one Sri.loved the FIL description too.Regards.kamal

sindmani likes this.