1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

NIP(Nursing In Public)- How do u feel

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by dsrini, Jan 22, 2008.

1. dsrini

dsrini Bronze IL'ite

Hi Gals

Lets start discussing the comfortable level when it comes to NIP.

Till now I don't have problem. Previously I will go to the car to feed her, but now I am going to the fitting room, if u haven't plz try its very comfortable but I have only one problem, my daughter makes lot of noiseshakehead.
    Lot of people go to the restroom but I don't like to do it that way.

Also the stores in our city doesn't have nursing room, not even in my Ped's office. But only after 3 months I asked them about this & they said I can feed her in the room right after the doc finishes her check up which is great.

Do u know that every state has different rules when it comes to NIP?

Ok I have to go she is crying. Plz share urs...

DSrini

Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  2. dsrini

dsrini Bronze IL'ite

mmmmmmmm.......

I guess everyone is Busy........:|

:confused2: :? :confused:

3. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Hi Dhivya,
    I am rather uncomfortable with the idea of NIP. I have nursed once in the car, but otherwise always make it a point to feed Aadhu before we go anyplace and I get home before his next feed. Actually most of our outings until now have been to friends/relatives houses so no problem there - I just ask if I can use a bedroom and feed him there. Next mnth we are making a trip to Chennai and will be doing a lot of shopping there, I'll have to figure out some way of feeding him away from home by then.

Vanathi.

4. dsrini

dsrini Bronze IL'ite

Hi Vani(I guess I can refer u like this)

Thanks for ur reply.
    One Suggestion: Try nursing in front of the mirror so u will get an idea on how much u need to cover, this really helps.

Howz is Aadhu doing? I will post details about Aditi in our group.

Dhivya

5. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hi Vanathi, Dhivya, When i was in india (bet birth and my boy was 3 months old) i always fed before leaving home and returned soon. There were times i got caught outside (like visiting travel agent etc.,) and such instances i sat inside the car and fed. But this too was uncomfortable coz at traffic light i've noticed people trying to take a peek :( In Germany i use public transport system (this is to highlight that my shopping expeditions are within the city and does not take long). So i normally knew how long and when to return home. But the shopping malls, some cafes have a feeding room and very very comfortable. and people don't stare at you (i mean the feeding place is in the diaper changing room and many men too come to change their babies). so i never felt odd. Even when we went on week-end expeditions somewhere i have always used the feeding room in highway restaurants. In flight i used to cover well with a towel (and my husband helped me hold the towel). Latha

6. kavya007

kavya007 Gold IL'ite

Hi,

I have nursed in public and it is not a big deal. I was also shy initially. I have also nursed on a flight. So long as you cover yourself up properly it is okay. There are strict laws in US that protect women nursing in public.

Thanks,
    Kavya.

7. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

I have no idea how it is in the US but here in India an ordinary woman simply walking on the road minding her own business invites stares/comments from the men. So NIP....forget it. Unless you have a women-only space (other than the restrooms) in malls, restaraunts etc. I dont see how it is possible. Dhivya...I really like your mirror idea. Will try it and see. And Kavya...no law is going to stop a man from looking or commenting if he wants to, dont you think?

Vanathi.

8. dsrini

dsrini Bronze IL'ite

Hi Latha, Kavya Vani thanks for sharing.

Yes Vani in US every state has different law on this. Lot of people have been asked to go out of restaurants, stores even get down from the plane coz they were BFing. Few of them have filed a law suit based on their state law(I read about this in Mothering Magazine)- wonderful magazine.

We went to Pittsburgh when Aditi was 2 months, its 9 hrs drive & with lot of stop over it took 13 hrs and during every break I fed her inside the car. Nobody noticed(my mom r my hubby will cover) but when returning I fed her in a parking lot, 2 old men were literally staring at me even when I am fully covered & also one lady gave a angry look (as if like " What the hell r u doing?") but I didn't care, it hurts when ladies stare like that.:idontgetit:

But now I can't even cover coz she will take that so I am using fitting room which is gr8.

Dhivya

9. CSLakshmi3005

CSLakshmi3005 New IL'ite

Hi Divya,
    Just saw this thread today...

i m very uncomfortable feeding Preethi in public..i used to feed her and return back before her next feed..after preethi was 3 months..
    i tried to bottle feed her..would express my milk in bottle and feed her..
    but after starting with semi solids she refuses to bottle .:(..
    just as vanathi said plp here stare at u...
    the last time we we went out for shopping.. i had to feed her in a VERY SMALL store room. and with My MIL standing to avoid stares.. i was very uncomfortable.. but had no other go..
    planning to train her again on bottle..