1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Bottles - which brand

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by perfectly_perfect, Oct 19, 2008.

1. perfectly_perfect

perfectly_perfect Silver IL'ite

Hi moms,
    I want your opinion regarding infant bottles. Which brand bottle do you prefer? Do you prefer plastic bottles or glass bottles? In some rands glass bottles are also available now a days. Please tell me your choice if you have any.
    Thanks and regards

2. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Re: Bottle - which brand

Perfectly_Perfect, Riya never took to bottles, but one mom told me that it's better to try out different ones and see which ones the baby likes. So, I would recommend getting atleast 3 different kinds. They even have bottle nipples now that mimic the breast so baby can latch on properly.

Also, I would strongly recommend that whatever brand you get, check if they are BPA free or not. I just learned recently about BPA and their effects (what I have learned so far is that you cannot really avoid BPA, but if a product that is free of BPA is available for infants, why not use it.) Here's a site that gives you a lowdown on what brands are safe and which ones are not.

Raj

3. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

I got the glass bottles from born free and dr. browns to avoid BPA in the plastic bottles. I also bought the playtex ventaire narrow bottles (plastic but bpa free) based on a friend's recommendation. I like the glass ones better than the plastic ones.

BornFree - advantages - goes upto 160ml so can be used for a long time.
    disadvantage - lots of parts to clean, the nipples need to be replaced every 6 weeks.

Dr. Browns - I really like these bottles but the small one only goes to 100ml so once my son starts drinking more than that, I will have to by the bigger size. The nipples need not be replaced as often as the bornfree ones.

The ventaire nipples are really slow-flow so my son got frustrated. Also, they are shaped funny so don't fit well into my sterilizer. And if you don't put the parts in properly, they leak.

So Dr. Brown is my first choice, followed by Born Free glass bottles.

4. Dolly_Lite

Dolly_Lite Bronze IL'ite

perfectly_perfect, There are now BPA bottles available in almost all leading brands. personally i feel its better to go for BPA free than glass bottles because we dont have to worry about dropping them on the floor.. especially during the night feeds. I tried playtex ventaire,playtex dropins, avent & dr. browns for my baby. Playtex ventaire's nipple was very hard, she had to suck in very hardly so does avent for her. playtex dropins are good especially for the trip. But my first choice is dr.browns. although it comes either 4 oz or 8 oz and has additional parts to be cleaned, my LO finds it very comfortable & convenient. It completely removes the bubbles. But ofcourse every baby is different.as riyasmommy said it is better to try different bottles to see which one your LO likes.

5. perfectly_perfect

Thank you Raj,Pmahensa and Dolly_lite.
    Yes its a good suggestion to try different brands. I ll do that
    Thanks again

6. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Hi, I jusr read in the I'm Pregnant forum that you are 30 weeks pregnant. So I am curious, why are you looking at bottles right now? Are you thinking about formula feeding from the beginning? Are you returning to work shortly after child birth, do you have any concerns about breastfeeding? Do let us know, if so. While I am respectful of formula feeding mothers (afterall being a parent goes beyond just providing nutrition) I would also like to see if you have some unmet needs wrt to breastfeeding. Do let us know if we can help you anyway.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2008
  7. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

I used Dr. Browns for my son. When I talked to many friends and read many forums, Dr. Browns and Avent seemed to be the most preferred ones. I went with the Dr. Browns because they have this supposed vent system that minimizer air getting in and causes less gas pain or discomfort. DS took to it very well. It is just a pain to clean because it has so many little parts, but you get those tiny little brushes for the straw/vent thing. We started with the 4 oz bottle when DS was little, and then switched to the 8 oz when he was a little older. The bigger ones come in two sizes - standard, and wideneck. I bought the standard since they are narrower and will fit more easily in my microwave steam bags (from Medela).

Last edited: Oct 19, 2008
  8. perfectly_perfect

Hi Tikka,
    I m a sahm. and i m planning to breastfeed my baby. In case i m pumping the milk i need a bottle to feed my baby and also I cant feed in public. so while going out i need my baby to take bottle feed. I wish my baby should take a bottle once a day so he/she wont refuse the bottle if i want to give. I ve heard that if we wont give them bottle from starting they wont accept it afterwards. One of my friends dint offer the bottle initially and now her daughter is 6 mths and not taking bottle. This is the reason that i m looking for the bottle right now.
    Please give your suggestions if i m wrong.
    Thanks and regards

9. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Perfectly_perfect, you DEFINITELY can nurse in public. I have been nursing in public (NIP) since day one. I use a nursing cover that I sewed from a cotton/terry mix fabric and it's a breeze to NIP using that. You can also buy them, they are called 'hooter hiders' :) and 'Bebe au lait' brand sells them. You may be a little conscious initially but trust me, once you get the hang of it there's nothing like it. You don't even have to deal with the hassle of carrying bottles and keeping them cold/ frozen etc. etc.

Secondly, it's recommended to not introduce a bottle atleast for the first month to avoid nipple confusion. Here's some info on introducing a bottle (look for the link that says, "Bottles - yes or no"). At the same time, I wouldn't recommend you wait for too long to introduce a bottle either, the baby won't take it (personal experience).

I would recommend that the first month you exclusively breastfeed and let the supply build up for pumping. I am sure Krithika and other moms will give you more info on this too.

Raj

10. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

...and in case you are worried about laws related to Breastfeeding in Public in your State, here's a link about that.

I went to a Breastfeeding seminar at our local hospital and one of the goodies I got was a little card, like a business card, that says I can NIP according the law. It's issued and authorised by the Dept. of Public Health.

Raj