1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Gizmo collectors!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Gizmo Lovers

This story is meant for those of you who have a great obsession for modern gadgets. I mean the guys who meticulously watch the ads on TV and browse through websites to keep looking for the latest gizmos. Their passion for owning these things before anyone else could even set their eyes on them is baffling, to say the least. And I have no words to describe the pride that they display when the gizmo is actually in their hands. If there is a billion dollar market for an ultrasonic mosquito repellent, the credit for the same should go in no small measure to these gizmo collectors.

I was with one such friend recently, generally having a pleasant tête-à-tête on what the future held for these gizmo lovers. While we were in an animated discussion about a gadget that tied the shoelaces for those well-endowed men who found reaching their feet a tougher task than reaching for the roof, the doorbell chimed melodiously and a courier was ushered in carrying a large parcel. I am worse than a cat in the matter of curiosity and I, therefore, wasted no time in soliciting information about the parcel. My ever-obliging friend promptly opened the box and displayed to me a glittering gadget. It was one of those super-cutters which not only cut, but slice, grate and did all that a hapless vegetable could be subjected to. The vegetables came out of the ordeal in such shapes and sizes that a teacher would have found them handy tools to teach geometry to high-school students.

Just then, his daughter walked in, took one quick look at the gadget and instantly expressed her disapproval of the same raising a valid objection that she saw no need for such a gadget when they already had one at home. When everyone looked askance at her, she replied, “Meena”, the name being that of their servant maid. I must say that I was in total agreement with the daughter. I have always abhorred all gadgets that made dealing with vegetables ridiculously easy. Not that I am one of those obstinate guys fettered by traditions who would not look at any of those innovative gadgets, however useful they may be. In fact, I have never had any objection to gadgets of any kind, save those that cut, slice and grate vegetables. Why, you may ask, is that I have particular objection to the super cutters that make life in the kitchen far more comfortable. The reason is not really far to seek.

Every morning, as soon as she finished her morning routine, my aged mother would make a beeline to the fridge, would take out the vegetables and start cutting them as required for the day’s menu. She might not match the super gadgets in their incredible speed or versatility but she would go about her job very religiously and with such a sense of purpose that really would move me. Here is a woman, I would tell myself, who presided over the family for over six decades, sweating it out day in and day out to satisfy even the most whimsical of our fancies, but now reduced to the status of a non-playing captain merely because her age has finally caught up with her.

In her late 80s, when her spirit was as willing as ever, but her flesh was not, she would continue to show her love and concern for her family through some small gestures, the early morning call of cutting the vegetables, being one of them. Sometimes, whenever my better half wanted to hurry through the cooking, and consequently would take over the vegetable cutting from my mother, my mother’s face would register such a great disappointment that would really wrench my heart. It was as though she had ceased to be of any use to the family and the taking over of the ritual of vegetable cutting from her frail hands was a cold reminder that her time had come. If the numero uno of a multinational was shown the door for under-performance, he might probably understand the kind of emotion that my mother felt when she was denied of the job of vegetable cutting.

I do not think I had any right to deny my mother this simple pleasure of being able to continue her loving service to the family. Sorry folks! I really have no use for these super-cutters.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    swathi27, kiran82, s7april and 3 others like this.

2. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hai cheeniya,
    your post is really touching. People like your mother always want to be of help to others. It is a pity that we want them to rest and they think that we are ignoring them. It is always a good thing to give some work to such people and make them wanted. I used to ask my mil to take care of my son, just holding him till I come back, and she used to feel very happy. i always felt free to ask her help, when I had severe headache I would ask her to cook for the day. She will oblige gleefully. And some days, she would tell me that she would prepare the special dish that my husband liked. I would get the necessary ingredients and let her do it. I am happy that I have made her feel wanted always. She is not alive now, I thought of her when I read your post.
    And my pranaams to that great lady!

3. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cheeniya,

Welcome to IL, a very welcome addition to balance off the totally out of sync balance here:)

The title made me curious as my husband too belongs to this category. Ofcourse, soon I realised that it is about affections and respect to your mother which was the key word here. A nice one, but surely, she is no gizmo:)

No disrespect, I surely treasure my mandolin slicer, chopper and grater. Mother can do her bit, but I need this too:)

L, Kamla

4. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Dear Cheeniyasir,

Have been following your blogs in IL with much interest and smiles (at times wry, at times broad). You seem to have a knack to take the mundane and turn it into something worth reading and pondering. Look forward to more.

And thanks for improving our male: female ratio in IL. Our male members,few but fit (Varalotti,Bhaskee,Bambi, Kitchuppa, Swamy,Ayyappasastry,TamilDU,Jey) and now you; add colour and strength to our site.

regards
    Vidya

5. vidyasarada

vidyasarada Senior IL'ite

There can be nothing more painful than to be told , or indirectly intimated, that one is no longer needed or found useful . It is one of the banes of aging and relinquishing the reins in favour of the next generation.
    In many households, older women insist on contributing in some way, if only to assure themselves of their value in the family. A loving and insightful offspring might indulge them, allowing space for their self expression, but in many cases, the imaptience of the young leads to friction and hurt.

Your power of observation continues to bowl me over, post after post. Like Vidya24 has already said, you really have the knack to turn the mundane into an extraordinary story.
    Regards
    VS

6. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya sir,

That was well written piece. I too expected to read about some obsession with a latest gizmo and in turn got a nice stroy that jogged my pleasant memories too. I remember , it always used to be my patti who meticulously cut veggies using the aruvamanai. And then later, when she was not able to perform that duty, it was always her task to "uruchify " peas, mochai, avarai etc... for freezing , and she used to love it. We also had this weighing scale and she loved to weigh the discarded peels to see how much " waste" was there. and she used to do cost comparison of waste to actual produce. Ofcourse those were the days. Now living in a far off land where we are dependent on our own two hands for performing all tasks, I too support Kamla, that Mandolin slicer is my best friend in the kitchen!. :yes:

Vandhana.
    PS could you post the link to your blog site, i would love to read all your other articles.

7. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

To say the least, I am just overwhelmed by the warm responses to my blogs here. It was my good friend Sundari Kannan (sunkan) who suggested to me that I should start posting my blogs in this site. I was initially apprehensive knowing that a majority of the members are far too young and of the oppsite sex. I wondered if I could ever build a rapport with such a group while sharing my observations on life around us.

I now understand that age or sex has no relevence when it comes to human emotions. I find that what moves me to my core moves everyone alike. I shall continue to write sharing my little experiences with you all. I do hope that you'll give me your time and encouragement.

I shouls also thank you all for knocking off some 50% of my age!:)

Vandhana, I really do not know how I can bring out all my blogs under one heading whereby I can get you to read them. If you know, please tell me. For the time being, you can click on my name , go to my profile and read all my musings by clicking on All threads written by Cheeniya!

I thank each and every one! Be with me!:)

8. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

With apologies to Cheeniyasir, for poaching on his thread.

Hi Kamla ,Vandhana,

What is Mandolin slicer? Does it run on electricity?

regards
    Vidya

9. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

With your permission Cheeniya sir:)

Vidya, look at the link below, shows a pic of Mandolin slicer. I have mine for the past 15 or 17 years and grating, fine chopping, slicing is without tears since then. This is one gadget about which I have no regrets at all. It is not electric, plain mechanical. Only, one has to be extremely careful not to get the fingers into the blades, the cut can be awful. I slit my little finger ages ago and oh my, that was painful!

L, Kamla

Target : Mandolin Slicer

10. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

Kamla dear,
    Thank you for the info. about the mandolin slicer. Was about to ask, then saw Vidya24 taking lead. When I first read of it in posts above I, a gadget-ignoramus, was highly intrigued because it sounded ominously like a guillotine for stringed instruments. Now i am relieved. Thanx.

Sorry Cheeniyasir,
    Please pardon that aside.

The article made very interesting reading, insightful about feelings of senior citizens. Clash of generations .:icon_frown:
    We do have to indulge them occassionally, even if the time factor does not work out favourably.
    After reading it, I just wondered idly what I would do if an old M_I_L were to insist on arivalmanai cutting etc. when the clock is speeding like a maniac. Fact being, MIL not so old , no arivalmanai and no offers of kitchen help from that quarter. So, hypothetically, I think I'd get a mandolin-slicer as her B.day gift and teach her to use it. And ofcourse praise her sufficiently for her dexterity in handling it , to motivate more participation in the kitchen. Happiness all round .

Regards
    Manjula