1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Baby boy cries always for food.

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by cathy, Aug 8, 2008.

1. cathy

cathy Senior IL'ite

Hi All,

I have a 36 days old son and i am breast feeding him.

He had enough milk until last week.and i believe he still gets enough.but he has been crying since yesterday morning craving for milk.

I breastfed him twice in two hrs.Earlier i used to fed him around 10 mins on each side.now(since yesterday) he drinks around 20 mins on each side.I dont bother about that.I am ready to feed him as long as he wants.but even after feeding he cries a lot and if i latch him again he drinks milk.

After 20mins of feeding today i tried giving him formula(since he was over crying) and he had one full bottle.

If i squeeze my nipples milk comes out very fast and my dress gets wet if i dont use breast pads.Eventhough my boy cries for food..Wondering why????!!!!!!Witsend

I dont know how to make sure that he gets enough milk and he doesnt have any other problem.

I want to exclusively breastfeed him atleast for 3 months.

-Cathy

2. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Hi cathy.Every few weeks new born undergo growth spurt..which is normal.So you can feed him whenever he is hungry.Do not give formula hurriedly.Its demand and feed always.So let him drink when ever he wants.There are numerous threads in this topic.please go through it.

Some times hunger may not always be the reason for crying.It may be trapped wind,uneasiness,warm etc..try to find out and rectify.

All the best.

3. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

I agree with Supriya. He could be going through growth spurts, or he may be having some other kind of discomfort like gas. For relieving abdominal gas and discomfort, I used to rub whole nutmeg on a piece of rough stone and used to mix that with a teaspoon of warm water and give it to our daughter. It really helped her. You can try that.

Check this link out for more colic/gas remedies
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/infants/25097-colic-pain.html. Hope something helps.

Secondly, feed him on one side as long as he wants and then switch to the other side, instead of feeding him for ten or twenty minutes. The hind milk, which is a fat enriched milk, comes later in the nursing and he may not be getting that from a 10 minute feed. Hind milk keeps the baby full.

Raj

4. skavi

skavi Senior IL'ite

hi Cathy
    supriya n riyamommy told u very good tips...

may be he is having gas, ask ur doctor about gas drops...it will really help or rub some oil in his tummy...

after feeding and burping if he is still crying give him pacifier, i think its best...he can latch the pacifier n feel comfort..

Skavi

Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  5. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Cathy - Supriya and Raj have given excellent advice already. I will only second that - growth spurts will often appear like this - keep feeding as often as needed and dont remove him from the breast until he unlatches himself/falls asleep. If you start formula now then your milk supply will only reduce and it will become a downward spiral. It always takes 3-4 days fro supply to catch up with demand so be patient. If he continues to cry for no reason then its best to see his doc.

Vanathi.

6. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hi Cathy,

I second all the advises given above. Ananya is now 7 weeks old and yesterday was exactly like what you have mentioned. She wanted to latch all the time. Then by evening she was alright. I think it also depends on the weather... yesterday was too hot and may be she was uncomfortable. There have also been days when she was colicky and found comforting just latching. As Vanathi says don't give formula yet unless the paed is unhappy with her weight and suggests the same. Because one ,yes mother's milk works on demand basis and second if the baby gets used to drinking formula, esp from a bottle, then you have difficulties getting her on to nursing again.

There are difficult days but don't worry. I'll take her to a doctor if the baby cries (and not whines.. i suppose you are already able to make the difference between each type of crying) non-stop.

Latha

7. cathy

cathy Senior IL'ite

Thanks a lot everyone for your valuable suggestions.

My son is doing fine now.

I was not aware of this Fore milk and Hind milk concept before.So i used to feed my son 10 mins on each side thinking that he will get enough milk.So he had got only the watery milk which made him feel hungry quite frequently.

After reading all of your replies i feed him completely on one side until he pulls away and he is totally satistfied.Bow

Take care all of you.

-Rgds,
    Cathy

8. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Cathy, I am glad it all worked out well.

Raj

9. priyauc

priyauc Bronze IL'ite

In earlier days the concept was to feed the baby on either side for 10-15 minutes, but now research has shown that the hind milk is released after several minutes of nursing. It is similar in texture to cream and has the highest concentration of fat. The hind-milk has a relaxing effect on your baby. Hind-milk helps your baby feel satisfied and gain weight. Feed your baby until you see a sleepy, satisfied look on your baby’s face.
    When first starting to breastfeed, the first milk the baby receives is called foremilk. It is thin and watery with a light blue tinge. Foremilk is largely water needed to satisfy your baby’s thirst.
    Only once the baby is fully satisfied from 1 breast must you offer the next breast. Alternate breasts at each feed. The baby must breastfeed every 2-3 hours.