1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ameda or Medala?

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by cutekid, Mar 18, 2010.

1. cutekid

cutekid Silver IL'ite

Hi friends,

Have u ever used Ameda Breast Pump?Many people say its equally good as Medala.Here Medala is too expensive & Ameda is just half the price.Any suggestions?

Also before the baby is born is it a good idea to buy the breast pump?

how to know which breast shield size will fit me the best?

2. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

A lot of moms in another bfing support group that I was a part of used Purely Yours and it did very well for them. Medela apparently has an excellent after sale service, not sure about Ameda on the customer service part.
    Am i missing something here, why do you need a nipple shield?

3. cutekid

cutekid Silver IL'ite

Thanks Tikka,

I was considering Ameda as Medala was bit expensive.

Breast shields are mandatorily used right with the B.Pump.ACtually I have never seen a B.Pump just from the vedios or internet i found that the shield has to be of proper size for suction or if too tight will get sore nipples.correct me if I am worng.Do not much about that.Thanks once again.

4. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Do you mean the horns (the funnel shaped things) that sit over the nipple for collecting BM? Yes they do need to be of proper size or else your nipples will chafe and hurt. To choose a horn size try a pump and see what your nipples look like inside of the flange (tunnel) of the horn. Your nipples should become long and slightly narrower after pumping for 2 minutes and should not rub against the sides of the flanges. If your nipples feel sore after pumping, it could be due to small size shields. The right size shield makes a very big difference.

Do you have the option of renting a pump? You will have to buy all the parts that come in contact with the milk but the pump itself can be rented. I used a rented Medela Lactina for nearly a year and just loved it. I also tried a hospital grade Ameda but it just didn't work as well as the Lactina. Of course if you need it long term then buying is more economical than renting.

5. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

I have been using Medela pump in style for the past 8 months and love it. I have the double pump and can pump milk from both breasts within 15-20 mins sometimes quicker too..

Regarding breast shields(the funnels), initially I used 24 mm but it was too small. Then I moved to 27mm. Usually one pair of shields come along with the pump (usually 24mm) and is included in the cost of the pump. Try that and if it's too small for you then you have to get the bigger size.

Hope this helps

6. cutekid

cutekid Silver IL'ite

Hi Gauri & Mridusudha,

Ya I was mentioning about the breast shileds only.Thanks for your feedback.