1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to deal with UNDER-SUPPLY

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by sumanr, Jan 24, 2010.

1. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Hi all

I have been exclusively BFg LO. She is 3.5 months now. For the past 2 days, I am facing undersupply.
    - I see that I am not even able to pump 1oz in 10 min using an electric BPump
    - LO keeps crying
    - There is no feeling of let down.

I am a little shocked as I was thinking of exclusively BFg her for atleast another 2 months.
    Let me know how to deal with this please.

2. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

Are you sure you have a supply problem?? If you just started pumping then it will take sometime to get going..You will be able to pump little amounts when you start pumping...As you keep going you will be able to pump more...

Check out this thread started by Poonam. A lot of things have been discusses there already..
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/b...ng/82955-started-pumping-today-giving-up.html

If you are sure that it is a supply problem, then soaked fenugreek (4-5 times a day) or fenugreek capsules and Mother's milk tea helped me a lot.. I am not sure if you get mother's milk tea in India but you can try something closer to that...

Hope this helps!!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  3. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

Ramya, I hear you, I have been facing undersupply constantly, from DS's 1.5months. Say once every 10days or so I would hit it. But I have done the below and managed to EBF him till his 4.5months now.:thumbsup

Possible reasons, that you can work on:
    1) Stress - Could it be coz of your change of place and the surrounding issues? Staying relaxed whenever you eat/feed/pump is the key. You cannot stay relaxed 24/7. But sometime before and during you feed/eat/pump helps a lot.
    2) You tired, not eating/drinking fluids necessary enough for producing the adequate BM? I have faced this, when my mom left my place when DS was 1.5months old, I ate every 2-2.5hrs, along with his feeds. I found an increased supply when am successful at this.
    3) Distractible LO - When LO doesnt feed well, its very much difficult to maintain supply. Whenever she doesnt feed well, do pump out the milk and drain your B. The more your B is empty, the more it would try to produce.

How to increase:
    You would be knowing Lactare/Shatavari/Fenugreek/Oatmeal/etc.
    Along with your dietary changes, do add more pumping sessions. This is the wonderful part of having a pump. Esp, after you feed LO, keep pumping more, even after the last drop, pump for 5 more mins. I have had wonderful results with this. Every 2-2.5hrs, make it a point to drain both B's --> Either LO feeds or you pump. Do this religiously. This is a very good way to increase your demand and hence your supply. Again, often emptied B's produce more often :)))))
    :2thumbsup:

4. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

In addition to Sudha's and Pon's, add oats to your food. If you have Shatavari somewhere that could help too. Do you think you are ovulating/starting your first post partum periods? Calcium and magnesium supplement worked really well for me when I had supply issues related to my periods. Otherwise, it was lactare and more lactare for me in the initial days.

5. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

ramya, are u menstruating yet?
    every month, those 5 days my supply is down to 30-40 % of wat it is otherwise.....drink plenty of water, take shatavari capsules by himalaya n lactare granules.

6. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Poonam/Tikka,
    Not started post-partum periods yet.
    I am having oats regularly. Will try shatvari and lactare and let u know the results.

Pon - Thanks. Yes, it could be stress. Will try to relax. Could also be that LO is distracted. I will try pumping as u said and come back.

Biggest problem is MIL keeps saying that BM WILL reduce after 3 months and I am worried of forcing me to introduce solids.
    THanks guys.

7. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

I dont think BM reduces at 3 months. If you are pumping and BF the little one, it should increase with the increased demand for milk. I pumped exclusively for 15 months, and my milk production peaked at 4 months and stayed consistent at that rate until my periods started and then dropped 10% each month until the supply finally petered out at 15 months. Perhaps you have ovulated, as soon as I ovulated while pumping, my supply would decrease and would only come back up when periods arrived. so watch out and see if you get your periods in a week or 2. or else try these

1. soak a tablespoon of methi overnight and drink the water. resoak the seeds and drink water all day.
    2. eat a tablespoon of raw crushed jeera powder 4-5 times per day.

pooja

8. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

Pooja,

Good tips:thumbsup
    Let me also try it out.
    As of now am fulfilling rithiks needs.. not sure if he requires moreeee :)

1. just to drink methi water or need to eat methi also?
    2. jeera powder??

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  9. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Ramya Hugs,

I too was being discouraged. They say while breastfeeding you shouldn't have anyone around, now I know the reason why.

My massage lady looking at DD crying said there could be a problem so I think formula is the only option. My mother too couldn't see DD cry and was gungho about the formula. Sometimes my mother succeeded with her formula because supply was low initial days and I was given no time even to think twice. I still put my foot down and sometimes had arguments that DD is just crying even after a fill and need not rush for the formula. Somehow DD was so co-operative that when my mother got the bottle she looked at me and cried and refused the bottle. After a month when all left to their respective homes, things were fine for me and stress was in control and milk flew in well and faced no issues.

For you if the pestering is on a regular basis then its going to be problem as stress does get down the supply. I feel that the only thing that gets down the supply. Of course there a supplements but in a hypothetical situation with supplements and all things being there, stress can still outbeat all. So keep you cool else go with the flow. Also it could be growth spurt which would be 1 oz increase per three months. Yes oats help a lot, rather eat the entire day.

Finally mommie is better than a bottle.

10. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

Ramya, BM will NOT reduce at 3months! All our moms and MILs believe so! Even I had to hear soooo much of these, when we were there at Cbe, for Pongal. DS was out of routines, he was getting confused with sooo many visitors and stimulations. He cried and fussed often, everybody including mom were brainwashing me that he is not getting enough milk and I should start solids for good:bonk Yess, I did face undersupply there, but I could manage with more pumping and Lactare. I kept saying to myself, "They all are trying to be good to the baby, but I know am doing the BEST!" This helped me to keep cool, I said, oh yaa, I am thinking about it, would ask my paed :)))