1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How much milk should 8th month old baby drink apart from solids?

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by ampu, Apr 3, 2009.

1. ampu

ampu New IL'ite

Hi all mom's

I want all your suggestion regarding...milk intake of my baby...he is now in his 8th month. I am breastfeeding him early in the morning mid day once and before his night sleep. After long time I pumped milk to see whats the amount of quantity I am getting...I pumped in the morning at 9 I got around 2 1/2 oz and again at 1 after 4 hours i got 2 2/12. My milk supply went down as he is taking solids.

Three feedings is it enough for the baby? And regarding solids I give him baby cereal in the morning...in the afternoon rice with dal or vegetable gerber evening fruit (gerber or homemade) and night baby cereal.

He is happy with the feeding I dont think he is hungry anymore . My concern is how much quantity of milk 8th month baby should drink for healthy diet??

Please respond........

Thanks
    AMpu

2. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Ampu, this is the advice I followed while introducing solids:
    An excerpt from the link.

I would think he will do better nutrition wise with two additional sessions. Just my two cents.

3. ampu

ampu New IL'ite

Thank you Tikka for the reply. Will increasing the feeding sessions to five. I had doctor appointment today for his check up and he too suggested for 5 milk feedings and 2 or 3 solid feedings.

Only thing is need to work on my milk supply again to get them for five sessions.

Thanks once again.

4. arvik06

arvik06 New IL'ite

ampu

U can try to feed the baby first and then offer him solids..as Bm should be the major source of a babies calories in the first year..A baby should continue to drink the same amount of breastmilk through the first year and solids should be given as an extra source of calories to meet his increasing needs.

5. manshreya

manshreya Senior IL'ite

Hi Friends,

I am back again for all your valuable suggestions....my breastfed 9 months old DD is not taking milk from last two weeks.(tried nursing, sippy cup, spoon....of no use)...similar tension as of urs Ampu...

as per her ped i tried pumping the milk and gave it in sippy cup but she is refusing to drink....nor is she intertested in nursing(not on my breast for atleast a minute).
    i found out that my milk suppy has really gone down...2-3 oz twice a day(when pumped).
    and when tracked she has taken just 2oz per day for 3 days...with one night feeding...thats all...will it be suffiecient for her...

she had an ear infection..some days back however she is not been taking milk from a long time ago...i am worried as to what cud be the reason for her behaviour...or what can i do to ..make her drink milk..
    yeah but one thing she is taking solids....is it becoming more stuffing for her that she is not hungry for milk????

pls help me friends....with ur tips....

eagerly looking for all ur replies...

thanks

6. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Man, how long has this been going on? Do you think there is teething involved here... Some babies find it difficult to suckle when they are about to have a tooth break through.
    Here is a write up about nursing strike.
    WE used pumped milk as a drink along solid foods in the place of water - this was mainly to ease some constipation - but that could work to ensure she has some milk to drink. We also used a mesh feeder for fruits, moms in another breastfeeding support group used pumped and frozen breastmilk in the meshfeeder or even momsicles when their LOs went through a nursing strike.

7. asha_karthik

asha_karthik Silver IL'ite

when i started solids for my DS going to be 7 months in another week, i found his milk intake drastically reduced for about 2-3 days. i ruthlessly cut down one solid feed fully so that his milk intake increased. again, as tikka said, he drinks milk post lunch in place of water. and i feed him around 2-3 times in the nights as well. i dont know if its a good practice in the long run, but since i work outside of home, i wanted to compensate in the nights and also coz DS was more of a night feeder. i think u shd try decreasing the quantity you offer her for each feed and check. good luck manshreya!

8. nemo

nemo Senior IL'ite

hi ladies,

one of my friend is having six months old baby. she is quite confused with the baby's diet. the baby was premature at birth. but now ok. the baby is not having any milk or milk substitute in its diet. only small quantity of cows milk while preparing cereal mix. the baby's diet is entirely depended on cereal mixtures. And taking one feed of protien mix as per doctor's advise. is this enough for a six month old baby. pls share your opinions.
    :bonk

9. manshreya

manshreya Senior IL'ite

Hi Friends,

thank you for ur quick response Tikka and Asha.
    I am sorry for replying late..was tensed abt baby's diet etc...
    I have visited her doc and accordingly trying to breastfeed more frequently till DD gets back to her normal routine... now she is doing better..hopefully she improves her intake of milk in due course....
    and yes Asha i have reduced the quantity of the solids...

We will be going to India next month and I am not sure if everytime i can breastfeed her..like if we r out travelling...parties...etc so as a contingency plan

I am trying to give her sippy / bottle now, just once in the evening for the practice sake...(tried sippy cup she is not able to drink it thru that)...i am confused if i am doing right????

pls post in ur suggestions...

thanks again

10. manshreya

manshreya Senior IL'ite

Hi Tikka,

I am sorry i forgot to mention, she is not teething yet...i am not sure what had happened but not she is doing better..with God's grace...

Thanks