1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Fault finders!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Fault finders

This is about a cousin of mine by name Narasimhan. The family called him Nachu, not affectionately but for a reason. They called him so because Nachu in Tamil meant lethal poison and that was what he kept shooting people with all the time. If you can visualise an aborigine from Amazon armed with sharp arrows dipped in hemlock poison, that would be Nachu. The only difference was that Nachu was not armed with a bow and arrow but he used his tongue instead. Of course, Nachu kicked the bucket a decade back with such disdain as if the whole world was unworthy of his inhabitation and people close to him tell me that had there been an item in the Olympics for kicking the bucket with disdain, India would have won a Gold through him!

I did not have many encounters with him and the few that I had were enough to leave me in shambles! I’ll just narrate one incident and you’ll get the gist. It was a wedding of a relative at Bangalore. I was sitting in the wedding hall after a typically sumptuous wedding breakfast. I was about to doze off under the weight of that breakfast, when I observed Nachu walking in. I shot up from my seat and rushed to greet him forgetting all the cautions that I had received from my family members about how to tackle him. I grinned broadly and casually asked him why he was late. For the next thirty minutes, he was all fire and brimstone. He told me that God had given him enough and that he had no need to rely on free meals to survive unlike others, obviously in direct reference to me. He ridiculed the habit of some (again referring to me indirectly) collecting invitations for functions so that the need to light up a stove at home could be minimal! He wondered whether there was any technical jargon for collecting invitations like numismatics for coins and philately for stamps! When he left me to myself after what seemed an eternity (though my watch showed it as only 29 minutes), I was virtually like a distant cousin of a caterpillar crawling on as many legs as possible to the nearest seat!

For the next thirty minutes, I was consumed by self pity. I was appalled by the unfairness of his diatribe against me in response to a very innocuous question that I asked. In retrospect, I guess that some people are made that way. They have to find fault with everything that they come across. They just do not have a discerning outlook. They go about with a magnifying glass like Sherlock Holmes or Hercule` Poirot looking for clues left by criminals. They are like sniffer dogs who are more at home looking for cocaine than a juicy piece of bone.

Have you ever observed how the fault finders of the world go about their job? A few years ago, Balu Mahandra, the renowned movie maker produced a TV serial on some famous short stories tiled ‘Kadhai Neram’ (Story Time). One story was about a little girl who was quite strong in Maths. Her tutor at home was her own grandpa who was considerably proud of his grand daughter. One day, she walked home a bit morose because she had missed a centum by one mark .The curious grandpa perused her answer sheet and found all the answers to be correct. The question in which she got one mark less was that if an apple cost Rs.9, how much five apples would cost? If I say Rs.45, you would readily endorse it as correct. We would shake hands on it and perhaps adjourn to the nearest oasis to celebrate. But if you are a faultfinder, you will ask me how I arrived at my answer. Suppose I were to tell you that I arrived at the answer thus:
    9 x 5 = 45. You will purse your lips and nod your head from left to right. You will further say that the answer is wrong because the question was not how much nine apples would cost if each of them was priced at Rs 5 but vice versa. The answer should have been, therefore, 5 x 9 = 45! This was what happened to that poor girl with her teacher taking such a dim view. The furious grandpa took the issue up to the Director of Education but to his dismay, everyone was supportive of the teacher! Do you see what I am driving at? The fault finders can find fault with almost everything under the sun.

Members of the opposition parties in a parliamentary democracy take a special training in fault finding. They live under the constant fear that if they let go of an opportunity to find fault, they may lose their job. So they do not take any chance there and do not wait for an opportunity. Instead they find fault with anything and everything and feel much safer that way! On the contrary, reviewers of various items like a music programme, films, books and all such reviewable things find fault with whatever they review more to show off their own wisdom (which otherwise may go unnoticed!) than for any other purpose. An octogenarian music critic from Delhi who used to visit Chennai during every music season was a classic example of this category!

But having said all this, we must concede that the fault finders are more resourceful than complaisant people like us. Take my cousin Nachu for example. He would be at your throat even if you asked him a simple question like if it was likely to rain!

Last edited: May 16, 2022
    Urmila and sindmani like this.

Similar Threads
    1. ARIKA
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. HHj
      Replies:
      Views:
    3. satchitananda
      Replies:
      Views:
  2. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

My Dear Sir,

I was missing the laughter quotient here and there who come with this very hilarious post.My God I just wasnt able to control my laughter....

Your meeting with Nachu....... was superhilarious.

Sir yes there are many with sharp tongues enough to slice hearts like hams. We end up wincing each time they open their mouth, but I guess these people can and should be avoided. There is already so much stress in life that people crave for love and some sweet soothing words.
    It is sad that there is still so much bitterness in people that their words sometimes shock you.
    I remember an old uncle of ours. It was his birthday and we were invited by his wife .We were kids and hence the birthdays had a specialplace in our lives. The moment we all kids reached there we wished him. And his reply was "Whats the big deal here.? What is a birthday.? I dont like all this wishing nonsense. The birthday is the day I was born and this birth has given me nothing but problems. Had one not been born one wouldnt face problems at all. This is just anoter stupid way to spend money , the hard earned money that we spend our sweat in earning". This was almost two decades ago but his words were so shocking that none of us cousins have yet forgotten it and still we do speak about it whenever we meet. Of course after that year we never went to his house on his b'day and never wished him. And we do avoid wishing him just like I would avoid asking Nachu about the rain.

Loved your post Sir , so very hilarious .. thankyou so much for this great treat!!

Love,
    Your Mol

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  3. Cheeniya

My dear Mol
    The story of your uncle only reinforces my belief that there will be a Nachu in every family and in every community. Over a period of time, I have learnt to look at the pathetically humourous side of their behaviour! Some of their tantrums evoke a lot of fun and frolic within me and it will be no exaggeration if I say that I have started enjoying the company of these guys!
    Have you seen the movie 'Hello Dolly' starring Walter Mathau and Barbara Streisand? If you haven't, try and get a CD and you'll know how people with a great sense of humour and vivacity can find even grumblers like Walter Mathau really adorable!
    And Mole, that was a superfast FB! Looks as if you had already in mind what was I going to write about and were ready with a FB!
    Thank you for being such a great motivator!
    Sri

4. uncannybal

uncannybal Senior IL'ite

The interesting thing about fault finders is that they are so hard on others but usually very light on themselves. So sooner or later they end up doing the same thing they find fault with, in others ! In politics for example there is one rule when u are in opposition and another when u are in power ! (Case in point is Mamta finding fault with the Singur deal. But I am sure she will invite the very same Tatas to West Bengal if ever she gets to a position of power there !)

Santosh

5. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sri mama,

I was missing you a lot here. So you are back with your usual:rotfl

I was also rolling like thatBig Laugh reading your post. You seem to make every thing sound so hilarious.

:eek:mg: what a man is this Nacchu...... Don't you worry I have also met one of this kind in my DH's family. I can quote here as he also has kicked the bucket. It was Dh's cousin's wedding and this man was there. I just asked him out of courtesy and respect for his age as how he was doing.... that's it it was almost 1 hr Rantfor me.I was literally Drowning:hide:.

This story of BM, I happen to see that. It was one wonderful piece which I liked a lot. But on the other side these fault finders do provide us with comic relief otherwise you won't be here to make us Big Laugh:rotfl

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Sri,

Good one. I was thinking of the fault finders in the technical world. sometimes, when we have a transistor, or some electrical appliances, that are creating a problem, I have seen people (me inclusive) prodding and probing each resistor, capacitor, soldering, just to rectify or as a remedial measure.

I invite constructive criticism. finding faults leaves me avoiding the person a lot. Have had my quota of nacchu's. there are people who are always around you with a magnifying glass to just see if you slip, to make a big issue out of it.

finding faults is very easy. lot of people feel that they need to tell the other person about every little mistake(not even fault). Infact they feel that they are doing a great favor by finding flaws and problems, even if they are not exactly eligible to comment on it and definitely end up hurting the other person a lot. sometimes they end up dangerous to the self-esteem,self-confidence of the person they find fault with.

No wonder Confucius said "The great person calls to attention the good points in others while the miserable person calls to attention the defects in others."

That is why I feel the worst of the specimens is the one who searches for faults in others while being blind to his own faults.

P.S. veda always makes fun of them in the thiruvilaydal style..kuttram kandu pidithey........
    <style></style>

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  7. Cheeniya

Dear Santosh
    Thanks a lot for coming in. As the newest rage in IL, I always have a Red Carpet to roll out for you!
    Mamta is a classic example. She is one of our most garrulous politicians of the country! This is happening right now in Tamilnadu too. One of the coalition parties of the Government severed its connections with the ruling party about a month back. They are now cricising everything that the Government is doing which was quite acceptable to them for the last four years.
    You are quite right about the fault finders' self-assessment. They can do nothing wrong!
    Sri

8. Cheeniya

Dear LS
    So you too have a Nachu in the family! I think that it is better that we develop an attitude like The Brook of Tennyson-
    Nachus may come and Nachus may go
    But I go on for ever!

The fault finders also enhance our comfort level because they concentrate only on pointing out our trivial mistakes that leaves us with a comfortable feeling that we are quite OK!

That story of BM had an ending that stirred our heart with the girl's dad telling the grandfather that he should let the girl child submit to the conditions of the society and expressing his fear that such support might eventually make her a rebel. It's a good point to be debated in IL!
    Sri

9. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cheeniya
    Hilarious post enjoyed everybit of it...........
    Especially the way you compared these fault finders as sniffer dogs, Sherlock Holmes with magnifying glass is superb........
    It is very easy to find others faults, without realising what fault oneself is making.
    Wonderful post...........

10. Cheeniya

Dear Shanthi
    Chithragupt is the greatest fault finder of the Universe mythologically but then it is his job. He does his job without any bias and very objectively. He does not fabricate faults to be attributed to his subjects. On the contrary, the social fault finders are a unhappy lot because they think that they form a minority in this world as perfectionists without even an iota of fault. If at all they have a fault, it can at best be described in the words of Oscar Wilde-
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their own mistakes."

It is like the famous Tamil saying, 'If the MIL breaks it, it is a mud pot but if the same is broken by the dil, it is a golden pot!'

Experience has taught me to treat these fault finders as the fillers who come on stage between two scenes with some jokes. No one bothers even to mention them while reviewing the play!
    Sri