1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How I caused Chennai Super Kings' defeat

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

As the critical hour drew near, I was getting real tense. I knew that I had to go through this critical phase of my life with as much equanimity as I could muster. I did not have a choice anyway. A thought that I should entirely leave it in the hands of God occurred to me and it seemed to make a lot of sense to me. So I entered the bathroom and had a purifying bath while muttering some mantras known to me. I wore a new dhoti, smeared my forehead with Holy Ash (Though it is difficult to say where my forehead ended and head started in the absence of any demarcation) and sat in front of the hundred deities that adorned the wall of my Pooja room. For the next half an hour or so, I appealed passionately to every God I knew for help. A sudden whiff of air blew out the Pooja lamp precisely at that moment much to my dismay. A shudder passed through my ample frame at the sight of this acknowledged bad omen. I relit the lamp and sat in prayer for another half an hour. Feeling satisfied that the God would be on my side, I came into the drawing room.

I was surprised to see my nonagenarian mother, my daughter and grand children were all there with anxiety written all over there faces. My daughter appeared to have skipped her dinner and was feeding on her finger nails instead as was her custom whenever she felt tense. I sat down with them as my eyes strayed to the massive TV. I saw some scantily dressed actresses gyrating violently to some blaring music in the name of dance and their hysteric followers were screaming at an unimaginable decibel rate. At the end of this agonizing entertainment, the captains of the competing teams walked in accompanied by a few important officials. The rival captained called the toss right and put our team to bat first. I looked at my daughter for her reaction but found her examining her nails to see if she had left any of them unattended. I remembered the good time we had the previous day as our team thrashed the opponents to enter the finals. I recollected the position in which I had parked myself on the sofa then and sat exactly in the same position now.

I was irked by the assessment of the TV anchor that our opponents had a better chance of pulling it through. Whenever I faced with the prospect of fighting an opponent who was more than my match, it was my custom to summon Lord Hanuman who was famous for performing super human tasks as if they were kid’s play. I did so on this occasion too. The light getting blown away in the Pooja room was making me a bit uncomfortable and I started chanting all known Hanuman slokas furiously.

Chennai Super Kings started well but the sudden fall of the first wicket took me off-guard. My daughter pointed out to me that I had the TV sound muted yesterday but I forgot to mute it today. So I had to take the blame for the fall of Vidyut’s wicket and hastily muted my TV. Things went well after the fall of the first wicket but not for too long. When the second wicket fell, I noticed that we were watching the Sony Max channel via TataSky while the previous day, we watched it via the cable TV. I cursed myself for causing the second wicket to fall and immediately switched over to cable TV. When the team was out for 163 runs eventually, I had to face flak for all the wickets fallen!

When the Rajasthan Royals started their innings, my daughter reminded me that we had the sound on when the other side was playing the previous day. Accordingly I switched on the sound resulting in three quick wickets falling. I returned my daughter’s triumphant look with a loving smile and we carried on this way until a couple of catches were dropped by the Chennai Super Kings. Then I realised to my horror that I was sitting cross-legged while uttering the Hanuman slokas. I immediately uncrossed them and sat in a prayerful position. The Pooja lamp blowing off suddenly during my prayers kept haunting me and I blamed myself for leaving the Pooja room windows ajar that brought in the lethal whiff of air.

By this time, things were getting hotter and hotter and as the penultimate over was being bowled, my daughter reminded me that I had adjourned to the toilet just before the start of the last over on the previous day but I was too engrossed in the match to comply with this suggestion now. What happened in the last over and how the Rajasthan Royals made us look silly in the end is all history now. But that fateful decision of mine to adjourn my visit to the toilet prior to the start of the last over had cost us the match and I know it will be a while before normal relations get restored between my daughter and me. Even this morning, as she was leaving for the office, she told me in a hostile voice that had I complied with her suggestion, we could have at least tied the match by not bowling a wide in the last over.

I feel guilty for having caused this woeful defeat to Chennai Super Kings by my indiscretion. If only I had been a bit more careful, we would have been crowned the Champs. Will Shankar, the owner of Chennai outfit and MS Dhoni, the Captain forgive me for stabbing them at their back?!

3 people like this.

2. AGR

AGR Bronze IL'ite

Dear dear Cheeniya Sir

I think u can surely forgive urself at least a little bit.......'cause in my office we had the same criteria......when the situation becomes tensed for CSK we used to force one of our colleague go to restroom and say as fate may have it the finals was played on a Sunday (Holiday)...So I think there is a Big Gang involved in this appalling defeat of CSKRant

3. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cheeniya
    This was a real hilarous one............hahaha
    What all you had to do for the super kings.................but unfortunately I know they lost. Sorry for your disappointment.
    I never knew you were so strong believer of bad omen. I hope next time all the windows will be closed before the the match begins.
    But this IPL matches were real interesting.
    I think we should congrats Kamalji for Rajasthan Royal winning.............:)

4. Cheeniya

Dear AGR
    If I had known that there was such a practise in your office, I would have requested Lalith Modi to shift the Finals to Monday. What to do! Vidhi valiyathu!
    Sri

5. Cheeniya

Dear Aruna
    Even the most rationalistic people become superstitious in Sports! I'll do anything to ensure victory for my Team next time, even if it means spending 45 days in the rest room!
    You are right. Kamalji must be congratulated but Kamal was more interested in the Cheer girls than in Rajasthan Royals. That's why, the guys kept winning!
    Sri

6. jaishree9

jaishree9 Silver IL'ite

Dear Cheenya Sir
    HaHaHa .Excellent hilerious write up.
    But I thank you from bottam of my heart for the mistakes ?? u did in not going to washroom:hide: ,That resulted in loss of CSK as our whole family was sitting with fingers crossed for RR & I was almost continously praying Lord Ganesha but things were not looking so good From RR's point of view also & than I remember that I shud Pray to mighty lord Hanuman And When Ysuf was run out I was just praying to all daities whosoever wud have time to listen to me .
    I was sure that other day it was 32 runs with 2 overs when RR defeated Mumbai Indians & today It was only 15 but even than till last ball I had so many missed beats.
    Regards.

7. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri,
    I laughed so loudly on reading your post that Vish peeped in to enquire what was happening in IL.:hide:
    Such fertile imagination is God's gift Sri, you are amply blessed by Him.:bowdown
    Just imagine, if on saturday, you had gone to the restroom, when Parthiv scored his first 4, your daughter would not have allowed you to come out of the restroom at all.
    Well, yesterday also, she would have locked you inside the same. So, thank God, for small mercies!!
    In the 80's when Kapildev's team won the World Cup, I had gone upstairs on some errand when the first wicket of the opponent's team fell. As I was coming down, Ruby & Kumar refused to allow me downstairs for the same sentiments of your daughter.
    Believe me, I was "hearing " the match, sitting on the staircase. Needless to say, I too pleaded with Hanuman with "Asadhya sadhakam" & as a result, the team captured the world cup is a different story!!
    Thoroughly enjoyable narration, Sri.
    Love,
    Chithra.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2008
  8. Cheeniya

Dear Jaishree
    As they say, my loss is your gain! Only in my previous thread I had mentioned the problems faced by God. I am sure Hanuman Himself would have been tense yesterday in deciding whom to favour! Obviously, more Bakthas prayed in Rajasthan than in Tamilnadu. If so, we deserved to lose!
    In any case, this is such a relief for you from all the Gujjar riots!
    Sri

9. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Dear Sri,

That was real great.... hahahahahahahaha... Now I fully qualify for calling you Guruji.... I also did all these things yesterday... Normally I dont watch the cricket match in full... I only see the highlights...or see in parts and keep shuffling the channels... If I see it in full... we will miserably lose the match... Yesterday, after a long time, I came home from office early and started watching the match.... I know it is my mistake...

I too joined you in back stabbing NS and MSD... That is the reason CSK lost the match...

But, though it looks like CSK fought till the last ball... There were too many misfields and dropped chances, which the RR took full advantage... Also it was a YP's dream day, where everything went in his favour... Great...

Jai Guruji!!!!!...

Veda

10. Cheeniya

Dear Chithra
    I thank you sincerely for getting the World Cup to Kapil's Devils in the Lords. Some people have to run around but some like Kamraj Nadar can win lying down! Obviously you belong to this elite category.
    In my house, I was never allowed to witness world cup matches that were played in South Africa. I had to follow the scores only from Cricket sites in the WorldWideWeb! I could ensure India's victory this way upto the finals but I could not resist watching the Finals on TV. By the time I was driven back to my Computer, enough damage had been done by Ponting and Company. I regret that indiscretion of mine till date! Some sorrows never fade!
    Sri

1 person likes this.