1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to Increase supply of breast milk

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by neetagore, Oct 1, 2009.

1. neetagore

neetagore New IL'ite

Hi Friends,

I have 4 months old baby girl..I had c-section & my milk came in after 3 days..Initially I was having a good flow of milk but my daughter seems to be hungry & crying because she was not able to suck effectively that time..
    So we started supplementing 2 oz formula to her daily...

Now after 3 months my milk supply became very low like 2-3 oz per feeding(I found by pumping)so I started giving her formula 4 times a day so that she won't get starved...I don't want to increase formula feeding(It will lower my milk supply) as I want to breast feed her atleast for 6-8 months..Do you know how can I again establish or increase my milk supply..

I am eating methi seeds, Khaskhas weekly..How frequently I should eat this?

Your help/suggestions are greatly appreciated..

Thanks
    Neeta

2. Sthuti

Sthuti New IL'ite

The best is supposed to be drumstick leaves....a curry with the leaves help. And if are ok with Non-veg, Liver is supposed to increase the supply. Try and breast feed your baby each time, and then supplement her with additional milk instead of replacing it.

And most important .. find your self a very relaxed position and keep your mind calm. I have been in this situation and I had to go through hell, cos I was in India at that time, and my in-laws left no stone unturned to hurt me. We are very weak, emotionally and physically... I was taunted for 4 yrs till I had my second baby and enough supply.

Take care. And remember you are not alone in this.

Sthuti

3. ansureeba

ansureeba Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

The best thing to do for maximum milk production is effective and frequent breastfeeding, take plenty of fluids.

As Sthuti suggested, rest and relax. Stress can negatively affect milk production.

Make sure to eat plenty of fruits, vegetables and protein-rich foods.

If your baby is using pacifier, stop that.

Try having oatmeal.

Love,
    Ansu

4. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

1. Soak a tablespoon of methi seeds in hot water overnight and drink the water the next morning. Soak the seeds in fresh water and drink again throughout the day. I exclusively pump and this increases my supply by about an ounce or 2 per day.

2. Eat raw powdered jeera, 2-3 times daily, spoonful at a time.

3. Eat green veggies such as lauki and torai. they help increase milk production.

4. Pump atleast 6 times a day. one pump session should be atleast 20 minutes in length.

5. consume atleast 75gms of protein per day through milk, eggs, protein shakes etc.

My son is 13.5 months now and I am still able to feed him using the tips above!

5. narra

narra Silver IL'ite

hi,
    i had same experience when my younger daughter was born and i was taking milk bread for breakfast and night time with milk. try papaya, tapioca pudding and oatmeal. somebody told me raw papya curry also increasing breast milk.
    here is the link for papaya curry:
    Simple and Delicious !: Raw Papaya Curry

6. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Apart from all this, do try Lactare. It is quite effective. Also, breastfeeding is a demand and supply relationship, the more you meet the demand, more the supply will be.
    Put your child more often on breast, slowly taper off the formula. If you have started your period recently, your supply might be hit a little. Use a calcium magnesium supplement to help. HTH

7. VidyaaJ

VidyaaJ Silver IL'ite

I am using Shatavari powder, ayurveda one which needs to be mixed with the milk... It has really helped me... Do try..

8. Sakshi

Sakshi Senior IL'ite

Neeta-

Don't stress about this. It affects your milk supply a lot. Atleast thats what it did to me. I did get some fenugreek pills at a local health store and would eat 4 pills 3 times a day. I did not know how much methi I had to take..so it was easier to take the pills. Drink plenty of fluids. The more fluid you intake the better it would be. If you can pump some, that would be good too. I made it a point to pump every 2 hours. Milk supply follows simple supply and demand rule. No demand ...then no supply. Even if you baby is asleep, try to pumping and storing that milk. When you pump, pretend like your baby is nursing. I noticed when I did that, it increased the supply. Maybe coincedence..but it made pumping less chore-like. Like others said, oatmeal is pretty good to increase supply. Also eat plenty of moong dal. You can check ChitVish's recipe for pasiparruppu payasam. It is moong dal kheer with jaggery. I used to live on that and it did increase the milk supply. Think positive thoughts and just relax when you nurse. It will get better.

Hang in there!!
    Sakshi..

9. mssunitha2001

mssunitha2001 IL Hall of Fame

there are a lot of ayurvedic medicines (they cal it as legyam in malayalam/tamil) available in all kottakkal ayurveda sala pharmacies.

drumstick leaves, a certain fish called palsravu (dry salted fish-shark variety), lots of finely chopped fried garlic mixed with plain rice taken regularly, fresh grated coconut, MOTHER'S HORLICKS, lot of curds, milk etc., helps a lot in increasing supply of breast milk...

in addition you may take allopathy medicines with doctor's advise but do not continue for not more than 2 weeks....regular feeding itself helps a lot.....

wish you happy days ahead!!!!!!!!!

10. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

Tikka,
    How many tablets per day? When it has to be taken? Morn or night? Where to get them?
    Am facing undersupply these days... My DS is a fussy sleeper, but once he is on, he never wakes up for feeds for abt 5-6hrs.. even if i wake him and feed, he doesnt feed properly. Breast compression helps, but not always. Am planning to pump henceforth, if he is not emptying.
    If he is awake, when he feeds, he gets distracted... he peeps out often... :) Bothways, my milk demand/supply is low. Rarely he feeds really well, I face undersupply then :(

Vidyaa,
    Shatavari is also available in capsule is it? Where can I get one?

Tikka,
    Suggest whether both has to be taken or either of the above is enough?