1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Working Mom and Pumping schedule

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by VidyaaJ, Dec 28, 2009.

1. VidyaaJ

VidyaaJ Silver IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

I was planning to write this thread for a long time.. but just had got time to start ..

I am a working n BFing mother right from my baby's 11th week. I wanted to share my pumping schedule here and also want other working moms to share their pumping schedules so that others can make use of them..

I work on 12-8 timings. I live at about 15 mins drive away from my office.. I come home for lunch and feed her once...So, this office timing and distance is an advantage for me.

I am giving it in the order that I use for feeding..

Few Pointers that came to my mind that everyone will be looking are

1) I need to start pumping one day before I return to work, say I pump from Sunday, if I need to return on Monday
    2) I store milk for 24 hours in the fridge/freezer provided I am able to refrigerate it immediately after pumping
    3) I pump for 15- 20 mins
    4) The amount I am able to pump differs:bonk.. Usually I can pump 60-80ml when I have BF directly 2 hours ago.. Otherwise it is more than three hours it would be 120-150 ml

First Pumping session - Sunday -5-6 pm
    Second seesion - Sunday before bedtime (around 11 pm)
    Third session - Monday early morning (around 5-6 am)
    Fourth session - Monday - 8-9 am - I am able pump after 2-3 hours gap since my DD would be sleeping around that time..
    Fifth session - Monday - 5-6 pm (@ office)

Among these five sessions, 3rd and 5th are effective as I would have enough time after feeding and these each pumping would serve for her one feed..

I feed her directly till 11.30 am whenever she wants and she would be hunger free till I reach home for lunch around 2.30 pm. Even incase if she is hungry we feed her with the first expressed milk... But this has happened only once till now.
    I BF her directly in the lunch break and go back office around 3.30. She will be wanting her next feed in another 2-2.30 hours, which is around 4.30-5pm. Then again the next feed is around 6.30-7. I will be back by 8.30 and would feed her directly. So I would pump once at office around 6 pm which is about 3-3.5 hours from feeding her.

We have a fridge at office and I store the milk in the freezer immediately after pumping.. I take around 8.10 pm in the night but again put it back into the fridge at home in the next 15-20 mins..

I try to pump atleast twice on fridays and saturdays though I can directly breast feed her on saturdays and sundays as I feel OALD on weekends and if left unpumped my supply seems to decrease.

I have around 5 bottles including the one with the medela pump. I use one bottle exclusively for feeding. All the bottles can be used with the pump and so I use the bottles in a manner so that we know which needs to be used first. And I wash them using liquid soap and hot water before everyuse and sterlize by boiling it once daily.

I pump, close and keep it in the freezer. Take out ten mins before feeding, thaw it by swirling the bottle in the bowl with luke warm water. bring it to room temperature and then would give her.

I hope I have covered everything..

Vidyaa

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
    Ammu2886 likes this.

2. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Vidyaa - great thread! I'm moving it to the BFing section. Also thought I will stick it if this thread proves popular.

V.

3. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

Great, Vidyaa !!!!!!:thumbsup

4. VidyaaJ

VidyaaJ Silver IL'ite

Thanks Gals... I am happy if it is of some use to others.. I struggled a lot to get into a schedule before returning work and it needed so much of homework to bring into this schedule...

One thing that I wanted to add is,

I never re-freeze the milk if it has already brought to the room temperature and the DD has refused to drink it for some reason. No other go, I pour it in to the sink with a heavy heart... :(

Vidyaa

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  5. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Hey Vidyaa

Thanks a million. This is very very useful.
    Will try and get back with doubts :)

6. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

You have covered almost everything, Vidyaa!
    Wud ask out more if I think of anything :)
    Vanathi, you can stick this thread rightaway, it would definitely be popular!

7. Gowri66

Gowri66 Gold IL'ite

Vidhya,

It will be very useful for working women. You have covered the process...nicely.

Hats off !!

8. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

you are right.. same here.. my rithik will not drink all milk i pumped and i need to pour it down..

doc told that we should never re-freeze milk once it is used..

9. megsmom

megsmom New IL'ite

Hi Vidyaa,
    Thanks for the useful information.
    I start work next week and have been pumping and bottle-feeding (from 9am-5pm) my DD since last one week.
    I had a few questions on cleaning and sterilization.
    1. Currently I have been cleaning and sterilizing the breast pump parts after each pumping session. This will not be feasible once I start work. Do you just rinse them with water and re-use? Also how often do you clean the tube?
    2. I use a electric steam sterilizer. Unsure about how to get rid of the water droplets from the bottles and the pump parts after sterilization is complete. Do you wipe them with a cloth or just let them be?

Would appreciate your inputs on these.
    Thanks

10. VidyaaJ

VidyaaJ Silver IL'ite

Hi Megsmom

I dont sterlize it after every use. I sterlize it once in a day.. usually in the nights.. before every use i wash it with liquid soap and hot water.
    To remove the water drops from the pump, I intially used to clean tissues... If i have enuf time before pump, I let them dry on their own.

I hope I ahve answered your question

Vidyaa