1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

LO's very slow weight gain

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by kdksunshine, Apr 27, 2010.

1. kdksunshine

kdksunshine New IL'ite

Hi IL's

My DD is now 6 weeks old.She weighed 9 pounds 12 ounces when she was born.She dropped to 8 15'' in the hospital and gained 9 2'' after 3 days.After her 2 weeks checkup she was in the same weight and from then on we are visiting the pediatrician every 2 days to check the weight since she didn't gain her birth weight.

She is EBF and she will take only 5-10 minutes every 2 hours and during sleep she will stay longer. The doctor said that her intake is very less and that is the reason for not gaining weight.But she is getting pretty good wet diapers. The nurse weigh her after intake and even in 5 minutes she is taking 2&1/2 ounces.

Since she is colicky&gassy I am not taking any diary products and lot of food restrictions. Is my milk not nutrient enough?

Now after 6 weeks she reached the birth weight.Is this a big issue to consider? What can I do to increase her weight? I am desperate and I am waiting for IL's valuable suggestion.

Kani.

2. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Kani, How often does your baby get on your breasts? 2.5 oz is not bad at all - a newborn typically feeds between 2 to 3.5 oz. So, I think she is getting enough from you, breast compressions may help you get some of the hind milk with every bfing session.
    Does your LO have some reflux, does she spit up large-ish amounts and/or vomit after nursing? Is she on any meds for that? I have a child with dairy sensitivity and I had to go off dairy products too, but DS continued to gain well. So I dont think there is an issue with your breastmilk. For your questions on breastfeeding, do look up kellymom.com or Dr Jack Newman's sites. You will find very reassuring information there.
    I think it maybe worthwhile to investigate the reflux angle.

3. kdksunshine

kdksunshine New IL'ite

Thanks for your reply tikka.
    She used to spit a little but not a lot.Since she is gassy when the gas pass on she will cry and stop nursing.
    I will definitely look into the site you recommend.

Kani.