1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Relactation help

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by VasumathyBalaji, Oct 14, 2008.

1. VasumathyBalaji

VasumathyBalaji Senior IL'ite

Dear Ilites

My Son is 5 months old, i was exclusively breastfeeding him for the first three months. But due to some unavoidable offiical pressures i have to travel. During that one month period i didnt squeezed out BM nor used Breast pump.

Actually i joined back the regular office and shall continue with BF (He was subsided by formula for this past 45 days )

When i checked abt this with my mom and MIL, they both strictly opposing me NOT to give BM as it cause troubles in baby .

Please guide me Ladies

Expecting ur most valuable comments on this regard

2. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hi Vasumathy,

1. When you say you didn't pump out or BF your baby for a month, didn't you experience any trouble with the milk left as it is in your breasts? I'm quite puzzled!

2. You have mentioned you'd continue BF... does it mean you are BFing now after that 1 month break or you're thinking?

3. Unless your baby, who is now used to formula in bottle, refuses to latch on, BF is the best. Please ignore your mom's and mil's advises. If your baby has trouble, you either consult a Lactation consultant or the baby's pedi (to check if he can safely go ahead with formula and semi-solids). Sometimes our elders' advises only tend to confuse us more.

Latha

3. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

What troubles is breastmilk supposed to cause in a baby? Can they explain to you, why breastfeeding would harm your baby.

Vasumathy, did you go cold turkey and not nurse your LO suddenly. I am as surprised as Latha that you did not have any problem, no mastitis, no plugged ducts, no discomfort with it. Knock on wood.

Are you able to express any milk at all now. If so, a good place to start would be to put the baby on breast like you did when he was a newborn, every two hour or so and then top his feed off with formula till you are able to wean him off.
    Even if you cant wean him off totally, you will be passing on great things if you can partially bf your LO. What sort of pump do you have. The hospital grade pumps are much efficient at expressing milk than motorised ones. If I am not mistaken hospital rent out the hospital grade pumps till the LO is 6 mo right (my sister rented one out for 6 months in the US)? Rent a good pump and pump every two to three hours.

Here is some information on relactating. I would recommend that you to do this with the help of a professional, either a IBCLC or someone trained sufficiently in human lactation. It is a challenge, but we will be rooting for you here. Hugs Vasumathy.

4. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Wow, how DID you manage for a month?! You got some good feedback from Latha and Krithika here. I just want to add that unless your baby shows trouble, which I doubt he will, do continue with the breastfeeding. You may have to teach him all over again, if you are willing to do that, then there shouldn't be any problem. Good luck.

Raj

5. VasumathyBalaji

VasumathyBalaji Senior IL'ite

Thanks a lot to Latha, riyasmom and tikka. :bowdown

I really appreciate ur valuable and quick responses

6. Pragadha

Pragadha Senior IL'ite

please help me

Hai,

My baby is 4 months and 10 days old. From the beginning onwards i dont have enoough milk so my grandma started to feed with kanji and formula. Though i used to breast feed still now. She used to prepare the kanji powder with preboiled rice ,ajwain(omam) seeds, sukku. We started giving him from 2nd month onwards. We used to strain and give so it will be like water. I know my milk is the best but he used to cry continuously and he dont take the formula in full as he dont like the smell he like to drink only this strained kanji and my milk. But nowadays after reading a lot of articles about breastfeed i am much depressed that i am spoiling my son. Though i am bf him he is not getting it for his satisfaction. He is crying immediately so i am in a state to give either this or that. Now for hte passt 2 days i have started him giving cerelac wheat as i thought i am givng this rice kanji. My sons feeding tabel is this at morning 6 my milk and formula then around 9 kanji in a thick form like koozh around 1.30 cerelac 2 teaspoons then in the evening around 5 again kanji in thick form inbetween myself and formula. The thing which i wanted to know is whether i am doing is right or wrong.
    Shall i proceed the same feeding.
    I think he is getting it digested.
    I want to increase my breast milk how could i increase it. shall i start the veg and fruits puree inbetween. If i start so my i am afraid whether my breast mil will get reduced
    Please help me i will be thankful if u help me.:bowdown

7. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Re: please help me

Dear Pragadha,

I moved your thread to breastfeeding since you're seeking help in that.

First step... don't ever feel guilty. No mother does anything bad for her baby. And for a first time mom everything is confusing so we tend to listen more to others:)

Many babies cry not because there isn't enough milk but because they (and moms too) don't know how to latch and drink properly and so don't get milk. And for most first-time moms the breast is also inexperienced in feeding so it takes quite a bit of time to get used to the process. I assume you took this (or your grandmom told you) as a sign of not enough milk.

And when the baby gets other food and gets a full feeling they'll tend to like that more.

I'm really furious (please don't mistake me.. i have 2 kids and i've been through this with my first one) that a 2 month old was given kanji. Did you meet the pediatrician or your gyn when you thought the child was not satisfied after a feed? They would have definitely helped you.

Everywhere, India included, pediatricians recommend feeding either breastmilk or formula milk exclusively until 4 months and then gradually starting semi-solid foods because their digestive systems are still developing. Now that your baby is 4 months you can start with apple puree at lunch time. Give only that for a week. You should try different food only in that pattern. Then next week you give pear puree or mashed sweet potatoes.

We have a thread here that discusses how to increase breast milk. But the best guide could be your baby only. When the baby latches and sucks your body starts lactating.

I would highly advise you to please see your gyn and seek her help. You are very keen on breast-feeding your baby. So please take a professional's help like a lactation consultant.

Because your baby is used to other foods it'll take some time to get him used to feeding from you. But you say he does latch on to you everyday.

All the best to you. I am sure other experts like Raj, Krithika, Vanathi will help you much more...

Latha

8. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Re: please help me

I mostly agree with Latha. I am no expert, but I did have a tough time like you, so had to read up quite a lot and what I say here is from the reading and my experience.
    Dont be hard on yourself. Around 6 weeks most children growth spurt, it is often mistaken for not enough milk because the child is constantly at the breast. Very often, and very funnily it was my father and my father in law who were nervous (perhaps my mother and my MIL knew they need to keep peace with me or I will unleash my inner mama tiger LOL.) But poor supply is also a possibility with those who have PCOS. So if you have no medical history that could hinder with BFing, then I would say, by all means you can restart.
    In India, now the recommendation is exclusive breastfeeding for 6 months and most child-friendly hospitals will push that. A paed, therefore, could have helped you out.
    Pragdha I dont think it is too late to drop all the supplements and go back to breastfeeding. This is why I think it will work well in your case: you started supplementing only after your supply fully establishes at around 6 weeks (if you had breastfed him on demand before that.) You may have to take a galactogogue for a while. There are so many in the market and I will recommend Lactare and Galact. (which was prescribed to me). A bowl of oatmeal for breakfast is good too and is fenugreek seeds and garlic. I know there are ayurvedic churnams that have helped women. So I hope you are able to find one that works for you. Here are more tricks to increase the amount of milk your child receives.If you do get to go to a doctor, you can talk to them about using Domperidone and metoclopramide/Reglan, which are often used in the west as galactogogue.
    WRT to solids, please drop Kanji with the spices right away. Delaying solids can help protect your child from allergies. Here is an article that can help you understand how digestion works in a little one. Also in the first year, the WHO recommends that the primary source of nutrition should be breastmilk or formula.
    As and when your child becomes ready for solids, you can introduce purees of if you want to do child led weaning, you can also start with table food. Wheat (gluten) is a high allergen food and the WHO recommends not introducing wheat before 9 months. Here is another link on how to find when your child is ready for solids and what solids to start with. Just learn to read your child's cues (even if the mother has the instincts right, there are enough people to second guess her because she is a first time mother, especially those who obviously mean well) and you will do great. Hugs and :thumbsup.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2008
  9. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Ladies, I have merged this thread and another similar thread and renamed it. A lot of mommies are needing help and having questions on relactation, so I am also going to make it a sticky for now (until our indexing is ready and good to go).

Pragdha, I think Latha and Krithika have given you all of the info you need to initiate the relactation process. Good luck in your endeavor and do keep us posted. Also go through this thread, you may find some more info.

Raj

10. Pragadha

Pragadha Senior IL'ite

Thanks for your advice yes its my grandmom who confused me about my breast milk and told me as you dont have enough he is getting lean and then she started with kanji by saying nothing will happen. (though i argued about it to her many a time). At the beginning of this month when i started to increase my feeding in the afternoons he didnt take it but i never left him and after two days he used with it and now he needs me and my milk inbetween i am happy with it. I questioned about givng kanji to the gync when we started it she asked why do you do so and asked me is it getting digested is he going toilet i tole yes then o.k she told. after coming to sharjah i told the same to the ped he didnt give any comments about it. So i just planned to increase my feeds even more. i am taking ladymil which is available here i am eating fenugreek seeds too i will try my level best to do the best. Thankyou for paying attention to my post thankyou latha and krithiga