1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Foremilk/ Hindmilk & Duration of Nursing

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by ampu, Oct 22, 2008.

1. ampu

ampu New IL'ite

Hi Mommies,

I am here again for some help from you all. I was pumping milk and feeding my baby from first month. But later I started BF him. Now my question is

How much time should I breast feed him on each breast ?

My child is 2 months old now...when I feed him directly he sucks all the milk in less then 5 min.After that i can clearly understand that there is no more milk available. And for the same amount of milk if i pump it takes atleast 7 to 8 min to pump. But i read in many articles that we should feed them atleast 10 min.

Is he getting the hind milk too..as read i think hind milk comes only after few minutes of nursing.

Please suggest me on this.

2. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

re: Foremilk/ Hindmilk & Duration of Nursing

Hey, welcome back, Ampu! Seems like things are working out great for you guys. :)

Here's some info on foremilk and hindmilk. Basically, foremilk is what comes out initially and is more watery and has less fat content, think of it as your baby's thirst quencher. Gradually foremilk changes into hindmilk, which has a very high fat content. Most of the books (for some weird reason) say that you should feed a baby for 10 minutes on one side before switching on to the other side. I say, throw that book away. From personal experience, after dealing with a crying baby hour after hour of Bfing I found out about the foremilk-hindmilk concept. You nurse the baby on one side and let him nurse as long as he wants, whether it's 5 minutes, 10 minutes or 20 minutes. Let him unlatch on his own, and then offer him the next breast and let him unlatch on his own. When you start your next nursing session, begin with the boob that you offered last, that way he will get any hindmilk left behind from the previous session.

Don't worry about your baby finishing in 5 minutes, he maybe getting better at this. A breast pump doesn't even come close to what your baby is 'programmed' to do. If he gets that 'drunken sailor' look after a nursing session, you know that happy look that says he's full and is gaining weight well, I wouldn't worry too much.

Raj

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  3. ampu

ampu New IL'ite

Thank you raj for the suggestion. So my baby is getting the hind milk too.

One more question is ..how much milk will a 2 months old baby take.
    I think it depends even on whether the baby is born as big baby or normal.
    I have this doubt because As I completely stopped pumping and started only breast feeding how will I know if my child is getting what he needs.

My baby after latching completes still cries for milk but if i put him in swing for few min he stops. Does that mean he is getting sufficient milk or not?

4. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Ampu, again, if your baby looks content and happy he's getting enough. If he fusses a little after unlatching and then quickly calms down if you distract him, it may mean that he's unhappy to be away from his mommy, and that's a good thing. He just wants to cuddle with you. :) But if he keeps crying, sucks his fist as if he's going to gobble it up or looks like he may not be full, offer your breast again, but here's a word of warning - he may start using you as a pacifier, and you don't want that. Just go with your gut feeling.

I really don't know in ounces as to how much a two month old should eat. Somebody here maybe able to help you with that question. Like I said, I just went with my gut feeling to figure out if Riya is really full or if she wants me to be her pacifier. It won't take too long for you to figure that out.

Oh, and another thing babies go through growth spurts, during which time they eat more than normal. So, be aware of that too. Check this link out for more info on that.

Raj

5. ampu

ampu New IL'ite

Thank you raj for the link. Will look into it.

6. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Just wanted to chime in and say Great Going Momma. Yeah as children grow they become more efficient at getting the milk out. If your child is latching himself off at 5 min, offer the other breast and let him nurse as long as he wants. Hugs, great things are working for you and your LO.

7. ampu

ampu New IL'ite

Thank you tikka for your wishes and words.

Its true that as days passed both me and my little one learnt a lot how to latch and many other things.

For first time moms indus ladies is really wonderful place to share and know things.

8. Lavanya

Lavanya Bronze IL'ite

Ampu, I was told by my nurse to make sure the baby gets 2 oz of milk but not more than 3 oz for baby's ages between 2 and 3 months.

-L.

9. Rita571

Rita571 New IL'ite

:iagree

And kellymom is a fantastic resource, you should definitely check it out! (If you don't mind me throwing in my two cents, Amy Spangler's breastfeeding book is a great offline resource, too!)

Ampu, is your baby still acting eager for more milk after latching completes?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2008
  10. ampu

ampu New IL'ite

Sorry lavanya saw ur reply very late. Ok thats cool then 2 to 3 oz is ok. My baby is drinking good then. Have doctor appointment again so will check how his weight gain is.

Thank u all for ur suggestions.