1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The much harassed God!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, May 26, 2008.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The Much Harassed God

When someone of the calibre of Robert Browning says in his Pippa Passes,
    “God's in his Heaven -

All's right with the world!”
    we tend to accept the statement without a word of protest. If there is any disagreement with this view, it is just shown by raising the eyebrow a fraction of a millimeter. I had the pleasure of reading Pippa Passes at a very young age and I accepted the above statement with pursed lips in the manner of Walter Matthau and never gave it a thought afterwards. I do remember engaging my teacher in a bitter argument about this at the material time with questions like whether God was in His Heaven because all was right with the world or whether all was right with the world because God confined Himself to Heaven. The exasperated teacher told me that if I confined myself to my house, all would be right with my school!

I am an ardent fan of the Italian writer Giovonni Guareschi. I read and re-read his Don Camillo series so many times and yet never get bored. Don Camillo is a catholic priest in a small Italian town and Peppone, a communist, is the Mayor of the town. The Mayor professes himself to be an atheist to the core. The entire set of books deal with the tempestuous relationship between the two men. Both are arch rivals but the undercurrent of their love and respect for each other is highly palpable. Don Camillo has a habit of sharing his views with Jesus Christ every day and Christ deals with him candidly chiding him, encouraging him, motivating him and always in such a manner as the occasion demands. Every time I read one of these books, I too long for an informal chat with my favourite Deity but know that it is only a pipe dream.

One day, after my customary three rounds in my favourite beach, I sat down in a quiet corner for a few minutes of meditation. When I opened my eyes, I saw someone looking much harassed walking towards me. I knew by my famous instinct that he was coming to me for a touch and immediately started thinking of all the excuses that I could offer him. As he came closer, I was struck by his disheveled hair, sunken eyes and a highly creased forehead. For no apparent reason, I felt a great pity for him and having decided to give him a rupee I started groping into my pockets. He sat next to me and implored me not to embarrass him with any alms for he was not a beggar! When I heard his next word, you could have struck me down with a feather! He said He was God and had come to share with me His agony! When I regained my composure, I asked Him ‘Why me?’ like Damien Thorn exclaimed in Omen Part 2 after seeing the ‘666’ mark on his scalp that confirmed his role as Antichrist!

The harassed looking person just about managed a smile and answered that He was aware of my desire to have a chat with God like Don Camillo. He also knew of my reactions to Robert Browning’s Pippa Passes and concluded that I would be the best person to unburden! As I continued looking at Him with open mouth, He said that people had a feeling that God was having a whale of a time in the Heaven singing and watching dances but unfortunately it was not the case. He further said that He received on an average a billion requests everyday. Dealing with such numbers was no problem but for the fact that those requests were contradictory. If half a billion wanted something or other, the other half a billion pleaded that those requests should not be granted!

Warming to His subject, He started reeling out statistics about some 20000 plus two students offering Him a bribe for coming out successful in the examinations without touching their books even once. One deputy Chairman of an institution came before Him and just as He was expecting him to offer his prayers for the recovery of his ailing chairman, he told Him that he should become chairman if the ailing man died! He stunned me by saying that many people came to Him praying for successful implementation of some sinister plan or other.

He said that people like Robert Browning painted a rosy picture of Heaven but He confided that Heaven was getting hotter than Hell! He quoted the further lines of Pippa Passes,
    The hill-side's dew-pearled

The lark's on the wing;
    The snail's on the thorn;

and bade me to tell Him if I ever found such a place! He said “Look at the place where I stand in this temple. It is full of cockroaches and has a permanent stink but you guys have made your portion very comfortable with air-conditioning and whatnot!”
    The tête-à-tête with God left me shattered and when I prostrated before Him, it was with a heavy heart!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    1 person likes this.

2. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cheeniya
    I just read the other half with open mouth did really God come to you and spoke to you?????/
    I did not read the books that you have mentioned, now I think I will start hunting for those books so that I can read them and imagine me to speaking to God................
    Great write up............Sometimes when I feel lonely I feel like speaking to HIM and I do so might not get an immediate answer for it but in some way or the other I get the answer from HIM.
    Why you are left with a heavy heart Cheeniya HE is within you, you can speak to him anytime you want.............you know this more better then I do.

3. Cheeniya

Dear Aruna
    God is very generous. He is known for taking three steps towards us for each step we take towards Him. If we stand before Him without any specific agenda or request, He starts talking to us.
    I felt heavy at heart looking at the problems we are giving Him all the time. Most of the people go to Temples for appeasement of some desire or other but not for seeking just His Grace. People even make illegal and wrongful appeals to Him without feeling any shame. These are the reasons that make me feel heavy at heart.
    Sri

4. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello sri

one more good one...
    wow if you chance to meet HIM
    again
    tell him we care....

this is something i wrote quite sometime back seeing people collecting those small photos from temples and also through magazines and sticking them onto deity frames at home...the main deity gets surrounded by small ones and hardly able to breath(?)
    this is in tamil....but writing in tamil fonts....thats great work
    so just translated to english....the tamil ofcourse has more breath of fresh air...

bhaktha bhaktha
    please wont you listen
    to what i have to say
    please stop your chanting/....
    agreed its my name you are repeating...
    stop and listen please?
    i have some problems too...
    you too...please dont ask
    the idols in temples
    are bathed and clothed
    me ...here as photo
    you wipe rarely
    and when you put the chandan and kumkum
    on my eyes and nose too...
    how do i see?
    whats this putting the sandal
    like shower of rice?
    and sprinkle all over...
    and then offering the milk and butter
    right on my photo
    to forget...and bite bite the ants
    and other insects....
    the flowers sometime hanging on my eyes too...
    if i should be happy listening to you...
    you chant like the multiplication tables
    with no rhyme or reason
    sometimes with a different chant in the tape or cd
    with your mind sometimes on the time
    and sometimes on the aroma from the kitchen
    and to prevent me from running away
    ya to one two bathroom too...
    there are a whole lot of kutty gods too...
    near my shoulders two sticking out the photo
    some on my head
    a whole lot of them
    stand guard
    from knee to toe
    i'm getting a doubt
    am i ONE or many?
    the chantings
    the chemical fragrances
    with those chantings
    you ask for a prosperous life
    to say whatever you have is your doings in the previous birth.....
    tell me dear bhakta
    what have I done
    to deserve this near jail position?

sathya

1 person likes this.
  5. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya,

My my, so God came to you to unburden himself......now wonder why!? :eek:mg:and why not to me......oh God! That'S not fair! Ha ha , sorry i am adding more trouble to your god by calling him for every small thing! even in this post!
    Humour apart, i can get the point you are coming across. When my daughter as a child would ask me to pray for her also in the temple, i would say no i am here only to thank him! She later understood why i said that and we LET THINGS TO BE OR HAPPEN AS THEY SHOULD! No asking is our policy.....poor God, leave him in Peace! After all where can He go and whom can He in turn ask for peace and happiness.....at least here we talk of meditating and trying to get peace, but we don't seem to give him TIME at all for himself! He he he .....
    Good post and i feel sorry at the state the inner sanctum sanctorum
    is maintained! Lets all hasten to make HIS LIFE better by leaving Him alone! Not Seeking Him for anything but JUST LOVING HIM! what do you say! Hope your heart feels lighter now that you have shared your burden with us!:hiya

6. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Dear Sathya,
    My my, what a rejoinder in poetic form! I was laughing at the imagery you created! and quickly checked my pooja room for those small little pictures adorning the frames ! So true, everything you say.....so much for loving and respecting our Gods na! We suffocate him with our so called Love and Offerings, in our anxiety to please him! So that we get what we Seek! Isnt this what is behind our actions!
    My my Sathya, you and Cheeniya made me Think ! Now let me work out a way to really Please HIM without Suffocating Him!:bowdown

7. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri
    You have done the impossible by excelling your own self again and again and again.. please accept my humble salutations over the internetBow maybe this is a question I might ask God "How does Sri churn out incredible topics and even grander level of writing".. I am sure God would tell me.." Mandu Did you not realise that Sri is a of a very unique and high level calibre.. so much higher than you that you are not able to fathom the how !":)... Totally mind blowing.. well written. For the most part we do not think of the much harassed God.. so the perspective was very interesting.. If you had questioned your teacher at an young age shows your intelligence very early on.. As much as God is harassed by all the dirt on the outside I am glad you did not touch on the dirt on the inside..

8. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

anbu sathya:bowdown
    to churn out verses like you
    maybe i might need to be born again
    your reply was a fitting tribute
    to the grand maestro here
    a perfect complement for
    an excellent piece of writing:)

9. Cheeniya

Dear Sathya
    I am sure you remember that famous scene from the film 'Vanjikkottai Vaaliban'. When Vyjayanthimala challenges Padmini in dancing, Veerappa rubs his hands in glee and shouts 'Sabash! Sariyana potti!' Instead of Veerappa, if Padmini says that to vyjayanthi, how will it be?! I am in such a situation now after reading your FB! "sabash sariyana potti, Sathya'!

What I liked in your verse was the undercurrent of humour throughout. Yes. Such a thing happens in every house and the question of the Almighty 'What have I done to deserve this near jail position' is fully justified. Except on important festival days, we never bother to wipe these pictures even once a week and the Pooja room becomes the abode of lizards, cockroaches and ants. The presence of Divinity is of course estabished by the fact that all these insects live in harmony in the Pooja room and all the combats take place only in other rooms!

A great poem Sathya:bowdown
    Sri

10. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

You have brought out the dilemma and the present condition of GOD very well. Humans are so very selfish that we dont even leave GOD. I have seen students who just wave at HIM from outside the temple (well it almost looks like a wave, wouldnt mistake it for prayer or bow. No ! No way)before the exams only to drown themselves at his mercy and miraculously succeed. All devotion (Selective) and no perspiration seems their motto.
    There is an extra sycophancy during the Lakshmi Puja time. The height of greed . The other times Lakshmi is like a STEP MOM and during the Diwali time and on Lakshmi Puja's SHE is THE MOTHER!!

We find it so difficult to dance to the whims and fancies of one child Oh GOD how do you do it to so many self centred, gloating, pig headed , narcissistic, diplomatic ....phew humans.

Cheeniya Sir I love the humour you bring. Enjoyed this post as much as each and every other one of yours.

Love,
    Devika Mol

Last edited: May 26, 2008
    sindmani likes this.