1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Swayambhus and Self-made people!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Last week I was a mute witness to a gruesome murder. There was nothing I could do about it except to wring my hands helplessly and look heavenwards. Let me tell you what happened. I visited an old friend’s house just for a tête-à-tête with him. He had just got his son married and as I could not attend the wedding, my visit was also aimed at meeting the couple. This friend of mine and I share a passion for carnatic music and we have attended numerous concerts together. After exchanging the usual courtesies, we fell into a reverie about the good old days and the concerts that we attended together. It was then, I reminisced about a concert that we attended at Narada Gana Sabha in Chennai. It was some kind of a jugalbandhi between the immortal Maharajapuram Santhanam and the inimitable M.S.Viswanathan. The highlight of the divine evening was the song ‘Sambo Sivasambo Svayambho’ in Revathi written by Dayananda Saraswathi.

Suddenly our reverie was disturbed by my friend’s son announcing how well his young bride could sing that song. We clapped our hands and summoned her to render the song. She hesitated for a moment and without further ado attacked the song brutally. What followed was a merciless beating of the song beyond recognition and its total annihilation. What pained me most was the proud smile that everyone wore and the unkindest cut of all was the participation of my friend in the smiling match! I thought it was very slimy of my friend to curry his dil’s favour this way. He fell several notches down in my estimation and with a heavy heart I took leave of them.

But I am digressing. I came to talk to you about Svayambhu but the word took me to that song Sambo Sivasambho immortalized by Santhanam. I am sure that everyone in IL is familiar with the word Svayambhu. It refers to the self manifesting images of our deities. They are there everywhere from Rameswaram to <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region><st1:place>Nepal</st1:place></st1:country-region>. Such self manifesting images of deities draw devotees like magnet and the feeling of awe that we experience standing before them is beyond compare. If you had visited <st1:place><st1:placeName>Swayumbunath</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType>Temple</st1:placeType></st1:place> in <st1:country-region><st1:place>Nepal</st1:place></st1:country-region>, Kedarnath, Ganapathipule in <st1:place>Maharashtra</st1:place> and similar temples, you would know what I mean.

We have ‘swayambhus’ among us too. I mean the people who proclaim themselves as ‘self-made’. It has become customary to refer to all those rag to riches people as self-made. When people without a background hit the headlines, we call them self made. <st1:place><st1:placeName>Random</st1:placeName> <st1:placeName>House</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType>College</st1:placeType></st1:place> dictionary defines a self made person as someone ‘having succeeded in life unaided’. I think that this definition is quite inappropriate because such a person can never exist.

My wife was one of those who visited an orphanage yesterday to celebrate IL’s 3<SUP>rd</SUP> Anniversary. Ever since she returned from there, she has not stopped talking about a two day old child left by someone at the gate of the orphanage. Thanks to the excellent care and attention that the orphanage is showering on the child, he is doing fine. As he grows older, someone or other will take care of his progress through life and one day, he may make it to the very top. Can he call himself self made at that time? Is it being fair to all the people who contribute to his growth?

Let alone those unfortunate children left unattended at orphanages. Take our own cases for example. Right from the ten month gestation to the time when we are old enough to take care of ourselves, mother plays a very important role. The father supplements her role with material resources. We owe all our knowledge that gives us status and material comfort to all our devoted teachers. Somewhere in the world somebody or other toils hard to give us all the food that we eat and the comforts that we enjoy. There are countless unseen faces helping us on the way to where we want to reach and despite all this, it is sheer arrogance to call oneself a self-made person. Let us always remember the immortal verse of Saint Thyagaraja, 'Entharo mahanubhavulu anthiriki vandhanamu’ (To all the great people, I pay my obeisance)

sindmani, knbg and mikku like this.

2. srinivasan_vanaja

srinivasan_vanaja Gold IL'ite

Hello Sir,

Yes, the first two paragraphs is a digression.:)

I too believe the same way as you. It is a sheer nonsense calling oneself a "Self Made Person". In that case, one can be compared to the character "Sittan" played by Actor Vikram in the movie "Pithamagan". He is an explicit example for a real "Swayambhu" or Self made.

If you call a man self-made, on what grounds you call him self-made? Only counting his merits? But what I really mean is that creation of self can result in a good person, or in an immoral person.

So when a person turn out to be an immoral one, would you call him a self made person?

May be you can succeed in identifying self made minds. There again your mind needs people, hardships and experience.

Only God is self made. Nothing and Nobody else.

An info - Mylai Mundagakkanni Amman is a Swayambhu.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2008
  3. Cheeniya

Dear Vanaja
    Digressing is an essential characteristic of rambling. When you are on the wrong side of sixties, it is very difficult to remain focussed! At 65, I find only my mind very agile and fast and the rest of my being is in a sublime repose. When I think of a subject, all the allied incidents create an arabesque in my mind. I find it very difficult not to share them with you.

You have made a very valid point about the human tendency to refer to only 'good' people coming up in life by their own efforts as 'self made'. Someone from a slum growing into an internationally feared goonda is never referred to as 'self made' Remember Nayagan and the final question his grandson asks him, "Are you a good man or bad man?" Reaching the top irrespective of the quality of the peak that is conquered will require the same grit and determination but still, the 'self made' tag is given only to the socially accepted persons.
    Sri

Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
  4. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri,
    The right to digress on basis of age, is validated by you; so let me digress & then go to the topic.
    As soon as I read the title, how could I not have thought of Bho Shambho? In my I pod, I have created a separate genre as Bho Shambho & recorded the same by various musicians & instrumentalists. My “mostest’ favourite, though I still feel Maharajapuram is the “king of that song”.
    One more digression. You must have visited the Swayambhu Vinayakar temple in Vellore.
    Pillayars of various sizes are “emerging” from the ground gradually over the years. Besides a few of various sizes, we saw one which was an absolute baby & just emerging.
    I did pray for many ILites who are praying hard for a child.
    Digression is over !
    On 29<SUP>th</SUP> after coming back home, the same thoughts were haunting my mind also. But I analysed it thus – if the two day old child was not discovered & saved by the orphanage people, the child might have died of starvation & become a pray to dogs, crow etc. So let us put it thus – the child was conceived by the parents, delivered by the mother, identified and brought to a safe place by the orphanage people. As you say, so many people have “made” the child, whatever he is today. So the term “self made” does not make sense at all.
    Forgetting all people to whom we owe our birth, who have grown the food for us to eat, who taught us to read and write in school, we love to gobble up all fame or credit to ourselves. As you say, the list of people to whom we owe our very existence today is countless. I loved your last sentence,
    Let us always remember the immortal verse of Saint Thyagaraja, 'Entharo mahanubhavulu anthiriki vandhanamu’ (To all the great people, I pay my obeisance)
    That line is the crowning glory of your post.
    Love,
    Chithra.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
    1 person likes this.
  5. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

Youre very right about the murder ,yes its gruesome.
    Infact my mornings begin with M.S.Subhalakshmi. Despite the plethora of singers exercising their vocal chords for ardent listeners I still find M.S.Subhalaxmi is inimitable. After Shankara Bharanam i havent really enjoyed that kind of music.

About people proclaiming to be self made I guess he who calls himself to be self made has the biggest flaw. The flaw of conveniently forgetting the very pillars who supported and propped him along his so called journey of self making.
    But then these are basically narcissts who are incapable of seeing beyond themselves and it is a disease which seldom finds cure. Once a narcisst , always a narcisst.

But whenever I have had the chance to see or read about successful people I find that though portrayed to be so there are definitely recessive people at the background, watching and applauding the success but probably ruing their extinct support.

And before I take leave a very humble:bowdown to your last lines. Fantabulous!!

Regards,
    Devika

sindmani likes this.
  6. Cheeniya

Dear Chithra
    You are right. Maharajapuram Santhanam was the uncrowned king of this particular song. It was such a tragedy that his life should end so abruptly in a car accident. His son Ramachandran who is ably filling up the void created by his father's death, was my colleague in SBI. It is so gratifying to see that he sings just like his father and one cant help marvelling at the links established by the genes!
    I have visited the Pillayar Temple at Chembakkam in Vellore and felt overwhelmed by the sight of the 11 self manifested Pillayars. Some are fully developed and a few are just in the process of growing. It is a must see!
    Thank you for your additional input on the so called self made people. I have always regarded it as the greatest of all myths! From the time the child is born, the mother attends to its every need without asking. She can interpret the crying of the child correctly as being hungry, suffering colic pain, needs cleaning, requires to be put to sleep etc and promptly runs to administer relief. If that child, when it grows up, claims to be self made, it is a great insult to that mother!
    Sri

7. Cheeniya

Dear Devika
    There was one Indian Emperor who annihilated music and musicians like Hitler annihilating Jews. It was Aurang Zeb! It was indeed an irony that a son of one of the most romantic couples ever lived, Shahjehan and Mumtaz, should have hated the romance of music but then for such a materialistic person who could commit fratricide to come to power, music could hardly be inspiring!

I know many people who worshipped MS as a Divine Mother and that divinity in her was in no small measure due to the soulful music that God had blessed her with.It is such a fitting tribute to her that her larger than life statue has been installed by Tirupathi Devasthanam on the way to the Sacred Hill.

I have heard someone saying that the best way to put all the narcissts in their place is to banish all the mirrors in existence! I have seen people cursing the heavy pillars that bear the weight of the entire building complex for being a hindrance to the smooth parking of their cars! All pillars, I guess, stand as mute witness to the selfishness of man.
    Sri

8. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri
    Yet another interesting and innovative topic.. Though I know by now you are very capable of coming up with unique and interesting topics.. everytime I do am amazed! Since I did have some time to reflect.. i am going to add my thoughts after I comment n your readers' posts'. Always the reply posts are nice to read too.
    I think after reading all the replies I am going to give a different version.. I too have heard many people say they are self made nad that they are swayambhus.. I think it could be because of this:;
    Though they do owe their early upbringing, education clothing and food to their parents or gaurdians or caretakers.. I think this statement applies more to life after that. These people have risen higher in their chosen fields ALL because of their own merits and hardwork and discipline. Sometime there would be no one to guide them even. They would have takena chance at their chosen field and put in a lot of effort and then made it to the top. In those cases surely they are self made to that extent. I think this is how it should be interpreted. But what would I know?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2008
  9. Cheeniya

Dear AC
    Thank you for your nice words.
    I still hold on to the theory that no one can claim to be self-made. Maybe there are no visible contributors to the so called self-made people but indirectly they owe their progress to a lot of people. It is like a subterranean stream of water keeping the surface green. The stream is invisible but its presence can be felt only by the greenary on the surface.
    I agree that beyond a point, it is one's own hard work and of course luck that play a major role in shaping a person's standing in life. Self made is a wrong coinage. They can at best be called self-motivated. I mention luck too because quite often we find very hard working guys getting superceded by a few who get a lucky break at the right moment.
    Sri

10. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri
    Its very interesting that you bring in "luck".. and mention that it plays a major role .. hmm.. come to think of it when I make a dish with "oats" for some reason it just turns out to be a mass of brown lump..Witsend Now it can be said I think that when a dish looks appetizing and inviting to eat and tastes excellent.. many factors have gone into play. As a cook I can hardly say I am self made nor are my dishes self made. For example I recently bought a frozen pizza and had to just place it in the oven at said temp and for said time and to remove to get the most appetizing pizza that was displayed in the cover. But as luck would have it I browned certain areas and it did not resemble any from the cover picture.. Certainly many factors had a part to play.. I am not sure why I should be reminded of "oats" and "cooking" in a seemingly innocent write of self made people!!! Can you??:idea